Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,918,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Even socialized medicine isn't cheap. Germany taxes each citizen 8.5% of their income for health care and the employers 7% for a total of 15.5%.

Raising health care costs are all over the world.
This is true. The outcomes however, are the most costly in the U.S.

I was at the very busy local pharmacy yesterday picking up an antibiotic for my husband. The woman in line in front of me was hit with a $275 bill for an unknown medication. She burst into tears because she did not have the money to pay for it and left the store sans her meds. My heart and brain ached for her.

For all any of us onlookers knew, her meds may have been the difference between life or death or a quality versus poor quality life. It happened so fast and I did not think of intervening. Would it have been possible to pass the hat and raise enough money to help her out? I'll never know.

I do know that no amount of spontaneous private charity can help everyone who cannot afford healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 AM

89,507 posts, read 45,208,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I was at the very busy local pharmacy yesterday picking up an antibiotic for my husband. The woman in line in front of me was hit with a $275 bill for an unknown medication. She burst into tears because she did not have the money to pay for it and left the store sans her meds. My heart and brain ached for her.

For all any of us onlookers knew, her meds may have been the difference between life or death or a quality versus poor quality life.
And Obamacare would have helped her how?

Quote:
many plans apply the deductible against drug costs so that the full price of drugs must be paid by the enrollee until the deductible is satisfied
Infostat - Obamacare Expands Drug Coverage But Out of Pocket Expenses Go Up

Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
How are those that now already can't afford insurance and end up getting a Bronze Plan, because it's lower on the premiums and their hand is being forced by government, going to cover their 40% of a major medical expense?

Oh, that's right Bankruptcy.
You seem to be suffering from a nasty case of misinformation. Facts can cure this common affliction.

Medical debt is the #1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. One of the reasons why the cost of healthcare in the U.S. is so high is because hospitals and medical practices end up writing off bad debt, discharged in bankruptcy.

Bad debt becomes the cost of doing business and everyone pays more for healthcare than otherwise would be necessary if 90+% of the people had insurance.

ACA compliant policies limit out of pocket ( exclusive of premium) expenses to $6,350 for individuals, $12,700 for families.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post

Soros $$$ & Obama lies.
vs. Koch and Murdoch $$$ and tea party misinformation?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM

89,507 posts, read 45,208,700 times
Quote:
You seem to be suffering from a nasty case of misinformation. Facts can cure this common affliction.

Medical debt is the #1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. One of the reasons why the cost of healthcare in the U.S. is so high is because hospitals and medical practices end up writing off bad debt, discharged in bankruptcy.

Bad debt becomes the cost of doing business and everyone pays more for healthcare than otherwise would be necessary if 90+% of the people had insurance.

ACA compliant policies limit out of pocket ( exclusive of premium) expenses to $6,350 for individuals, $12,700 for families.
So... you somehow think that a woman who doesn't have the money to pay $275 for a prescription can somehow suddenly afford a $6,350 or $12,700 medical expense?

And don't play the "poor" card. Many people with middle class and higher incomes overextend themselves on debt and end up going bankrupt despite their relatively high levels of income. They, too, don't have the money to pay for a $275 prescription.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Obamacare is basically an attempt by govt to take money from some people and give it to others.

Younger people who don't need much medical care, are getting stuck bigtime, to pay for older people who do need more.

If it were voluntary (as genuine insurance is), that would be acceptable. But making it mandatory, reduces it to simple theft, and distribution of stolen goods.
There's about a 50% uptick in individual premiums between a 25 and 55 year old, in my state.

The 25 year old is substantially more likely to become involved in a serious traffic accident. The 25 year old is substantially more likely to carry his state minimum in auto liability insurance which is not going to pay the cost of hospitalization/medical care. The 25 year old is substantially more likely to engage in unprotected sex and acquire an STD, including HIV and/or to result in an unplanned birth. The 25 year old is substantially more likely to engage in substance abuse.

Conversely, the 55 year old is substantially more likely to be diagnosed with something nasty. The probability for the nasty diagnosis substantially increases at ages 65-75, when covered under Medicare insurance.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You keep avoiding my question:

What is your educational background and what organization employs or sponsors you?
I previously responded. If you are so curious, go search my previous posts. Cutting to the chase, I am a self-employed real estate broker with 30 years prior experience in risk management within the financial services sector. I have never had any affiliation with insurance companies beyond being a consumer. I have no affiliation with any government or political party. I tend to vote against, rather than for candidates, given the choices. I do my homework.

Quid pro quo. What is your background and what organization employs or sponsors you?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:47 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,904,639 times
What's missing is the hit those in the 60-64 age range will take.

As I mentioned before, I'm sure plenty of people are trying to access the info only to see and compare rates, and I'm sure those currently covered (along with retirees) by union contracts with gold-plated plans are freaking out.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:49 AM

3,600 posts, read 6,798,771 times
Quote:

Those are in network limits. Out of network limits are almost twice as much.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If anyone has kids, better hope they don't get sick, or injured playing/goofing around with their friends.

40% co-pay, $4,000 deductible here in Chicago for a Bronze plan.

Why on earth are they such an integral part of Obamacare? Those who can least afford it are slammed with very high Obamacare deductibles.
ACA eliminated the lifetime caps on coverage, exclusions for pre-existing and existing conditions and instituted individual and family maximums for out of pocket costs. The max out of pocket for a family is $12, 250.

The trade -off is higher deductibles and co-pays with the most so-called affordable plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies