Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,470,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My point was and remains, that the mandate and healthcare as a human right was once championed by conservatives.
And the demacratic party once voted against blacks rights. You really want to trade on these points!

Just because they believed something at one time doesnt mean it was right or was a good idea... Right?

Or do you think both of the above are correct today?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:22 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,908,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
My heart goes out to you, southbel. I hope the incredible hash we've ended up with, with deep structural flaws compounded by administrative incompetence, will soon give way to a more rational system.

It seems like if 85% of us had insurance that worked and 15% of us did not, the simplest thing would be to find a way to get care to that 15%. But instead they had to screw up the 85% in the process, and they really aren't doing that much to reduce the uninsured anyway!

Some posters that support the ACA evidently live in places where the networks and choices and premiums and deductibles and out-of-pockets are all good. It isn't me and it isn't you, unfortunately.

Best wishes to you and yours.
The ACA is geared to allow people who don't have Ins to be able to get covered at a fair price. That's about 15% of people. If your plan doesn't comply, you don't have Ins coverage, you have a donate cash to your favorite Ins Corp executive's bonus pay. Pretty much like the old 30s and 40s Protection Racket.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM

3,422 posts, read 3,470,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, you at least have another year to review.

Why isn't/wasn't your plan ACA compliant? Or is it to be cancelled because the insurance company wasn't making enough from it?
Well they sent me a letter that it was complient which is why it was extended till dec 2014. But it states it will end dec 14 forever. Seach on this site i posted a copy of my letter a month ago. Oh and they upped my cost $40 a month.

One of the reasons it might have been considered non complient is the $11000 deductable that is $200 more than allowed which if changed would cause it to be cancelled. So i still dont get the letter that said it was complient and would not change.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,924,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
True for now, but for those with insurance through their employers the big date is 1/1/14. If your plan is not ACA compliant at that time, your policy will be cancelled. The CBO has estimated 40 percent of people who get employer based health insurance will lose it.
It's open enrollment in large group healthcare plan time.

The better employers with majority of full time employees made sure their plans were ACA compliant going into 2013. This is open enrollment season and plans are required to certify they are ACA compliant.

The private sectors that employ the masses have historically employed part timers because the employers wanted to optimize schedules and avoid OT. Many of them offered bottom of the barrel junk policies to their naïve employees so that they could pretend they were top notch employers. Most of them have abandoned the pretense and have sent their employees to the exchanges. The saddest part is that so many of these employees assumed all insurance was alike. They did not learn there was a difference unless they found out the hard way.

Given the PT nature and wages, it's likely most will qualify for subsidies. They will finally have an opportunity to have decent healthcare insurance.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,998,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
And the demacratic party once voted against blacks rights. You really want to trade on these points!

Just because they believed something at one time doesnt mean it was right or was a good idea... Right?

Or do you think both of the above are correct today?
Please don't make statements that are blatantly untrue.

The breakdown of voting on civil rights was regional. Southern Democrats and the few Southern Republicans at the time voted against it, while Northern Democrats and Northern Republicans voted for it.

Regarding health care, in the 1990s Republicans invented the individual mandate idea. Romney's HC plan is identical to Obamacare. What has changed in 15 years that makes them have a different view?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,836,571 times
Quote:
Well they sent me a letter that it was complient which is why it was extended till dec 2014. But it states it will end dec 14 forever. Seach on this site i posted a copy of my letter a month ago. Oh and they upped my cost $40 a month.

One of the reasons it might have been considered non complient is the $11000 deductable that is $200 more than allowed which if changed would cause it to be cancelled. So i still dont get the letter that said it was complient and would not change.
I really wouldn't worry about it for a year. Who can say how things are by then?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,924,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
How many times is someone from the OFA brigade going to repeat the lie that the ACA is a "Republican" or a "Conservative" idea. It is not.

If this monstrosity were a Republican or a conservative idea, it would have been passed during the Bush presidency when the GOP held both chambers of Congress. It would have been inserted into the Republican platform, which it wasn't.

And finally, the ACA authors and promoters would have surely been able to get at least some Republican supports if that were true. The reality is that RINOs like Susan Collins, Peter King, and Olympia Snowe, along with every other Republican and several sane Democrats, voted against this crap sandwich. The Repbulican party has exactly ZERO to do with the passage or origin of the ACA, despite the left's desperate attempt to disown the ACA.

If the ACA is such a great bill, why do you liberals repeat the lie that it's a Republican/conservative idea ad nauseum?
I have not said ACA was a Republican idea. Nothing could be further from the truth.
The principals of a mandate and human right were championed by a once influential conservative think tank. Heck, Teddy Roosevelt campaigned on the platform of universal healthcare back when. Other events competed for his attention and it died.

Republicans vowed to oppose anything Obama wanted back in 2009. I lost count after the 41st attempt to repeal ACA. Where's the alternative?

Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM

39,178 posts, read 51,489,919 times
Quote:

The max family deductible is 12,700 though. The individual one is half that so if any one person in the fam reached the lower number any further bills for that person would be paid 100%. They may be cancelling it because they don't want to insure you anymore. Individual plans come and go. If they start losing money on you, on a line or the admin costs are too high, they just cancel everybody. I understand the many companies want out of the individual markets preferring to work only in employer plans or in ACA offerings. It is up to them in the end.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:43 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,430,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The ACA is geared to allow people who don't have Ins to be able to get covered at a fair price. That's about 15% of people. If your plan doesn't comply, you don't have Ins coverage, you have a donate cash to your favorite Ins Corp executive's bonus pay. Pretty much like the old 30s and 40s Protection Racket.
Bob, please, give it up.

Here is a short quiz for you:

1. How many tens of millions of uninsured will still be uninsured ten years into Obamacare?

2. What was the lifetime coverage limit and the annual benefit cap on my cancelled coverage?
(sorry, trick question, there was no limit and no cap.)

3. Between my cancelled policy and my new Obamacare-compliant policy, which one had the lower deductible, the less-costly coinsurance rate, and the lower out-of-pocket limit?

4. Which policy, the cancelled one or the Obamacare-compliant one, could be cancelled based on my claims history?
(sorry, another trick question, neither one could be cancelled for claims history.)

Please read up on what Democrat senators Landreau, Feinstein, Heitkamp and Manchin have been saying about the Affordable Care Act and its problems. You would gain a more balanced view, and your posts would be improved.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 PM

3,600 posts, read 6,799,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's open enrollment in large group healthcare plan time.

The better employers with majority of full time employees made sure their plans were ACA compliant going into 2013. This is open enrollment season and plans are required to certify they are ACA compliant.

The private sectors that employ the masses have historically employed part timers because the employers wanted to optimize schedules and avoid OT. Many of them offered bottom of the barrel junk policies to their naïve employees so that they could pretend they were top notch employers. Most of them have abandoned the pretense and have sent their employees to the exchanges. The saddest part is that so many of these employees assumed all insurance was alike. They did not learn there was a difference unless they found out the hard way.

Given the PT nature and wages, it's likely most will qualify for subsidies. They will finally have an opportunity to have decent healthcare insurance.
The problem with the employer mandate is this:

The ACA does not require employers to give or subsidize employees non working/stay at home spouses and children.

This will become a huge issue next year. Because these employees are not eligible for subsidies under the ACA.

Take for instance nurse at my former place. She pays around $100/month for herself through employer coverage with $2000 deducible.

Now if she adds her son the employer doesn't subsidize the son. Her premiums jack up to $1100/month with $4000 deducible. Yes. You heard that right. $1100 a month cause its considers a family plan no matter if she had one child or 10.

She makes around $50k a year. So she's paying $12000 in premiums plus $4000 deducible. She cannot go to exchanges and get subsides.

Prior to ACA she could have gotten a pediatric only plan. Now the ACA eliminated pediatric only plans.

She has two options and they are both bad. Pay the $12000 premiums a year ($4000 high deducible)on her $50k salary. That more than the 10% of her income. Or she can check what's on the exchanges which are very expensive without subsides. She's looking at $600/month for herself and child but instead of a $4000 deducible her employer offers she's looking at a $12000 deductible.

Or she can try to choose a $4000 deducible on the exchanges but her premiums go to $1000/month.

It's a no win situation for her or she can opt just not to carry insurance and she won't face a fine since insurance cost are more than. 9.5% of her income.

There are millions of workers like hers especially working for small business that have zero incentive to subsidize non working spouses or kids.

Prior to the ACA she had affordable choices. Now the ACA makes the marketplace very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies