Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US legalize gay marriage by the end of the year?
I'm a Republican, and NO we should not 15 9.87%
I'm a Republican, and YES we should, even if we don't get anything in exchange 6 3.95%
I'm a Republican, and YES we should, only if we get at least one of our goals passed along with it 4 2.63%
I'm a Democrat, and NO we should not 9 5.92%
I'm a Democrat, and YES we should 48 31.58%
I'm an Independent, and NO we should not 19 12.50%
I'm an Independent, and YES we should 45 29.61%
I don't care, share the cheetoos and chicken nuggets man! 6 3.95%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 AM

544 posts, read 610,503 times

Advertisements

It's obvious that gay marriage is going to be legal in the US within the next 5-10 years. So why not just make it legal by the end of next week? or the end of the year?

I am straight, I don't like some gay guys, because they usually talk disgusting at work. They talk inappropriately about their bodily functions, always talking about who they think is hot, always staring at people, etc. Always causing drama. I treat gay guys that act somewhat like the rest of society as any other person.

I see all the terrible parents out there today. I see all the unhappy, ignorant, selfish husbands and wives.

Really, I don't care who you marry as long as their 18+ and can consent to contracts.

Republicans - Do you really want to argue about this for another 8 years before it finally becomes legal anyways? Are you not sick of it as am I? Gays are already living together, already adopting kids, already doing PDA's.

Seriously, there is pretty much nothing to lose for you by letting them have their gay marriage, except you wouldn't hear them "complaining" about this subject all the time.

Also, if the Republicans were smart, they'd have John Boner go out to the press Monday morning and say "We are ready to recognize and legalize same sex marriage across the United States! All we ask for in exchange is for ... "

So whether you want them to pass a tighter immigration control, debt laws, voter ID's, you name it. Just have them include one thing the republicans really, really want.

That leaves the rest up to the democrats. They either accept gay marriage or not. I'm sure there are a few democrats in the legislature that say they are all for it , but secretly don't want it. After all, politicians aren't known for their honesty or morals.

Last edited by HappyHarley; 11-09-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 AM

544 posts, read 610,503 times
For those voting "NO"... do you think that the federal gov't will not pass a bill making it legal all throughout the US by 2024???? Also allowing for all the same "rights", like the "right" to pay the marriage rate on their tax returns, etc..

Do you really not think it's going to be legal by then or sooner?

So many states have already legalized it... Other states that don't have it legalized are going to have to end up honoring their marriage anyways.

So why vote NO? I don't understand that. Do you really want to argue about and try to stop the inevitable?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
So Boner should use gay marriage as a bargaining chip? Boner gives gays marriage and the GOP gets something they want?

What is it that Boner and the GOP wants the most? One or two things...not a whole big-ol' list.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I think every person should have the opportunity to experience divorce. You know, you would think if they hated them that much, they'd be breaking their backs trying to get them married ASAP.

Last edited by 70Ford; 11-09-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
For those voting "NO"... do you think that the federal gov't will not pass a bill making it legal all throughout the US by 2024???? Also allowing for all the same "rights", like the "right" to pay the marriage rate on their tax returns, etc..

Do you really not think it's going to be legal by then or sooner?

So many states have already legalized it... Other states that don't have it legalized are going to have to end up honoring their marriage anyways.

So why vote NO? I don't understand that. Do you really want to argue about and try to stop the inevitable?

If you only wanted yes votes why did you put no as an option?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,535,208 times
I just don't want it being shoved down our throats or our children's throats anymore. Let them get married.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:26 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Gay marriage is currently legal in the US, at least as far as the Feds are concerned. Even if a same sex couple lives in a state that has not made gay marriage legal, they can travel to a state that does, get a license and their marriage is legal in the eyes of the Feds. Now if your asking if the Feds should force every state to have legal gay marriage, I would say no, let the states work it out themselves. Eventually just about every state will.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Get the government out of the marriage business entirely.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Good luck with that one. I don't imagine taking marriage based legal rights away from millions of American would go over too well.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Realistically, that isn't going to happen any time in the near future. There are too many on both sides that wouldn't allow it to happen. Just listen to the squawking about how same sex marriage is going to destroy traditional marriage. If expanding the legal definition will destroy marriage, then taking away legal marriage completely is Armageddon to traditional marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies