Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I keep reading these threads about lazy folks who never acquired skills to deserve high paying jobs, so I ask, apparently I'm the only person (or one of the few) who knows quite a few individuals with not only college degrees but advanced degrees as well who are either out of work or working in low paying jobs that they would have never dreamed of taking in their extensive working careers.

Now that was anecdotal but the fact remains that:

53% of recent college grads are unemployed and of those employed 44% are underemployed.

Older and thus experienced workers represent 50% of the long term unemployed.

The median income of households with college degrees or higher have declined by 6.5%.

So why on earth are we heaping all of this scorn on the lowest paid when even those who have done everything that conservatives claim on should do are in the same relatively dire straights?
conservatives have a very simple mentality.
They believe in karma, basically the people who are doing well in life made the right decisions and so they are deserving, and the people who aren't doing well didn't make the right decisions and thus they deserve to suffer.

And any interference with this make believe cosmic balance is morally wrong and bound to lead to misery for everyone.

Now to sane people this kind of thinking makes no sense, and has no real relation to how the real world works, but for conservatives, the poor are poor because they are immoral, or stupid or lazy, or etc, and the well to do are well to do because they are industrious, hard working, smart, etc.

So in order for their simple minded world view to make sense, they have to trash poor people. They have to view poor people as lesser people who don't deserve the government or society addressing their issues.

And so when people stand up for poor people or workers rights, or really any underdog groups rights, the instinctive conservative response is well those people deserve what they get because they are failing in some manner, and how do conservatives know they are failing well because they are poor, in a low wage career, etc.

The specifics don't matter to conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Where on earth did you get those numbers? The unemployment rate for people with Bachelor's degrees is extremely low.

This is according to the BLS. I would love to see the source behind your 53% number.

I know. The OP is fudging a lot of numbers. The unemployment rate for recent college grads is around 8%.

"The overall unemployment rate for recent graduates, according to the study, is 7.9 percent"

Unemployment For Recent College Graduates By Major

But stats can be manipulated anyway you want to.

I do agree many college grads are doing things that aren't considered in their field of major. But frankly most English lit grads and psych grads I know ended up in law and medical school. Again, like I said you can scew data anyway you want to make it look. So a guy who majors in English and goes to Law school technically doesn't go into the field of his major.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
This is in an Arizona charter school. And he's not gonna leave to work elsewhere.

Full time BTW. Teachers don't make much money out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That certainly explains a lot.
What does it explain?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yep. Like someone else said, those foo foo liberal arts degrees aren't gonna get you off the pot and into a real job. .
There was study I read that concluded people with liberal arts degrees had something like 2X the unemployment. That's part of the problem.

I also have to wonder how many of these people get their degrees and simply float along for 20 years, then junior comes along and takes their job becsue they can do it just as well or even better.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with $30,000. If you can't live decently on $30,000, it's nobody's fault but your own. I'll bet that $30,000 son has every little device known to mankind along with the associated fees required to 'connect'. Money down the drain
That's another issue, they have school loans to pay, credit cards maxed out, fancy car, etc. Some of the wealthiest people I know don;t spend money like that. I have an Uncle that retired a millionaire, first new vehicle he bought was just a few years before he retired and even then it wasn't extravagant. He's moved onto to top of the line pickup trucks, think he finally realized he can't take it with him. LOL

Old 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Hmmmm. Looks like 2013 wasn't exactly "Recovery Summer" either, I guess.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:

So why on earth are we heaping all of this scorn on the lowest paid when even those who have done everything that conservatives claim on should do are in the same relatively dire straights?
Because those people are the kind that fell for Obamas rhetoric and voted for him. You see business people view taxes as an expense, raise taxes, means an increased expensed and they have to cut cost in other places. If the economy does not support keeping employees then that is typically the first place employees cut. They also cut vendors who also employ people, those people lose their jobs and the downward spiral is in motion.

These people didn't think of the fallout of Obamas policies and most still don't to this day. Those coming down on them understand the consequences of Obamas policies and are doing this as a "you deserve what you voted for".

Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,667 times
"Highly educated" doesnt just mean getting a piece of paper and expecting to make a six figure salary. My cousin is "highly educated" per the liberal definition. Has a Masters Degree , had a 3.9 GPA, all at good universities, and he is unemployed. He voted for Obama..and of course it's Bushs fault. My childhood friend, went to college for a year and dropped out. He is a multi-millionaire now, and is one of the hardest working, no excuse making people I know. Being educated strictly on books is nice, but doest assure success. That's why Asians account for 22% of all college enrollees across this nation, yet only hold 2% of CEO positions nationwide. Education includes all experiences in your life attained through work, and socializing with others which you can then apply to other areas of your life...not just what you learn in a classroom. Diligence is the greatest determinant of success, you are more apt to learn that from areas where you struggle, not sitting in a posh classroom!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
The problem is that these "highly educated" people aren't that bright. They continued in a career path that was ending and they didn't see it coming. Then on the other hand, you have college kids majoring in useless studies and for careers that no longer exist, again, not so bright. There is plenty of work in the trades, but today's youth are too lazy for manual work and want to have a corner office in a high rise making 6 figures the day they graduate, do I have to say not too bright again?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:11 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
I keep reading these threads about lazy folks who never acquired skills to deserve high paying jobs, so I ask, apparently I'm the only person (or one of the few) who knows quite a few individuals with not only college degrees but advanced degrees as well who are either out of work or working in low paying jobs that they would have never dreamed of taking in their extensive working careers.

Now that was anecdotal but the fact remains that:

53% of recent college grads are unemployed and of those employed 44% are underemployed.

Older and thus experienced workers represent 50% of the long term unemployed.

The median income of households with college degrees or higher have declined by 6.5%.

The few times I have been unemployed, I noticed that if I left my Master's degree out of my resume, I would get calls for interviews. I think, depending on your career path (I'm in I.T. now) having a Masters or above is seen as potentially wanting too much $. In IT, you simply don't need a Masters unless you want to do upper level Program Management. Kids with a 2 year degree and all the right certifications is all that is needed in IT nowadays.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, for Cryin' Out Loud. Degrees, Schmegrees! Paper, just worthless paper. It's about the person, not the silly cap and gown. And newsflash: If they aren't working, they aren't productive. Gawd!
Sweet, I don't have a medical degree or anyting but if you ever need a heart bypass I'm willing to give it a shot.

P.S. College for a job like mine is like OTJ training for say....an electrician. You cannot hire someone out of highschool to do this work anymore than you can just grab some crackhead off the corner and send them to wire a houses electrical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies