Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How so? Except for the hottest of days, even in the deep south, they are fine. My mother would have said you were gross for not wearing them.
What is the point of wearing hose in the heat and humidity?

I'm thinking if you live in a cold climate, on cold days hose would help keep your legs warm, although tights would be better. Of course, in the snow, hose wouldn't help much and they would get WET. There is no question whatsoever that wearing hose in the HOT and HUMID South they get "wet" from sweat if you have to spend even five minutes outside, which is just gross!!!

Thank god I didn't live during your mother's era. By the way, how do those high heels work for you in snow and ice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,529,181 times
I recall seeing a show about a world series during the early 60s. All the men wearing ties. It seems society conformed to a certain fashion standard.

Speaking of body size, Look at any video of outdoor concerts from the 70s. I saw 1 and was amazed to see very few large bodies. Most of the people, mostly younger, were lean and trim. Now go to a mall and look at the size of the people there. Plenty of larger size bodies. Current day food choices has to be the culprit along with reduced overall exercise.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
I recall seeing a show about a world series during the early 60s. All the men wearing ties. It seems society conformed to a certain fashion standard.

Speaking of body size, Look at any video of outdoor concerts from the 70s. I saw 1 and was amazed to see very few large bodies. Most of the people, mostly younger, were lean and trim. Now go to a mall and look at the size of the people there. Plenty of larger size bodies. Current day food choices has to be the culprit along with reduced overall exercise.
Stats show people are getting fatter and fatter every year. All part of the breakdown of society from the glory years of the early 1960s.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Kennedy was killed before his first term expired.

Are there any Cuban exiles posting here who loved Kennedy and miss the way people dressed back then? I would suggest there are a number of people who hated Kennedy because of the Bay of Pigs. IMO, people back then dressed far, far too formally, and were too concerned about "appearances." In cities like Miami today, women are smart enough to not wear hose when "dressing up"....professional business women wear quite expensive suits to work, costly high heels, but no hose. Maybe it's because everyone has a tan, but I think people today are too smart to wear something as stupid as hose in those HOT and HUMID temps!
Hoses were made for people with NO tan! Glad those days are gone, they never fit properly anyway and talk about easy to snag.

You'd be surprised at the talent some women have in spiked heels, while walking in snow & ice.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:08 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
What freaked me was the smoking of cigarettes by newsman on camera, interviewing people smoking cigs, and I think it might of been the Michael Douglass show where his guest were smoking cigs .Another is less partisanship by media and the people. If event happened in our era could you imagine the things CNN and others would say to convince people it was done by {R}s.
I remember all the way until high school that people smoked in grocery stores while shopping. You'd see cigarette butts all over the floor. People even smoked while standing in line. There were ashtrays all over restaurants, even in the bathrooms. Dressing rooms at department stores had ashtrays. Imagine the smell of all those clothes! I know it never bothered me at the time. It just seemed normal, and I was probably used to the smell in every public place. Now it would bother me tremendously. We've come a long way baby!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:19 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
well sure people may have dressed a little nicer back then but cripes, you ever seen such pathetic attempts at trying to be fasionable? talk about throwing something on from the back of the closet! Those styles went out a-half century ago, they looked like bit players from the Alfred Hitchcock Show.
Sounds about right since it was half a century ago. Means they were high stylin at the time.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post

The problem is more than too many sodas, larger portion sizes, and staying indoors. I think the problem is when people started removing as much fat as they could from meals, they added salt and sugar to make up the taste difference. Sugar and carb-filled foods are highly addictive. We've probably reduced heart disease a little because of the low-fat fad, but obesity and diabetes are on the rise.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no.
Maybe you're not.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, who cares. I don't.

It was a much better time. Women didn't work, they stayed home and took care of the children. A man could work one job and support a family.

We never locked the doors on our house, didn't even know where the keys were. I would take that society over this garbage 7 days a week.
I really had to step back and appreciate where I live. I went for a job interview in another state. There were little things that I had taken for granted back home, like pumping gas for the car first, then going in and paying to a real person behind a counter, not paying first to a person enclosed behind six inch thick bullet resistant plexiglas, before I could pump. Maybe people get used to living in a place where crime is so high, that they don't notice those types of extreme measures for something as simple as pumping gas.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Those were the good ole' days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies