Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,974,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am what I am.
Read my views on immigration reform and the death penalty, sometime.

Going back to the 80's the conservative Heritage Foundation advocated for a mandate and that healthcare was a human right. That position held for 20+ years before the Murdoch and Koch money influenced their positions on things that matter.
How many times is someone from the OFA brigade going to repeat the lie that the ACA is a "Republican" or a "Conservative" idea. It is not.

If this monstrosity were a Republican or a conservative idea, it would have been passed during the Bush presidency when the GOP held both chambers of Congress. It would have been inserted into the Republican platform, which it wasn't.

And finally, the ACA authors and promoters would have surely been able to get at least some Republican supports if that were true. The reality is that RINOs like Susan Collins, Peter King, and Olympia Snowe, along with every other Republican and several sane Democrats, voted against this crap sandwich. The Repbulican party has exactly ZERO to do with the passage or origin of the ACA, despite the left's desperate attempt to disown the ACA.

If the ACA is such a great bill, why do you liberals repeat the lie that it's a Republican/conservative idea ad nauseum?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:04 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,420,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
To the original OP,
The ACA is NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE INSURANCE.
Does everyone understand that?
Why is it so difficult for people to grasp that idea?
It is for working people WHO DON"T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.
If you have insurance, you don't qualify for the ACA.
I don't know how many times people have to hear this until they get it
through their heads.
LET ME GIVE you an example of junk insurance, the policies they are now
cancelling,
My daughter was hired this year working for a BIG supermarket here in
SOUTH Carolina, and after 90 days she was eliglble for Health Insurance.
She would pay 300 a month for a plan and the benefits were this,
the plan would pay 2,000.00 for any one hospital stay, there was a
10,000 deductable for doctor visits, and no prescription benefits.
THAT IS JUNK INSURANCE. She makes 10 an hr and pays 300 a month for
that? Now do you understand what junk insurance is?
Her BIG company had to upgrade her health insurance due to the ACA law
because it was a junk insurance policy. Now she has a wonderful health plan
under BCBS.
So, if you have health insurance that you like, and I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE
TO BAIL the hospital out if you get sick and can't pay your hospital bill, you keep it.
You do know if you have junk insurance and don't pay your hospital bill that I PAY FOR
it? The taxpayers pay for people who don't have insurance and can't pay their bills.
That is why the AFA was enacted, to take the burden off of the hospitals being left
holding the bag for uninsured people.
Wow. I guess I am pretty far off base, then.

I already had insurance and I am a working person. You say the ACA is not for me. Yet the ACA caused the cancellation of the insurance I had (which was NOT JUNK so don't bother typing in any more lies about that). And my new policy had to be ACA compliant. And it sucks in many ways.

So I had no choice in whether or not I "qualified" for the ACA. I sure qualified to have the policy I liked cancelled out from underneath me. I sure qualified to have a new policy jammed down my throat.

So tell me again why or how the ACA is not for me? I wish you were right, but you are not.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 PM

808 posts, read 663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am what I am.
Read my views on immigration reform and the death penalty, sometime.

Going back to the 80's the conservative Heritage Foundation advocated for a mandate and that healthcare was a human right. That position held for 20+ years before the Murdoch and Koch money influenced their positions on things that matter.
who cares what was 30 years ago?

the plan was TESTED in MA and did not work - by 2010 it was OBVIOUS this type of insurance is a FAIL - the costs skyrocket, the ER visits increase, the availability of medical care decreases.

Only an idiot implements the plan which has already been proven to be a failure, unless the real goal is absolutely something different than what is stated in public.

And that is what it is - the lies are now falling apart and uncovering the real purpose of this foreknown failure.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,044,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Wow. I guess I am pretty far off base, then.

I already had insurance and I am a working person. You say the ACA is not for me. Yet the ACA caused the cancellation of the insurance I had (which was NOT JUNK so don't bother typing in any more lies about that). And my new policy had to be ACA compliant. And it sucks in many ways.

So I had no choice in whether or not I "qualified" for the ACA. I sure qualified to have the policy I liked cancelled out from underneath me. I sure qualified to have a new policy jammed down my throat.

So tell me again why or how the ACA is not for me? I wish you were right, but you are not.
Oh you too? Amazing, isn't it? Five million of us got our policies cancelled. Guess it wasn't for any of those people too.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
Of course. This was already proven by the results of romneycare, where the ER visits increased 25% after it was started.

The purpose of the law was NOT to curtail costs, was NOT to provide insurance to those who don't have it - what is the purpose of the insurance if nobody takes it( NH situation), but was solely to sell out the middle class to the big businesses which insurance companies are.

as demorats ALWAYS do - they sell the middle class to the big pockets, which flourish under democrat administrations.
Oh we are of the same opinion. I don't why people are conveniently ignoring this fact.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh you too? Amazing, isn't it? Five million of us got our policies cancelled. Guess it wasn't for any of those people too.
You really are a small minority. Considering that about half of you are going to come out better with subsidies, you really are getting far more attention than your numbers deserve.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

But I have questions for you. Presuming your interest in providing for the uninsured is sincere, why are you a proponent of Obamacare?
I tend to take the long view and accept nothing is ever perfect or will please everyone. Germany has the oldest universal healthcare system in the world at 135 years. It is continuously tweaked and reformed. It's the nature of the healthcare beast.

I think it highly unlikely that a majority will embrace true universal healthcare in my lifetime and I intend to be around for 2-3 more decades. The powerful healthcare lobbies will never allow it.

I believe healthcare is a human right. ACA is a start I care more for where we end up over the long haul. Why would my premium cost decline 35-50% dependent on plan and your premium substantially increase? I see similar difference is premiums between my area and the more rural downstate areas.

Speculation on my part is that I happen to live in a more competitive insurance and healthcare market than you do or what exists in downstate Illinois. Back with the Hillary Care thing, it called for regional exchanges to best blend healthcare markets. Generally speaking, the Republicans were against regional in favor of state. The ACA is a series of compromises and that included states and regions within states.

What would premiums look like if these regions were expanded? Maybe I would have to pay more and you would pay less. Maybe more insurers in your market would create more competition.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM

808 posts, read 663,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So why weren't they grandfathered in?
because it is not the aim

the goal is to gauge the consumer and with given highest permission and guarantee only the fool won't do it

Old 11-15-2013, 12:15 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,420,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, Southern Belle, the one thing nobody is answering is, Why are Dem senators Feinstein, Landreau, Manchin and Heitkamp saying the things they have been saying about the problems with the ACA?

It can't be that they are concerned about pleasing the racists and Obama-haters in their states, or that they do not care about the poor and the uninsured. So what is the explanation? I can't figure it out, and no ACA supporter has come within a mile of that question.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You really are a small minority. Considering that about half of you are going to come out better with subsidies, you really are getting far more attention than your numbers deserve.
Well, it hurt me and what's that the Dems always say? We should vote for our own interests. Guess I'm just following that advice. While some of you on the left may consider people like me to be statistically insignificant, doesn't mean I'll just slink away and not voice my opinion on how this law has hurt me. Right now there are 100,000 signed up for Obamacare and 5 million policies cancelled. Call us a minority but it was obviously enough to highlight that this law is a bad law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.