Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 09:38 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times

Advertisements

To be more accurate, I think the question is if Mandarin is the new Spanish, i.e. the second language of choice to be studied in our schools. I don't think Mandarin (or Cantonese for that matter) will ever replace English, which is truly a worldwide language. Just think: In order to be an international airline pilot a person has to understand English because all flight control instructions at airports are in English!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Mandarin, a tone-based language, is TOUGH to learn. If we ARE going to teach it to our kids, it may as well start early.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I remember when the coming thing was learning Japanese, because that was the wave of the future. I also remember when folks were weeping and gnashing their teeth over our mounting balance-of-trade deficit with Japan, and how Japanese companies were buying up America, and how the yen was going to replace the dollar, and so on.

Someone once said that "news is the history we haven't read yet..."

Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I remember when the coming thing was learning Japanese, because that was the wave of the future. I also remember when folks were weeping and gnashing their teeth over our mounting balance-of-trade deficit with Japan, and how Japanese companies were buying up America, and how the yen was going to replace the dollar, and so on.

Someone once said that "news is the history we haven't read yet..."
Yep I remember that too. Having to learn Japanese was briefly supersceded by having to learn German around 1989 or so and then moved on to Spanish and now is focusing on Mandarin. And while we continue to whip ourselves up in a frenzy- while never actually learning any of these languages I might note- English has solidified itself as the global tongue, if such a thing even exists.

This thinking just makes me laugh. As if a population who cannot even find China on the map is all of a sudden going to learn Mandarin of all languages. Learning any langauge, and I mean learning to speak it with at least high proficiency, is a major committment that will inevitably require living there. Learning Mandarin is something that even Chinese in non-Mandarin speaking areas of China find very difficult, if not impossible.

So fine. Sign your kids up for Mandarin. After 5 years, when all they have to show for it is 'please', 'thanks' and 'Mao was flake', we can move on to the next point of linguistic panic, which by then ought to be Tagalog.

<shakes head>

Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yep I remember that too. Having to learn Japanese was briefly supersceded by having to learn German around 1989 or so and then moved on to Spanish and now is focusing on Mandarin. And while we continue to whip ourselves up in a frenzy- while never actually learning any of these languages I might note- English has solidified itself as the global tongue, if such a thing even exists.

This thinking just makes me laugh. As if a population who cannot even find China on the map is all of a sudden going to learn Mandarin of all languages. Learning any langauge, and I mean learning to speak it with at least high proficiency, is a major committment that will inevitably require living there. Learning Mandarin is something that even Chinese in non-Mandarin speaking areas of China find very difficult, if not impossible.

So fine. Sign your kids up for Mandarin. After 5 years, when all they have to show for it is 'please', 'thanks' and 'Mao was flake', we can move on to the next point of linguistic panic, which by then ought to be Tagalog.

<shakes head>
I admire Chinese and Japanese speakers, though. The graphic visual nature of their languages permit a level of subtlety that is largely absent in English. It also makes them more receptive and skilled in the visual arts. Have you ever met a Japanese kid who can't draw, for example? I haven't.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I admire Chinese and Japanese speakers, though. The graphic visual nature of their languages permit a level of subtlety that is largely absent in English. It also makes them more receptive and skilled in the visual arts. Have you ever met a Japanese kid who can't draw, for example? I haven't.
Hey, I am not saying language ability is not something admirable. I busted my tail to learn German. It took years and actually going there to do so.

I am simply saying a lot of people are a bit cavalier about learning languages. But if they are committed, I applaud them.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I agree, and have much admiration for people who have mastered those languages. The "drawing" of their letters is another thing altogether. My Mandarin teacher used phonics, as she stated it takes years and years to learn to write all those characters. My understanding is that a character can mean a cluster of words, and has a completely different meaning with a small brush stroke. Don't know about arabic, I imagine it is also very difficult. I attempted Hebrew language many years ago. I can still read it, but writing is infinitely more difficult.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hey, I am not saying language ability is not something admirable. I busted my tail to learn German. It took years and actually going there to do so.

I am simply saying a lot of people are a bit cavalier about learning languages. But if they are committed, I applaud them.
I agree. I can count on one hand the number of native-English-speaking people I know who have truly mastered spoken Mandarin. I know none who have mastered the written form.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
We have one-its called English! English is the language of international business. All Western Europeans learn English (among other languages) from a young age. So, if you want to run a landscaping or housecleaning crew, learn Spanish. If you want to work for a global financial institution or other multinational corporation, stick with English.
Good point. And that's fine with me! We are very fortunate as Americans to have been raised with English as our first language. It is beautiful, versatile, useful, rich and relevant.

In the modern world, anything important enough to be said, is said in English

Old 11-21-2007, 12:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
From a national standpoint, I can see its relevence. On a global level, not so much.

On the other hand, this is a graph from Goldman Sachs, they estimate by 2050 this is how the world's economic superpowers may look.

Gross Domestic Prouct, Per Capita GDP and Population.

China really doesnt dominate even by this scenario, rather they might be the biggest player in sum. I think English will be more of a unifier not only because of the US, but also because of India, which has a high percentage of english-speakers which dates back to its time as part of the British Empire.
Great point about India. They too had the good fortune of British colonial heritage.

Also, that's an interesting graph (hey, it's always fun to learn from pictures!) Looking at the per capita GDP (vertical bars) though...WOW! That probably tells the "real" story at least as much as anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies