Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Color me old school, but I was watching something on the internet the other day and they had a commercial and the woman speaking said, "Hell." using it as a curse word.

Is it? Is it not? Am I just not hip any more?

CD doesn't block it, so it must be OK.

Unlike Japanese mushrooms. ****ake mushrooms are awesome. Blocked to **** and back, but OK.

Amazing how times have changed. My momma would've beat me black and blue for saying some of the things on TV these days. I think that is how change comes around.

Oh well.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I don't get it. You're upset by somebody using the word "hell" on TV?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Shiitake mushrooms are spelled s-h-i-i-t-a-k-e

Shiitake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Shiitake mushrooms are spelled s-h-i-i-t-a-k-e

Shiitake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ah

****ake - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Depends on the variant of the spelling. I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't get it. You're upset by somebody using the word "hell" on TV?
No. I'd have to share some info. I stopped watching TV around 1990. I'd see various shows, but most just looked like crap. I gave up on TV. I think I've turned a TV on maybe 10 or 15 times in the last 5 years. It's just junk.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
ah

****ake - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Depends on the variant of the spelling. I reckon.
I thought everyone knew that The Oxford English Dictionary is the superior dictionary.

shiitake: definition of shiitake in Oxford dictionary - American English (US)

Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Well, times are changing. Years ago, lots of thing we now consider "normal" were considered outrageous. That includes words, images, dress styles, hair styles, etc.

I don't see "hell" as offensive. It's a meaningless concept to me personally, but it's certainly a concept within Christian belief and thus, within our culture.

What really annoys me is those little "go-arounds" - like "fudge," "shoot," etc. Who are we fooling with this nonsense?

Speaking of nonsense, did you know that CD censors a synonym for "parsimonious?"

Yeah, try using "n.iggardly" on this forum... Boy, are we ever catering to the lowest common denominator - those members of society who can't even understand their own, native language. Gosh, people are stupid.

Simon Winchester:

I was once giving a speech to a group of students in South Carolina, and happened to make reference to the n.iggardly pay raise that was then being offered to a group of local strikers—whereupon three members of the audience, two of them white and one black, walked out in evident protest. Much the same had happened in Washington, DC, a month or so before: a local civil servant was excoriated for having used the same word, one which, to some ill-educated members of his audience, was deemed to be—since it had a similarity of sound—racist and offensive. Of course, most users of this book will, ipso facto, be educated and liberally rounded people, and even if unaware of the precise etymology will know that this synonym for parsimonious has no connection whatsoever with the presently offensive and generally unusable word n igger (my caveat here refers only to the accepted and acceptable use of n igger within some racially and socially circumscribed communities). N.iggardly almost certainly comes from a Scandinavian term for 'a stingy person,' and it is, so far as is known, ethnically and chromatically untainted. So even if only to annoy the ignorant and pedantic watchdogs of correctness, this word should, I think, be used frequently. There is a much nobler reason to do so also, of course: it is a quite splendid-sounding and -looking word, easy on both the eye and the ear.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Color me old school, but I was watching something on the internet the other day and they had a commercial and the woman speaking said, "Hell." using it as a curse word.

Unlike Japanese mushrooms. ****ake mushrooms are awesome. Blocked to **** and back, but OK.

Amazing how times have changed. My momma would've beat me black and blue for saying some of the things on TV these days. I think that is how change comes around.

Oh well.
How is "hell" a curse word?

["heaven" isn't a curse word]

Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
How is "hell" a curse word?

["heaven" isn't a curse word]
I'm puzzled with this as well. Since when was hell a curse word? The restrictions people put on themselves amaze me. Self limiting themselves on freedom.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Oh well.
Hell? A curse word? Since when?

I have heard people saying "H E double hockey sticks", and I always thought it was the stupidest thing, ever.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Hell? A curse word? Since when?

I have heard people saying "H E double hockey sticks", and I always thought it was the stupidest thing, ever.
I laugh at that one, too. After all, we all know what they mean. It is as if not saying the word itself makes a difference when the intent behind it is still there. They are only fooling themselves. Back in the day I had a supervisor who used to say "flip" or "fart" instead of "fxxk".

[iron fist in a velvet glove I guess... ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies