Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:59 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And your well-woman checks will be covered 100% if you use an in-network doctor. If you just had a catastrophic policy before, I'm guessing it didn't cover that.
We have a catastrophic policy, and it does cover well visits at no charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
We have a catastrophic policy, and it does cover well visits at no charge.
That's interesting. I thought that type of policy just covered major expenses like surgeries, etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
That's the point of Obamacare. You are the age group that benefits from it. This is all by design. Get as much young people as possible enrolled to pay for health insurance for the eldery. And if not enough young people sing up than increase the fines.
Which, honestly, is almost argument enough to rolling back the eligibility age for Medicare to 50 or so. Ultimately, we're going to wind up with single-payer, because it's unlikely that Obamacare was designed to do anything other than fail.

Young people don't think about health insurance, because the vast majority of them are healthy. I was incredibly healthy from 16-35 (and still am), and never went to the doctor. My oldest two kids are the same way.

At their age, I NEVER would have paid exorbitant rates for health insurance. Given the state of today's economy, I don't think we'll have a stampede of 27-35 year olds signing up for Obamacare.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
People used to say, "A conservative is a liberal who just got mugged."

Now they'll have to start saying, "A conservative is a liberal who just signed up for Obamacare."

.....which is basically the same thing.
No....they're going to say a Millenial is a liberal who got mugged.

This is why Obamacare must be implemented.

It's Jimmy Carter, redux.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
??

Where are you getting those numbers?

Under my old plan, I had to spend $5,882 ($5,000 deductible; $882/year premium) before my insurance picked up anything at all.

With the new plan, I have to spend $2,822 ($1,250 deductible; $1572/year premium) before insurance kicks in.

Seems better to me!!!
If you have a chronic illness with annual costs of many thousands it is definitely better for you and savings would be around 3k a year.

Wait for it....wait for it.....that means for the people without a chronic illness what do you think the change is? Assuming you have 10:1 ratio, all else being equal you will need the "healthy" to pitch in around $300 each to spread the burden.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You realize that you are paying $8,268 more per year to *save* $3750 on your deductible. How in the heck is that a better deal?
As stated, it's $689 more to "save" $3,750 in deductible.

And sure, it's not a better deal....until an accident or illness befalls you and you have serious need of healthcare. Then it looks like a smart idea not to have purchased cut-rate insurance. And you never know when that day will come...it's a personal call on risk.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times
Quote:
That's the point of Obamacare. You are the age group that benefits from it. This is all by design. Get as much young people as possible enrolled to pay for health insurance for the eldery. And if not enough young people sing up than increase the fines.
The tripling effect of ACA from 21 to 63 isn't as generous as many are led to belive. Many states already had controls in place not only so the younger people were paying a little more but so women had the same rates as men. The other thing is assuming both people don't get a subsidy the average 21 years old pays $150 and the 63 year old pays $450 out of the same pay check. In the case of the 62 year old he is probably on the Gold plan and is getting a subsidy. If you retire early and sign up for the Gold plan and get a subsidy is that wrong? How about when you are 65 and get Medicare and that is at least as heavily subsidized is that wrong? One plan you supposedly earned it and the other you didn't??

Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Yep, and they didn't wait until after the election to implement on accident.

The young people that don't see the benefit of health insurance are going to be miffed.

Also, yeah...they will gradually increase the fines until it's essentially mandatory.
I would expect eventual payroll deductions too.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you have a chronic illness with annual costs of many thousands it is definitely better for you and savings would be around 3k a year.

Wait for it....wait for it.....that means for the people without a chronic illness what do you think the change is? Assuming you have 10:1 ratio, all else being equal you will need the "healthy" to pitch in around $300 each to spread the burden.
Lol.....now I know why you go by the name of "Mathguy".

But that's the way the, um, "math" works out. Now what happens if you have more ill than healthy? I think we both know the answer to that one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, and they didn't wait until after the election to implement on accident.

The young people that don't see the benefit of health insurance are going to be miffed.

Also, yeah...they will gradually increase the fines until it's essentially mandatory.
I would expect eventual payroll deductions too.

If this shipwreck had sailed in 2009, Obama would have been flushed out of the White House in 2012.

Speaking of "young people", my two kids were in for an eye-opener when I told them that they were going to be subsidizing the older crowd. As I said to them, elections have consequences.

Trust me, with the IRS as Obama's collection agency (to say nothing of political hitman), you'll see payroll deductions before Obamacare collapses.

I think Obamacare will be a late-70's Chrysler type disaster. But hey, maybe the government can bail Obamacare out, too......

Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Daily Kos: Obamacare will double my monthly premium (according to Kaiser)

Love this paragraph.

This made my day, he had to change the headline from "What the Hell is this" to "Obamacare will double my monthly premium (according to Kaiser)".
During the last election, one of my friends temporarily blocked my news feed from her Facebook page because she didn't like what I had to say. She is a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, and my pointing out the lack of experience, character, and morals which Obama had shown during his first term offended her. Lo and behold, she called me up over the weekend and not only apologized for blocking me, but admitted that she was wrong in voting for him. Seems she got a letter from her insurance company which informed her that her rates were going up by 189% due to the ACA regulations. That isn't a typo, her rates are going to almost triple. I didn't laugh at her on the phone - in fact, I told her a couple of websites to shop for a new provider - but after we hung up I had a case of the giggles that lasted for well over 10 minutes.

Stories like this, from people who actually supported Obama and his "hope and change", make me feel like giggling again. Along with shouting "Told ya so!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies