Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
My point was to prove to you that I have never made any bad choices in my life.
Quote:
I'll stick to renting for the much foreseeable future. I really hate the city I am stuck in right now (Tampa, FL). I'll be damned before I anchor myself here with a house. I like the fluidness of renting (in fact, I only rent month to month) in that if I don't like a place, I can easily leave.
Sounds to me as if you made at least one bad decision. Add to that the fact that you have no stable home on which you're at least building equity as opposed to funding someone else's and I'd say you might have made more than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Sounds to me as if you made at least one bad decision. Add to that the fact that you have no stable home on which you're at least building equity as opposed to funding someone else's and I'd say you might have made more than one.
The city that I live in was not a bad decision. I moved here for college and of Florida's cities it is probably my favorite one (though I don't like any of them). I tried to move away after graduating but the lovely economy that boomers have left our generation made job hunting elsewhere kind of impossible. I finally found work here and haven't gotten out yet. Never the less, I am finally moving in December. A new position with my company will be opening up where I want to go and as long as our profits don't tank or anything the job should still be there when I am ready to go.

This is exactly what is wrong with you boomers. "that you have no stable home on which you're at least building equity". Everyone reading this thread should bear witness to that sentence because attitudes like that are exactly what crashed our economy back in 2007-2008. Truly, everything about you people screams "buy it now, find a way to pay for it later!"

Me living a responsible life as a renter is NOT a bad decision. I have net positive value. Something that most people with a mortgage do not. Note, equity is NOT value. Equity is perceived value. It isn't real. And the irresponsible people of this country who thought like you are the ones who got smacked up with that fact when the housing market crashed.

I will own a house when I can pay cash for it. The responsible way!

Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Good luck to you... I'm afraid that some day life is gonna smack you off that perfection perch and your going to be in for a rude awakening...
I doubt it. I don't take risks. To get a rude awakening like you speak of you need to take risks.

My awakening came early in my adulthood when the economy tanked. It gave me a very clear mind set of what to do right and what to do wrong in our new post recession world.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
We had a friend who all through his 20-40's he paid cash for everything, didn't believe in credit. Went to purchase a truck with a little down payment, his credit was trash. He didn't have record of ever having a loan before this and couldn't qualify for the loan.

It's not baby boomers that have overloaded the system it's people who purchased homes they didn't intend to pay for and the massive credit debt most people including young are running up. We're as bad as the government America has a spending problem young, old and in between.
Where did I say the boomers "overloaded the system"?

I doubt people bought homes with the intent of not paying them off. The qualifications to obtain a mortgage were lowered because "someone" thought it was unfair to deny people with low incomes the opportunity to purchase a home. That "someone" set them up for a fall. Once getting possession they found themselves in over their head because as an owner there are ongoing expenses to maintain a home as well as higher utility bills as well as property taxes. The thousands of homes that fell into foreclosure were not due to people deliberately not paying their mortgage - most were due to people losing their jobs.

Its unfortunate but using cash works against people. Corporations thrive on the interest accrued through the use of credit cards.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm glad you made it home safely...

Let's see.. without an Iphone...I'd have walked to the airline counter and they would have booked me a new flight. I would have walked to the rental car counter and extended my rental car. I'd have bought a map at the local convenience store for a dollar or two, and I'd have listened to free AM/FM radio reports to see where the storms were at. Total cost.... $5.00 max.

It's all in your perception. You could function without that Iphone. Yes.. there may be no reason for you to do so... but... by no means is it a necessity. And we've all been in situations like this at one time or another... it's an inconvenience.. but nothing that couldn't be solved without an electronic device. I think this is what folks here are trying to tell you... That your perception of how the world should and does work isn't exactly the way it actually is. Believe me when I tell you, that when you reach our age... your going to look back and think... wow... I can't believe those 20 year olds can't live without *insert item here*. I can't believe that there are things that even my son has never seen. A rotary dial phone. He's seen a record album but never heard one played. He's never seen a Beta tape, or gasp.. an 8-track. He's never lived in a world without microwaves and indoor plumbing. So believe us when we tell you that while nice, and we're glad you've got your conveniences... life itself will go on without those things. It went on before I-phones.. it'll go on long after the fad is gone....
Its amazing. How did society function before all those electronic devices came into play? To think we actually had to think to come up with solutions to problems that are solved today with the push of a button. All you have to do is think which button to push.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but you know that wouldn't have happened. You would have been stuck in ENDLESS lines waiting to be helped. I'm willing to bet that by the time you managed to speak to your first rep I would have driving off from Philly, made it to Charlotte and boarded my plane by the time you finally were able to speak to someone. And that would be 12 hours!

My point was to prove to you that I have never made any bad choices in my life. Not debate what conveniences my generation has that others did not.

Never?? Never ever?? Do you think that will be the case for the next 50 years??

Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
I'm hoping by my 40s. If it doesn't happen then it isn't meant to happen. I WILL NOT put a house on credit. Anyone who does isn't a home owner. They own a loan and that is it.
We actually NEVER own the home if one can't pay the taxes, there's that thing called property tax. Many people lose everything they put equity into, because of unpaid taxes.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what is wrong with you boomers. "that you have no stable home on which you're at least building equity". Everyone reading this thread should bear witness to that sentence because attitudes like that are exactly what crashed our economy back in 2007-2008. Truly, everything about you people screams "buy it now, find a way to pay for it later!"

Me living a responsible life as a renter is NOT a bad decision. I have net positive value. Something that most people with a mortgage do not. Note, equity is NOT value. Equity is perceived value. It isn't real. And the irresponsible people of this country who thought like you are the ones who got smacked up with that fact when the housing market crashed.

Funny! I think like me yet we own a home with a "gentle," easily sustainable VA mortgage and our payments, including taxes and insurance, are less than the rent we were paying five years ago for a third of the square footage and no property. With two guaranteed government pensions and two Social Security incomes I certainly don't see us as being at risk.

By the way, what crashed the economy was not boomers, despite your generation's tendency to blame all your short-comings on them. It was unscrupulous lenders giving unsupportable loans to irresponsible, financially ignorant people, most of whom weren't boomers, nor were most of the lenders' representatives.

Try again! Oops! Guessing that you're in your 30s you clearly know it all, as most your age believe they do. I find you all funny.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
The city that I live in was not a bad decision. I moved here for college and of Florida's cities it is probably my favorite one (though I don't like any of them). I tried to move away after graduating but the lovely economy that boomers have left our generation made job hunting elsewhere kind of impossible. I finally found work here and haven't gotten out yet. Never the less, I am finally moving in December. A new position with my company will be opening up where I want to go and as long as our profits don't tank or anything the job should still be there when I am ready to go.

Uh; you're going too far with your insults against Baby Boomers. Please stop it. I'm a Gen X but many of my friends ARE Boomers and they ain't doing real well.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; you're going too far with your insults against Baby Boomers. Please stop it. I'm a Gen X but many of my friends ARE Boomers and they ain't doing real well.
Good for you. But clearly Craving knows it all.

It's really unfortunate when people from older generations fall on hard times because they don't have the same recovery time younger people do. What I can only think of as corporate greed and malfeasance has harmed far too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies