Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What about the fraud.. they are selling their food stamps on Craigslist for cash.

Craigslist makes turning food stamps into cash a SNAP | Fox News
So the solution to address fraud is across the board cuts to punish innocent people, what percentage does fraud constitute, $1B, $3B? Maybe they should go after people abusing the program?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So the solution to address fraud is across the board cuts to punish innocent people, what percentage does fraud constitute, $1B, $3B? Maybe they should go after people abusing the program?
The solution is to end such programs since the government has no incentive to police them effectively, not to mention the immoral way such programs are funded in the first place ( theft).

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM

275 posts, read 178,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I honestly don't see this as an issue. The increase was suppose to be temporary.

I agree with Ponderosa (loved their sundae's when I was a kid BTW) that they should also end the Bush era tax cuts. We need to get back to normal. The economy is recovering and $36 isn't going to make or break family meal planning. People will adjust.

And FWIW, a few people in my family are on foodstamps (my brother and his wife and their 2 kids, my aunt, and a cousin or two). And I still don't have an issue with them scaling it back to previous levels. The only issue I had was this:

I don't think that people who don't have dependents but who make a VERY small income should be denied access to the SNAP program because they need to eat too. My aunt is in her 50s and gets about $130 a month in food stamps. She makes less than $1000 a month and SNAP is a big assistance to her so I would not like to see her punished just because she is a single person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Cutting food stamps back to pre recession levels isn't really that unreasonable. The program was expanded 3 times since 2002, so a small cut (5%) is probably something most of us can live with. The family of 4 can still get up to $632 each month and they can still buy pizza. Besides, this is primarily going to effect the southern states and those people can stand to lose a lot of weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The amount was increased under Obama's stimulus plan. They are just reverting back to what it was before.

This was a temporary increase that is now going away.

$36 a month is hardly a "deep cut" and SNAP is supplemental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
$9 a week is the end of the world ?

Sounds like when that temporary FICA tax kicked back in and $12 a week was the end of the world.
Its a 13.6% cut not just 36$. Lot of people have failed math class obviously.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What about the fraud.. they are selling their food stamps on Craigslist for cash.

Craigslist makes turning food stamps into cash a SNAP | Fox News
and this is ubiquitous??? I am so distrusting of the Ayn Rand worshipping representatives and media, that I would not put it past these jerks to place the ads themselves...ANYONE can anonymously place ads on Craigslist.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The solution is to end such programs since the government has no incentive to police them effectively, not to mention the immoral way such programs are funded in the first place ( theft).
I know it's tempting but you can't end them because many of the working poor need this. But government has to police this because many abuse it. I just don't understand why they don't. So many of these programs are abused and we all can see this. And I think some of us even know a few that do.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I know it's tempting but you can't end them because many of the working poor need this. But government has to police this because many abuse it. I just don't understand why they don't. So many of these programs are abused and we all can see this. And I think some of us even know a few that do.
Yes you can end them. Working poor? People have cars, a/c, cable tv,cell phones, internet access, and enough left over for booze, smokes whatever.Time to give up some luxuries and prioritize if you need to eat and if you still cant manage there are charitable services for those really in need. I know because I happen to volunteer for one.
The role of the fed guv is not to define who the haves and the have nots are, nor is it its job to steal from the haves and hand out to those it thinks are deserving ( vote purchasing).

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes you can end them. Working poor? People have cars, a/c, cable tv,cell phones, internet access, and enough left over for booze, smokes whatever. Time to give up some luxuries and prioritize if you need to eat and if you still cant manage there are charitable services for those really in need. I know because I happen to volunteer for one.
The role of the fed guv is not to define who the haves and the have nots are, nor is it its job to steal from the haves and hand out to those it thinks are deserving ( vote purchasing).
But not all of them have those luxuries. And yes it is the governments responsibility since they send the checks.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
But not all of them have those luxuries. And yes it is the governments responsibility since they send the checks.
That's like saying the post office is responsible for deciding who gets a paycheck and who doesn't, simply because they deliver paychecks.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM

Default As the point sails over your head

Quote:
It is not its responsibility to run such a program in the first place and it is immoral to do so.
Most do have those luxuries, you cannot prove otherwise.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
Its a 13.6% cut not just 36$. Lot of people have failed math class obviously.
According to the SNAP benefit chart it is 5.4%, or $36 for a family of 4.

Eligibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies