Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Here is an article from Reuters that sketches a rough picture.

Analysis: U.S. debt ceiling crisis would start quiet, go downhill fast | Reuters

I've read others that were even scarier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Even when the National Debt isn't getting any higher (For example, it has not gotten any higher since last April this year), the Treasury is always paying off various shirt-term and long-term bonds as they come due, and then turning around and buying more bonds and borrowing money in other ways. It's always going on.

If we default on payments (actually if we default on the interest payments), then the next time we want to borrow more money to keep the existing level of debt where it is, we'll have to pay substantially more interest.

Ove time, our ENTIRE OUTSTANDING NATIONAL DEBT would have higher interest rates.

Is that bad?

Well, in 2011, we paid $430 billion on a Debt of approx. $15 trillion. $430 billion in one year, is about $1,500 for every man, woman, child, and illegal alien in the country. For that one year. Or nearly $6,000 for a family of 4.

And we were fortunate that interest rates were very low that year, amounting to around 3%.

But it wasn't long ago that the country had double-digit interest rates. They stayed above 10% for some 7 years, occasionally topping 20%.

If we default, I don't know how high they would go. But they would go high.

If they hit that 20% they once were, then that would cost that family of four, around $40,000 per year.

You asked what might happen to us if we default.

Are you getting the picture now?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I think most conservatives understand the consequences of a default. I think what many on the other side dont get is that going farther and farther in debt is not the answer.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think most conservatives understand the consequences of a default. I think what many on the other side dont get is that going farther and farther in debt is not the answer.
Absolutely.

That's why the rational grown-ups would extend the debt ceiling now and then get together and earnestly talk about how to create a credible plan that would get the nation back on track over the course of the next 5-10 years.

But that's not the kind of people we have in Washington.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I think most understand that the government is taking in more than enough to pay off any debt obligation and anything to the contrary is nothing more than scare tactics like we got with the sequester warnings.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think most understand that the government is taking in more than enough to pay off any debt obligation and anything to the contrary is nothing more than scare tactics like we got with the sequester warnings.
This is exactly the kind of nutty talk from the right that makes this so much scarier.

You guys don't understand that while there may be enough to pay interest on the debt to bondholders, there will quickly not be enough to pay doctors for Medicare services, disabled veterans, even active duty soldiers, and social security retirees.

Now seriously: what do you think this nation will look like when these and other internal stakeholders stop getting their income from one day to the next? You seriously think the economy will just keep on chugging right through that?

Talking about how it's no big deal to default...welcome to crazy town. And people saying this are in our political leadership, for God's sake! I still can't believe such people would even be elected.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
They're spending like there's no tomorrow in DC.

THAT is the problem

Whether the crisis starts on Thursday, in 6 months, in 1 year or 2 years, it's gonna start.

'Raising the debt ceiling' is an imaginary and symbolic act of people in an insane asylum.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not so.

Eakinomics: Raising the Debt Limit - YouTube

Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,360 times
Debt Limit Bill H.R.2534 passed & signed into law April 2nd, 1979 the day before Social Security Checks bounced caused the US Treasury to default on April T-Bills & interest rates to double.

The default in April 1979, ended up costing taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars. The Treasury Department blamed it on a crush of paperwork partly caused by lawmakers who — this will sound familiar — bickered too long before raising the nation's debt limit. It was lawmakers determined to attach a strong balanced budget amendment to the bill. They finally relented, the day before Social Security checks were expected to start bouncing. The tumult contributed to Treasury's failure to redeem $122 million in maturing T-bills, touted as one of the world's safest investments.

Many bond holders were forced to join & file a class-action lawsuit against thr US treasury. Some investors that April and May waited more than a week for their money. Treasury blamed problems with its newfangled word-processing equipment. The system was stressed, officials said, when the booming popularity of T-bills collided with the last-minute debt ceiling increase from Congress.

Investors called it a "default" and sued for interest to cover the gap. Treasury called it a "delay." It ushered in an 8% rise in interest rates that took 8 years to return to previous level. That cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
But according to a poster above, the debt has not grown at all since "last April this year," whatever that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies