Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
You can buy property... Or do you expect property to be given to you. If you can't afford to buy you should be thanking the rich after all the governments answer are those high rises. If it weren't for real estate investors you would have two choices, live in the streets or live in government high rise.
A question:

If you have a piece of property to sell, would you want to sell it in a "seller's" market or a "buyer's" market?

There is probably a natural balance to income inequality. To me that means the total equality of income is bad and extreme inequality of income is just as bad because either extreme limits the amount of potential buyers that can afford your listing. You would have to drop your price to sell it or hold on to it. I would think you would want as many as possible potential buyers competing for your property at the price you want to sell it at.

I don't know if extreme inequality or total equality leads to lower economic growth because I don't know economic theory or history, but if you have to drop prices to sell, well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Nope. Not taking any economics, and I wouldn't consider "Income inequality" as a valid topic for an economics class, because "income inequality" is stricktly an invention of the Left.

??? Income inequality is a naturally occurring outcome of economic activity, has nothing inherently to do with government, although government variously makes it larger or smaller than what would occur naturally.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
There are scholarly articles on the topic. I personally like this one from Noble Winner Joseph Stiglitz:

Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
I proposed the question in the other thread (the one that some of these posters seem to be running from) and was pretty much avoided.

Would you rather have a business in a poor community, or a wealthy community if your goal is to max sales?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:41 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I object on the ground that most conservatives do not support the right of poor and low-wage workers to own property i.e. the premise of this thread is deficient.
What makes you think conservatives don't support the right of the poor (and low wage earners) to own property? Anyone has a right to own property, and everyone does own property (not necessarily real estate, but that's only one form of property).
  1. Intellectual property
  2. Material things, such as an automobile
  3. Collectibles
  4. The products of ones labor created for sale
  5. Other property (things that one owns)
Please explain your view that conservatives don't support the right of the poor to own property.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
A question:

If you have a piece of property to sell, would you want to sell it in a "seller's" market or a "buyer's" market?

There is probably a natural balance to income inequality. To me that means the total equality of income is bad and extreme inequality of income is just as bad because either extreme limits the amount of potential buyers that can afford your listing. You would have to drop your price to sell it or hold on to it. I would think you would want as many as possible potential buyers competing for your property at the price you want to sell it at.

I don't know if extreme inequality or total equality leads to lower economic growth because I don't know economic theory or history, but if you have to drop prices to sell, well...

Yes, income inequality has an analogue to the Laffer Curve - there is a certain unknown level of income inequality which is not too much or too little but is just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Income inequality is a naturally occurring outcome of economic activity, has nothing inherently to do with government, although government variously makes it larger or smaller than what would occur naturally.
Okay, expand on that.

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
What makes you think conservatives don't support the right of the poor (and low wage earners) to own property? Anyone has a right to own property, and everyone does own property (not necessarily real estate, but that's only one form of property).
  1. Intellectual property
  3. Collectibles
Please explain your view that conservatives don't support the right of the poor to own property.
What is a "Conservative?"

Old 11-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
You can buy property... Or do you expect property to be given to you. If you can't afford to buy you should be thanking the rich after all the governments answer are those high rises. If it weren't for real estate investors you would have two choices, live in the streets or live in government high rise.
Real estate is only one form of property.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
  1. Intellectual property
  3. Collectibles

??? Check your local zoning code. Most conservatives support zoning codes that prop up their property values by restricting property rights and specifically by zoning out affordable property ownership opportunities for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies