Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have always thought you were in the Army..lol

Good for you by the way!
Ex-military, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I have to agree. Just look at all that makeup she's got on! I don't use makeup, but I do know it can be very expensive. What does she need it for, anyway? She doesn't work.

This case is definitely an abuse of the food stamp program.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So much for the ideology that believes in individual free choice and liberty. I guess poor people don't qualify.
Choice to take from others lol, thats your argument? You have a choice. work and pay your own way.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, nobody said mandatory tubal ligations.
(It's a whole lot healthier for the mother than the abortion route.)

I don't think embedding families in generation after generation of benefit check slavery is a nice thing to do but that is what we have.
The risk of major complications from a tubal ligation is much more than the risk of major complications from an abortion. Abortions are one of the safest procedures a woman can have done.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Another thing that just struck me... She got her sickness from being a bartender right? I'd love to see her tax returns and see how much of her "tip" income she reported all those years......

Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon.

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps - Nov. 1, 2013
And apparently there are no men in this dysfunctional family. Sounds like she is raising the next generation of irresponsible social welfare leeches.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Choice to take from others lol, thats your argument? You have a choice. work and pay your own way.
Why would they do that? It is much easier to live off other people.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
$800 a month? $200 a week for 4 people? They could eat nicely, considering that with 4 adults and a freezer you can benefit from bulk pricing and meal planning.

Please, please, please lets not have the organic snobs who believe grocery budgeting is inhumane not come in here and start screeching that they don't get enough. THEY DO.
No kidding, $200 a week is a lot of food. You can make big pot of chicken and rice soup and it will last a few days. How large are the portions, and what do they eat that costs them $30 a day?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I shop at Whole Foods (most of my things at least) for two adults and do not spend close to $800 a month for food; I do not see how three adults and a kid are spending $800 a month (remember, they are suppsoe to be shopping cheaply and budgeting), yet still running out of food before the end of the month.

Wait, when I had my in-laws (two adults) visiting for an extended stay (several months), I was most likely spending over $800, but heck, I eat nicely and expensive; I am finding it real hard to believe these people were budget shopping.

Yes, my wife and I were in college and on a strict budget for two adults, so I do have the concept of budgeting for groceries. It does not cost $800 for food for three adults and a kid.

As others have stated; this is the kind of stuff that irritates me. I do not get irritated by the injured, disabled (real disabled, as how it once was), etc; it is the perfectly fine adults who seem to come up with any reason not to wrk that irritate me.

Food stamps create a moral hazard that needs to be addressed, this is a prime example of it.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
When I read the headline I felt bad for the family until I actually read the story:

"Occasionally, when her grocery store is running a deal, Lewis indulges the family with spare ribs or chicken.
The benefit -- totaling $800 for four adults -- never lasts Lewis and her family a full month.
"When I get to the end, we always run out. I try to go to all the food pantries," Lewis said.

"Lewis attributes the emphysema to a lifetime of bartending in smoke-filled nonprofit social clubs, such as Elks and Moose lodges.

Her adult daughters who live with her aren't in a position to work -- one is a new mom, and another is due to give birth soon."

Our family will lose $44 in food stamps - Nov. 1, 2013

FOUR people in the household. None of them work. One pregnant woman. One who just had a kid.

As a single mother who worked until the week before my daughter was born and went back to work 2 weeks after a c-section I have no sympathy for these leeches. NONE. I had a very high risk pregnancy and was in and out of the hospital but I took my happy behind to work.

Two years later and I am still working AND going to school to give myself and my daughter a better life. Her father has refused to pay court ordered child support.

$800 for a family of 4?!! I spend about $150 a month for myself and my daughter... And I pay for it with my own money. I don't rely on governments assistance.

Millions of people in this country have no shame sitting back and expecting a handout. It has become a way of life.
Know what OP? You and I finally agree on something. I've reached the tipping point.

This woman should be ashamed. I can and have fed five people good, nutritious meals for a lot less than $800.00 per month.
Honestly, I could buy enough staples, hit enough buy 1 get 2 sales, etc., to make that $800.00 last three months minimum.
If one shops smartly, there is no reason to think of chicken (of all things) as an indulgence.

Even after the reduction, they are still going to have $756.00 per month to spend on food.

SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies