Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,314,554 times

Advertisements

Several reasons there needs to be good car control enacted now:

1) You are fomenting class warfare by showing off your ride in an economically depressed area
2) You are promoting a reason for increased criminal activity (carjacking) by disadvantaged city folks
3) Too dangerous, too tempting to "feel the need for speed" in a low speed limit area and consequently run people over accidentally or on purpose
4) It's for the children (school zones and speed limits)

Discuss...

Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,088,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

1) You are fomenting class warfare by showing off your ride in an economically depressed area
2) You are promoting a reason for increased criminal activity (carjacking) by disadvantaged city folks
3) Too dangerous, too tempting to "feel the need for speed" in a low speed limit area and consequently run people over accidentally or on purpose

Discuss...
To quote the movie Billy Madison, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
To quote the movie Billy Madison, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
^ Right wing car nut.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
Quote:

Discuss...
then lets go further than that was well, no more custom cars in depressed areas, even if the owner did the work themselves, in fact no more new cars period in those areas that sticker for more than say $15,995. we can go further still, no cars past the year 2010 are allowed into the area until the economy improves.

this is just as stupid as the original suggestion.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then lets go further than that was well, no more custom cars in depressed areas, even if the owner did the work themselves, in fact no more new cars period in those areas that sticker for more than say $15,995. we can go further still, no cars past the year 2010 are allowed into the area until the economy improves.

this is just as stupid as the original suggestion.
I just think sensible car control is warranted. Too many dangerous people out there. Maybe if there was a permit system...all felons automatically lose privileges to drive expensive cars period.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,088,290 times
Quote:
I just think sensible car control is warranted. Too many dangerous people out there. Maybe if there was a permit system...all felons automatically lose privileges to drive expensive cars period.
I can't really tell if you're joking or actually believe this drivel? More care control? Yeah, that's what the government needs to get involved in. It's bad enough there are red light camera and speed cameras, now lets govern what type of car people can drive because it'll make poor people sad!!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
I can't really tell if you're joking or actually believe this drivel? More care control? Yeah, that's what the government needs to get involved in. It's bad enough there are red light camera and speed cameras, now lets govern what type of car people can drive because it'll make poor people sad!!
I don't see why you're against this. It's a novel idea. Porsches in urban areas expend more police forces to protect them from being stolen and possibly joyridden (a very hazardous situation btw).

I mean, we have sensible gun control in this country. Why not sensible policies for something even more dangerous than guns?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
Quote:
Quote:
well said skeeter, the OP is rubbish. what right does the government have to tell us what kind of car we can drive? wait i am sorry you cant buy that nice $35,000 mercedes, you live in an economically depressed area, as such you cant buy anything other than this chevy cruze, enjoy! or, yes we know you would like to buy this $55,000 BMW, but you must purchase this $17,000 fiat 500 instead because you live in an economically depressed area. do you see how stupid this is? if someone has the money, why should they be limited in what kind of car they can own or drive? dont we have enough government in our lives? we have people complaining because some in congress want to restrict abortions, and now some outside congress want to restrict the cars we drive. where does it end? when do the people say enough is enough?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,442,249 times
Quote:
^^^^
agreed

I'm sure the guys ranting is some cleaver metaphor for something he believes in, and it is linked in only his/her mind.

regardless - OP. even if he was serious

way to solve a non-existent problem. Kind of like voter fraud.

- no evidence that this is true, and that a ride causes a emotional reaction in people in any area
- no evidence that people with nice cars go through depressed area (very unlikely)

- no evidence that expensive cars are carjacked more often than, I don't know, a freaking Honda civic
- fast/expensive cars aren't that likely to be stolen because they are only good for joyriding. what are you going to do with it? you can't scrap it like a civic

- no evidence that these cars are associated with any risk/danger of accidents and involving pedistrians (versus normal cars)

-all cars slow down for zones, speed limits
-no evidence that "fast" cars violate zones any more frequently (per 1,000 cars) than a civic, miata, or camry.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
^^^^
agreed

I'm sure the guys ranting is some cleaver metaphor for something he believes in, and it is linked in only his/her mind.
Not sure what kitchen cutlery has to do with the prudent and necessary move towards car control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies