Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Yes, I've heard about this book, and in the words of preeminent Holocaust historian and researcher Raul Hilberg (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler...g_Executioners), this book is "totally wrong about everything" and "worthless".

That said, I do agree with you that many individuals willingly collaborated with the Nazis, including in the Holocaust. This is especially true in Ukraine and in the Baltic states, though there were obviously cases of this in other countries as well. However, I do suspect that some individuals were forced and/or pressured to participate in the Holocaust in some way--for instance, wasn't it punishable by death to shelter Jews in Poland during the Holocaust? If so, then I could see some/many non-Jewish Polish people refusing to hide Jews during the Holocaust due to this.

Yeah, I also agree with you that Horthy would not be considered an example of a "willing executioner" for Hitler, since as you and I (previously) said, Horthy was unwilling and hesitant to cooperate/collaborate with Hitler when it pertained to the Holocaust.
Yes, I have heard the criticism about the book, and I mentioned it onlu for it's name "Hitler's willing executioners" to make the point about Horthy.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:59 AM

15 posts, read 39,666 times
Horthy is not a positive iconic person of the Hungarian history at all but I would not call him collaborator of Nazism. There were more radical Nazi dictators in his age in the area as in Slovakia and Romania.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies