Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know that they are.
then you haven't been reading the thread or any of the associated articles.

Quote:
They might be discriminating against Asians in favor of bringing in more whites.
or they might be space aliens with rainbows that shoot out of their *******s

i guess if you don't read the arguments presented to you in the associated literature, you will never know

Quote:
Now I know you wanna get mad at blacks and Hispanics (typical) but we didn't make this decision...nor did we lobby for less Asians at these schools.
no, it's the leftist whites who run these places that choose to discriminate against asians in favor of non-asian-minorities, so they can pat themselves on the back about "diversity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Just because a student has a 4.0 or a 4.2 does not mean that they are automatically an asset to a school. A school filled with the socially awkward is not beneficial to the school's overall reputation.

A big part of college life is the social atmosphere. Bonds formed in college (fraternities/sororities/etc.) are a large part of the lifelong network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Many of the strongest bonds in college are made by pledging a fraternity or sorority, playing on sports teams, joining on-campus organizations, being on the staff of the college newspaper, study abroad semesters, taking trips on spring break and winter break, parties in the dorms, etc.

Seriously, no one really cares if someone plays the violin or speaks Mandarin. And no one from college can remember the name of the bookish Chinese student who was in the freshman dorm room down the hall. College is also about networking and forming relationships that will be beneficial as an alumni. These do not tend to be strong skills for certain students and colleges recognize that as a potential issue in the future among certain student groups.
Uh...have you looked at the way the world works these days? Technology and Engineering is winning, and will continue to only make inroads. These people tend to be "socially awkward," but yet are rewriting the economic and labor environment. Sorry, the jocks and the frat boys are pretty much going to be working for these people. Speaking Mandarin is a BIG plus these days.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:01 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If the Asians are scoring the highest, they should be the ones in the top schools and getting the scholarship money period.
Private institutions no. They should be allowed to pick whom they want.

It also depends on the type of major. Charisma, personality, creativity can carry you much much further in certain fields than test scores. That's why the guy with the 1400 score that excelled at sports and a number of other things gets chosen over some guy with a 1500 that has a blander resume outside of the scores.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,301 times
I am no genius, but it takes all types to make the world work, smart, not so smart, those who need a leg up in social net working , social introverted as much a extroverts. I feel the Ivy league, need to consider all types based on merit period, not the color of skin or ethnicity.Finally can we look at some ones potential to contribute to the well being of society, rather that just grade point average or just their social and activity calendar a person has maintained.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Ah, Asians. Harvard's new Jews:

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...m/harvard.html

Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If the Asians are scoring the highest, they should be the ones in the top schools and getting the scholarship money period.
Lol..doesn't work that way, never has worked that way, and never will work that way.

That's not real life..that's utopian. Simplistic even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

i guess if you don't read the arguments presented to you in the associated literature, you will never know

no, it's the leftist whites who run these places that choose to discriminate against asians in favor of non-asian-minorities, so they can pat themselves on the back about "diversity"
I'm not a leftist white. Take your complaints to them.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not even close to being the same situation.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nomenclature.

Look, my son got accepted into Cornell's School of Hotel and Restaurant Management...a lifelong dream of his.

Too expensive. They offered a means tested financial aid package, but the combination of him being an only child and our household income was still more than I could reasonably afford.

However, I still offered to pay, albeit with the stipulation.that I could not get him a new car (that I'd promised) and.that I couldn't give him any financial help whatsoever beyond his student expenses.

He decided against it...painfully.

But the main thing is that by him staying in state, he got a new car, 4 years of undergrad, and a year of grad school (he finished in 3 semesters) all paid for by yours truly with no debt incurred by him.

When you're considering an Ivy, a lot goes into it. I wish like hell that I could've sent my son to Cornell...but hey..the sky won't fall if you can't get in.

I understand. This issue is very complicated. Seems to me that there are no clear cut answers.
Cornell's School of Mgmt is considered the best in the country though. I'm sure his decision is working out for him but sometimes it does pay to get into these elite schools even if it sets you back some.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

You said you read the articles, where did it say these proposals were in effect and being practiced?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/op...good.html?_r=0

Meritocracy is always a threat to the privileged. From a branding and marketing standpoint, you do want a fair amount of "privileged" students getting in through legacy preference as part of the appeal of going to these schools is forming relationships/making connections with well connected people. Harvard wouldn't be Harvard if it was filled with a bunch of poor schmoes from places like Stuyvesant High School.

The question is how long the upstarts are going to continue to be held down due to arbitrary quotas. The numbers of Asians has almost tripled in this country since the early 90s( when their proportional representation at some top schools peaked) and they've maintained the same level of academic achievement as a demographic group, and the proportion of Asians at top schools should be rising as more and more students of Asian background should be benefiting from legacy preference and not just merit alone. However, the data isn't exactly reflecting this at Ivy League schools.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-17-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies