Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

One could say the same about democrats being taken over by special social interest too. But in reality its just part of the combination of interest that FDR first did back I the 30's to get eelcted.One issue parties have never done well in a society if one looks.Its actually good that people have choices; IMO. Anyone social agenda can be called wacho and certainly our ancestors did not see it the way many today
s progressives do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am not a TP person. But the "movement" appears to have its positions grossly twisted by the media and the people opposed to the TP. There is no single website that represents the movement. But Tea Party Patriots |Tea Party Patriots and Tea Party Movement Platform post core beliefs or positions. No hot bed social issues are on the list. Silent on gay marriage. Silent on abortion. Silent on government and religion.

The positions by and large are about the size of the government and the emphasis on the Constitution.
The truth doesn't matter in the slightest to all the "anti-TP" posters.

They make it up as they go along, without the slightest regard for truth or reality.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
naaa,
most people consider democrats ignorant freeloaders.

kinda hard to compete with votes when your platform is based on hard work and personal responsibility instead of "gimme gimme gimme"
You and your whittlin' buddies don't constitute "most people" in this country.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The tea party is simply too far to the right whether it is social or economic positions. Romney's manta, "smaller, simpler, smarter" government resonates with the public in the abstract, at least. But the tea party goes well beyond that to disabling and dismantling government including programs and services that the vast majority support.
"In the abstract" is right. Right up to the point where THEIR favorite goodies get cut.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
naaa,
most people consider democrats ignorant freeloaders.

kinda hard to compete with votes when your platform is based on hard work and personal responsibility instead of "gimme gimme gimme"
Democrats are neither ignorant, nor freeloaders. Just because we are for a live and let live social agenda, and prefer to feed children and protect the elderly, provide the ability to get basic health care and insist on freedom for all citizens makes it appear that by voting democrat that someone would get something for free. Democrats want the scales to be tilted towards the citizens rather than the corporate structure. We also agree that many programs have gotten unwieldy and too expensive, but not even close to what is spent by the war machine and corporate welfare. Each and EVERY program needs to be cut, reformed, eliminated or improved. NO ONE government program, either benefitting the right or left should be untouched.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I had no problem with them until they were hijacked by religious wackos.
Yup!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am not a TP person. But the "movement" appears to have its positions grossly twisted by the media and the people opposed to the TP. There is no single website that represents the movement. But Tea Party Patriots |Tea Party Patriots and Tea Party Movement Platform post core beliefs or positions. No hot bed social issues are on the list. Silent on gay marriage. Silent on abortion. Silent on government and religion.

The positions by and large are about the size of the government and the emphasis on the Constitution.
Ted Cruz, a TP darling, gave his wonderful views at the "values voters" summit.

Ted Cruz Values Voter Summit 2013. FULL SPEECH - YouTube

The TP may say they have no position on social issues, but the TP elected reps say differently.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
So if someone holds a gun to your head and demands you hand over your wallet. You refuse. So, you're to blame for refusing to "compromise"?

Yeah, that's GREAT rationality...
Who had a gun? I must have missed that part. The compromise could have and should have come long before a shutdown happened. As it turns out the ACA was not ready to be rolled out anyway. Both sides elected to shut the Gov down. Both sides had the power to prevent a shut down and neither side opted to do so. Only hard liners are giving anyone a free pass on this.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:14 AM

295 posts, read 358,971 times
There is a divide between what Tea Party websites and literature state they are about and the people who campaign as "Tea Party Favorite". When I think Tea Party candidate, I think Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Christine O'Donnell, Todd Akin, Sarah Palin, etc. None of those people suggest smaller government, more liberty to me. Instead, you get vaginal probes, legitimate rape, dabbling in witchcraft, Christian Dominionism and Muslim McCarthyism.

I'll give the Tea Party kudos for nice sounding rhetoric. But the people they're nominating to implement it are a bunch of unelectable creeps.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,982 times
OP, I agree. I remember first hearing about the Tea Party a few years ago, and the fact its spokespeople emphasized that the Tea Party was just a movement about fiscal issues. "We don't touch the social issues" is what one of them said. Nowadays, the very name Tea Party is associated with all that's wrong with the far right.

The worst part of today's Republican party as a whole is that its members don't seem to realize that the party's obsession with religion/social issues is what's causing the party to become more and more unpopular nationwide. What makes them assume that their far right views would appeal to the entire nation? Don't they realize that society is steadily becoming more tolerant of certain things like homosexuality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies