Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times

Advertisements

Cops Caught on Tape Harassing Minorities: ‘You Weaken the Country!’ | Mediaite

these cops need to go now.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Maybe citizens should put real political pressure on Philly's mayor? Or Chicago's mayor?

LOL....won't happen due to political entrenchment.

They'll have a prayer vigil, say the right words at a rally, punish a few cops and then go right back to business as usual.

That's what happens when you live in an oligarchy.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
That's how some of them treat you in this country. Sadly, its not just white cops. Black cops are some of the worst.

Doesn't matter what you do for others or how much money you make. They'll treat you like your less than.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
A couple of things...

You nor I know if the police in this incident were profiling or if they had based their Terry Stop on probable cause so to argue that this was a case of racial profiling is ambiguous at best. But having said that, in typical Philly PD fashion I found the demeanor, to say nothing about their language to be unwarranted and unprofessional at best.

As for Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter... well he ran on a platform not unlike Michael Bloomberg sending a message of "anything goes" if it reduces crime. The problem in Philly isn't a problem of oligarchy but rather a city where the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police wields extraordinary political power despite efforts of Commissioner Ramsey's attempts to instill a sense of professionalism in the department.

Personally, I find the Philly PD to be insular, arrogant and not too freaking bright. The requirements to be a Philly cop might explain the latter:

Careers - Requirements | Philadelphia Police Department

Old 10-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's how some of them treat you in this country. Sadly, its not just white cops. Black cops are some of the worst.
They say there are no black cops or white cops, just blue cops. To me for a lot of black cops that far too often translates into "I'm going to be a bigger ******* to black suspects in order to prove my blueness."

Old 10-14-2013, 12:37 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Stick a cop in a ghetto for an extended period and he can lose his respect for humanity pretty quick. Is it a problem with the cop or with the ghetto? A tough love conservative would tend to say it's the cop's responsibility and he and his faulty character is the problem, a bleeding heart liberal would tend to say it's his environment that is the problem and the cop is just a victim of it.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Stick a cop in a ghetto for an extended period and he can lose his respect for humanity pretty quick. Is it a problem with the cop or with the ghetto?
Funny, while doing a story on the drug wars I was shocked by the empathetic attitude of some pretty hardcore Narcos both local, state, and federal guys, gals who were in the trenches in the most hard core way. On the other hand, I found that cops who just ride in their car all day to be the most reactionary ESPECIALLY when a city doesn't have a residency requirement.

Quote:
A tough love conservative would tend to say it's the cop's responsibility and he and his faulty character is the problem, a bleeding heart liberal would tend to say it's his environment that is the problem and the cop is just a victim of it.
Gee is if only real life were as banal as conservative sophistry.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny, while doing a story on the drug wars I was shocked by the empathetic attitude of some pretty hardcore Narcos both local, state, and federal guys, gals who were in the trenches in the most hard core way. On the other hand, I found that cops who just ride in their car all day to be the most reactionary ESPECIALLY when a city doesn't have a residency requirement.

Gee is if only real life were as banal as conservative sophistry.
translation: I decided that all the like minded cops I talked to were real cops, and that all the ones whom i didn't like must be have been the doughnut munching never leave their car types.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
A couple of things...

You nor I know if the police in this incident were profiling or if they had based their Terry Stop on probable cause so to argue that this was a case of racial profiling is ambiguous at best. But having said that, in typical Philly PD fashion I found the demeanor, to say nothing about their language to be unwarranted and unprofessional at best.

As for Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter... well he ran on a platform not unlike Michael Bloomberg sending a message of "anything goes" if it reduces crime. The problem in Philly isn't a problem of oligarchy but rather a city where the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police wields extraordinary political power despite efforts of Commissioner Ramsey's attempts to instill a sense of professionalism in the department.

Personally, I find the Philly PD to be insular, arrogant and not too freaking bright. The requirements to be a Philly cop might explain the latter:

Careers - Requirements | Philadelphia Police Department
Nutter is the right political party and pigmentation to be bullet proof.

If this were a white-republican, you could have mass protests and then vote him out in favor of a democrat.

However, since you only have 1 viable party in cities like this, where are you going to turn? Best case you might be able to swap him out for another politically connected dem....who isn't going to turn on the PD union and will just let things die down. The outsted mayor would get a board position somewhere or a political job etc etc etc.

Oligarchy. You've got nowhere else to go, lay back and think of queen and country.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
They say there are no black cops or white cops, just blue cops. To me for a lot of black cops that far too often translates into "I'm going to be a bigger ******* to black suspects in order to prove my blueness."
My buddy has complained to me that his father back in philly is retired from the PD and is an *enormous* racist. Said it was funny watching them hold their nose and vote straight tix dem including Obama. (My buddy is also a majorly democratic voter, just not racist like his relatives.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies