Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Many Vacation Weeks should each American get per year?
Six Weeks 23 23.71%
Five Weeks 5 5.15%
Four Weeks 30 30.93%
Three Weeks 7 7.22%
Two Weeks 13 13.40%
One Week 1 1.03%
Zero Weeks 18 18.56%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:00 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times

Advertisements

12 weeks plus 25% cross the board pay increase..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
12 weeks plus 25% cross the board pay increase..
Why should one have to work at all? That is like slavery man.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:20 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
How does it work in Germany and the like? I always read about how stores and businesses are closed in Southern Europe during august when I am reading about travelling. So is it like everyone gets their break at the same time? Or is there a rotation?

I think the general population anywhere should get at least close to a month off a year. Hell, I have no idea how anyone can work an entire year with just a week or so off. I only work part-time and I can't manage without being able to travel for about 4-5 months a year.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I said 4 weeks. I like to work hard, but life is about more than work. Time with family is what makes all that hard work worth it. I don't think it needs to be a hard and fast legal requirement, but I think 4 weeks is a good cultural goal. How they fund it will vary from case to case.
Government employees must not work very hard. They don't need their vacation. Federal and state employees have stockpiled billions in accrued vacation.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
How does it work in Germany and the like? I always read about how stores and businesses are closed in Southern Europe during august when I am reading about travelling. So is it like everyone gets their break at the same time? Or is there a rotation?

I think the general population anywhere should get at least close to a month off a year. Hell, I have no idea how anyone can work an entire year with just a week or so off. I only work part-time and I can't manage without being able to travel for about 4-5 months a year.

Normaly you get 26 to 30ish days per year and can take them how ever you like once you clear it with your work. As you get older you get a bit more vacation.

I am required by my job to take all my vacation before the end of the year. I am on a week vacation currently will take week next month and have about 11/2 weeks free including the christmas days in December.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Vacations should be based on the terms of employment. You go to work for an employer you agree to the terms of employment.
I get 5 weeks+ 3 personal holidays.
Starting Employees get 2 weeks+ 3 personal holidays at 5 years they get 3 weeks, 10 years 4 weeks. 20 years 5 weeks.
If my employer offered less I doubt that I would quit because I am also well paid.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
I'm not a boss, but I would give them six weeks of vacation time.
You do understand that when you staff you have to staff for vacation. so all employees will get 6 weeks? You have never been in business before or a manager. If you had done these jobs you would know that payroll+ benefits are among the highest expenses. Your plan would most likely price you out of business. If it was enacted as law chances are that our cost of living would skyrocket requiring wage increases causing our cost of living to increase even more. How would we compete against countries that don't have to deal with your plan?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
As many as they negotiate with their employer when they accept the job.
Agreed. With that said, I didn't negotiate with my current employer the number of vacation days I was to receive. I was just glad to have the job and that seemed like icing on the cake.

[when I started, I had about three weeks of vacation but now I receive about five weeks of vacation]

Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 PM

33,568 posts, read 18,150,665 times
Everyone should get at least a week vacation..people need to get away.. recharge and in the end are a better employee. As they put in more years they should get more time off for being with the company for a longer time.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
I'm not a boss, but I would give them six weeks of vacation time.
No, you wouldn't. If you did, you wouldn't be "a boss" for very long, unless you ran a very, very profitable company.

A minimum wage worker (here in NV) would earn about $2k working full time for six weeks. Add on another 20-30% for taxes/benefits and you're looking at over $2,500 paid for nothing. Literally - nothing. And that's just at minimum wage. If that worker isn't working, they're not generating revenue.

I have no problem with whatever agreement an employer and employee arrange in private. I DO have a problem with know-nothings who have never had a single minute of management or executive experience proclaiming that they would do this, or they would do that, if they were in charge. It's nonsense.

It's kind of like a six year old saying that if they were the parent, they'd let their kids have candy for every meal, the kids wouldn't have a bed time and they'd get every toy they ever wanted. It sure sounds great to the six year old, and they can't understand why it's not like that for them, but someone has to be the adult...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies