Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 AM

33,573 posts, read 37,191,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
They'll not have to go through our nazi-esque border checkpoint when they vacation down south.
I'd never vacation in the US.......I prefer Belize or Cuba by far.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'd never vacation in the US.......I prefer Belize or Cuba by far.
Well, plenty of your compatriots around here. Every October the trucks start coming down loaded with cars with Quebec and Ontario license plates.

You can also spot the Canadians as the only ones on the beach in a Speedo when the weather is 60 degrees. Unfortunately, they are also usually very large and pale.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,520,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, plenty of your compatriots around here. Every October the trucks start coming down loaded with cars with Quebec and Ontario license plates.

You can also spot the Canadians as the only ones on the beach in a Speedo when the weather is 60 degrees. Unfortunately, they are also usually very large and pale.
Speedo's? Aaaah yes; those would be our confreres from a province that will remain unmentioned in the interests of being politically correct, who have the most warped sense of what constitutes male attractiveness. The only guys on the planet that think a stylish ensemble entails sandals with socks, shiny black dyed head of hair in concert with grey chest hair, speedos and a thick gold neck chain and bracelet. GADS!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Speedo's? Aaaah yes; those would be our confreres from a province that will remain unmentioned in the interests of being politically correct, who have the most warped sense of what constitutes male attractiveness. The only guys on the planet that think a stylish ensemble entails sandals with socks, shiny black dyed head of hair in concert with grey chest hair, speedos and a thick gold neck chain and bracelet. GADS!
I was thinking of posting a pic or two but even in speedo black socks,flip flops and large beer belly the mods may find it too obscene to post...

Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,928,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Honestly, Canada is more or less a well-run place. They have the healthcare thing down pat.

But it has 1/10th the population (a smaller population than California!), and only the fraction of the extremes we have in the America - for both the good and bad. Honestly it's absolutely senseless to compare Canada to the United States. Compare Canada to Australia... even South Africa.

I liken it to life in, say, New York City vs. Maine. One is infinitely better organized, well run, less crime and chaos.... and one simply more interesting and dynamic by virtue of its population and influence.

One thing that saves Canadafrom having many of the social problems we do is distance from Latin America and its immigration policy (which for the US is a non-stop source of imported poverty), and the saving grace of not having inherited slavery from Britain like the American South's plantation economy... the effects of same reverberate today.
Agreed.

Tho I'd be Ok with the US and Canada being 1 country. I def like Canada's way of doing things like their health insurance and so on.

But it would be the end of Quebec using French real fast if we became 1 country.

Like another poster said: it'd be MUCH less hassle to control just the border with Mexico.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
interesting idea, but one that is completely unworkable. as pointed out in the article, here are a few questions that would need to be answered first;

Quote:
Would it be worth grappling with how to integrate U.S., Canadian and Quebec laws or trying to standardize health care across the two countries? Would Washington ever want to inherit First Nations land disputes, Quebec separatists or Justin Bieber? And would Canadians want Washington, especially after such a case study over the past few weeks?[LEFT]
Read more: The case for CanAmerica: Here's how a U.S.-Canada merger could work - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
[/LEFT]
another question that would need to be asked is, what about mexico? the US and canada merged, rather like the european union, and we left mexico out of the equation, you can bet that our southern neighbors would have something to say about it, and would want in on the deal. at that point we may as well take the union to the extreme of adding all the countries from panama north to canada, and call ourselves the north american union, and just erase all those borders.

so how would it work? would US environmental laws be used across the board? how about wage laws? labor laws? safety laws? civil rights laws? would the US be required to eliminate the constitution that has served us well for the last 236 years? how would we deal with law enforcement? if you think US cops are bad, wait until you have to deal with mexican cops.

are we really going to want to take on all the issues each country has? and then there is the question about what currency do we use? the US and canada already use a similar currency with similar exchange rates, but what about the countries south of the US border?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:40 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,288,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Not to many of the underclass ghetto black entitlement culture either, very lucky Canadians.
Oh, they're cool. It's Republicans I don't care to share my air with.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,288,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

Tho I'd be Ok with the US and Canada being 1 country. I def like Canada's way of doing things like their health insurance and so on.

But it would be the end of Quebec using French real fast if we became 1 country.
I don't see why that would change, but it might be rough for former Americans to get used to not being allowed to carry guns.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
interesting idea, but one that is completely unworkable. as pointed out in the article, here are a few questions that would need to be answered first;

another question that would need to be asked is, what about mexico? the US and canada merged, rather like the european union, and we left mexico out of the equation, you can bet that our southern neighbors would have something to say about it, and would want in on the deal. at that point we may as well take the union to the extreme of adding all the countries from panama north to canada, and call ourselves the north american union, and just erase all those borders.

so how would it work? would US environmental laws be used across the board? how about wage laws? labor laws? safety laws? civil rights laws? would the US be required to eliminate the constitution that has served us well for the last 236 years? how would we deal with law enforcement? if you think US cops are bad, wait until you have to deal with mexican cops.

are we really going to want to take on all the issues each country has? and then there is the question about what currency do we use? the US and canada already use a similar currency with similar exchange rates, but what about the countries south of the US border?
Mexico can stay away since they're part of LatAm and most of their people DON'T speak English.

Quebec: they can also be their own country but they'd be surrounded on all sides by a Canada and US union so I don't think they'd last real long till French goes out and English goes in as their main language.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I don't see why that would change, but it might be rough for former Americans to get used to not being allowed to carry guns.
Our gun laws would stand. Look at the numbers; the US hase 10 times the number of people than Canada in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies