Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:21 PM

27,190 posts, read 15,371,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Hiring someone to work for a bank with a criminal background?

Are you FREAKING INSANE????

Well you know approximately 25% of responders here have a criminal record.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,348,025 times
Depends on the nature of the crime and the nature of the work they are applying for. I would hire someone with lets say a minor theft as long as they aren't getting hired into a role where they handle money. Someone getting busted for smoking pot I wouldn't give a hoot about. In fact, I would probably let most drug related crimes slide. I myself have done several and I'm not about to judge others on that.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,911,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Hiring someone to work for a bank with a criminal background?

Are you FREAKING INSANE????
The best way to rob a bank is to own it.
Streaking as well as taking a leak in public gets you criminal record as a sex offender. Is that a disqualifier?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,911,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Depends on the nature of the crime and the nature of the work they are applying for. I would hire someone with lets say a minor theft as long as they aren't getting hired into a role where they handle money. Someone getting busted for smoking pot I wouldn't give a hoot about. In fact, I would probably let most drug related crimes slide. I myself have done several and I'm not about to judge others on that.
Reported. See something, say something.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Well you know approximately 25% of responders here have a criminal record.
Assuming the demographics for the study that said that, and the demographics for here match.

It doesn't really matter. There's a considerable number that openly advocate trusting people who refused to follow the rules. I can't say that's self serving or generous, I really don't know each individual case, nor do want to. I'm sure there's some of each.

What I do know, is that if you're going to regulate a bank, rule #1 would be "no criminals as employees". The same rule would come from those that bond the employees. Since they're on the hook for the losses from a bad act committed by an employee, their job is to take every precaution possible.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The best way to rob a bank is to own it.
Streaking as well as taking a leak in public gets you criminal record as a sex offender. Is that a disqualifier?
Both are willful violation of the rules. You don't seem to get it. Why would you hire people who don't follow the rules they're supposed to operate by?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,825,597 times
How are people surprised?

We incarcerate 25% of the world's prisoners and dont even come close to 25% of the world's population.

The oligarchy has realized that poor people are a drain on their subsidies, and dont really consume much, so they decided to throw a bunch of them in jail and make money off them that way.

Hooray, capitalism!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,454,644 times
Default Would you hire a criminal? 1 in 4 American adults have a criminal record.

Several years ago, the school district I worked for in Texas required all employees (over 8000 of us) to be fingerprinted and investigated. They dismissed a handful of janitors for various minor offenses on their records. I only heard of one teacher being fired and he had some minor marijuana conviction from his college days. The guy was married and had kids to support. It was tough on his family.

This kind of policy needs to be intelligently applied.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,944,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Several years ago, the school district I worked for in Texas required all employees (over 8000 of us) to be fingerprinted and investigated. They dismissed a handful of janitors for various minor offenses on their records. I only heard of one teacher being fired and he had some minor marijuana conviction from his college days. The guy was married and had kids to support. It was tough on his family.

This kind of policy needs to be intelligently applied.
And therein resides the problem. When you get people with an all or nothing approach to the problem - as demonstrated by some on this thread - then intelligence gets thrown out the window.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,887,409 times
I think the DOL has said unless there is a "special" reason, you cannot discriminate against a person's criminal history... I am waiting for liberals to change the rules so that you cannot discriminate a person if they have zero skills/talents for a job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.