Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
Hm...you must be having some difficulty navigating C-D.

This is the Politics and Other Controversies section.

If you would like to be in a section where things aren't politicized....I suggest you find the door.
1957 - The internet didn't exist.

2013 - People hide behind anonymous nicknames on message boards and are as rude and obnoxious as they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
This and race has nothing to do with how I see Obama as I am married to a black woman.

I hate when people pull the race card... makes me sick.

I would be very proud to have this man as my president.

Colonel Allen West

West's awards and decorations include the Bronze Star; Meritorious Service Medal (two Oak Leaf Clusters); Army Commendation Medal (three Oak Leaf Clusters, one Valor Device); Army Achievement Medal (one Oak Leaf Cluster); Valorous Unit Award; Air Assault Badge; and the Master Parachutist Badge.
I do not care who you are married to. As usual, race HAD NOTHING to do with it.The Left is always the one pointing out race.

It had to do with each one's ACCOMPLISHMENTS and the QUALITY of their CHARACTER.

Get a clue

You,sir, are the one who pulled out race.Good day sir.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:20 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
I do not care who you are married to. As usual, race HAD NOTHING to do with it.The Left is always the one pointing out race.

It had to do with each one's ACCOMPLISHMENTS and the QUALITY of their CHARACTER.

Get a clue

You,sir, are the one who pulled out race.Good day sir.
You have COMPLETELY misunderstood me... Lol

I agree with you

I was saying that what you said was a very good point and that liberals who pull the race card make sick. It's not Obama's race that makes him unqualified... but his actual lack of qualifications. I mentioned the race of my wife because liberals are very quick to call someone a racist before even knowing their background.

Whew...

Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,395 times
Quote:
You have COMPLETELY misunderstood me... Lol

I agree with you

I was saying that what you said was a very good point and that liberals who pull the race card make sick. It's not Obama's race that makes him unqualified... but his actual lack of qualifications. I mentioned the race of my wife because liberals are very quick to call someone a racist before even knowing their background.

Whew...
Apologies! Egg on my face.

Wow,I have a hair trigger tonight.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
1957: ring...ring..."Hi, Wells Fargo customer service, how may I help you?"

2013: ring...ring..."Thank you for calling Wells Fargo, please press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish..beep..Please enter your account number...beep..beep..beep...beep..I didn't get that, please try again...beep..beep..beep...beep..Thank you. Now please press 1 for account info, 2 for mortgages, 3 for loans, 4 for mailing address or 0 to speak to a customer service rep...beep...You selected 0 for a customer service rep, is this correct? Press 1 for yes, 2 for no or * to go back the main menu...beep...Hi, this is Cathy with Wells Fargo, can I have your account number please? AAUGH!!!!!!
Best post.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM

596 posts, read 730,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
How unfortunately predictable. In short order this thread became partisan, racist, Gay vs. Straight, etc.

In other words, the true and really unfortunate differences between 1957 and 2013.

1957 - People knew what a subject was and how to stick with it.

2013 - People want to politicize and socialize everything and can't stick to the original subject. Political correctness rules.

I think I preferred 1957. Of course, unlike many here, I was both alive and aware then.
The point some people are trying to make is 1957 was not all that great for certain people. I'm so sick of people screaming "political correctness" any time someone disagrees with them or presents a different point of view. You guys can act like it was all sunshine and rainbows back then if you want, but that simply was not the case for certain segments of the population. Depending on who you were, you may remember the 50s fondly or you may thank your lucky stars that you don't have to live during an era that was oppressive to many people. This is a public forum, and everyone has the right to express their personal views, even if they don't agree that 1957 was some kind of utopia like some people are pretending.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Alan West......lol

Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
West's awards and decorations include the Bronze Star; Meritorious Service Medal (two Oak Leaf Clusters); Army Commendation Medal (three Oak Leaf Clusters, one Valor Device); Army Achievement Medal (one Oak Leaf Cluster); Valorous Unit Award; Air Assault Badge; and the Master Parachutist Badge.
And an Article 15 for p.ssing on the Laws of War, but hey...

Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
How unfortunately predictable. In short order this thread became partisan, racist, Gay vs. Straight, etc.

In other words, the true and really unfortunate differences between 1957 and 2013.

1957 - People knew what a subject was and how to stick with it.

2013 - People want to politicize and socialize everything and can't stick to the original subject. Political correctness rules.

I think I preferred 1957. Of course, unlike many here, I was both alive and aware then.
It's relevant. Black Americans, Gay Americans - they effin' suffered in 1957.

This is 1957. Defend it. Or shut up.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
The point some people are trying to make is 1957 was not all that great for certain people. I'm so sick of people screaming "political correctness" any time someone disagrees with them or presents a different point of view. You guys can act like it was all sunshine and rainbows back then if you want, but that simply was not the case for certain segments of the population. Depending on who you were, you may remember the 50s fondly or you may thank your lucky stars that you don't have to live during an era that was oppressive to many people. This is a public forum, and everyone has the right to express their personal views, even if they don't agree that 1957 was some kind of utopia like some people are pretending.
Never said it was all sunshine and rainbows. For many of those of us old enough to remember living through the 50s then they seemed that way at the time. Looking back, not quite so much and especially not for minorities. But there are still reasons they've been romanticized on television and in movies. Was it a utopia? Certainly not for all but neither was it the hell the politically correct - yeah, I said it again - of today would like would like us to believe it was and if you can't see the differences between then and today, especially for children, the original subject, then you're blinded by you biases.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 10-24-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies