Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
THIS!!!!!!

What the ACA-blindloyalists fail to see is that changing the ENTIRE system wasn't necessary. It would have been more efficient to weed out the fraud on medicaid (yes, I realize that politicians likely profit from the fraud, but it's time to clean house) and add those "uninsured" to medicaid.

The resultant mess will, as you pointed out, result in hardly anyone "saving money" on their insurance. If anything, the premiums that do decrease will be offset by increases in deductibles/out-of-pocket expenses.

People with common sense would have realized that there's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but as we all know, politicians are neither "people" or "people with common sense".
The purpose of Obamacare was to provide "affordable" health care coverage for EVERYONE. The joke is in the word "affordable". If you are low income and qualify for Medicaid the cost of coverage to the individual/family can be from zero the a basic low monthly payment, no or low deductible, subsidized by the government, which in reality is being funded by the taxpayer, who can "afford" to subsidize free health care coverage to those who can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
About 1 out of every 5 Oregon ins are on food stamps due to the high demand of rural and small town poor Oregonians. If you ever make it outside of Portland, you will notice the rest of the state is rural, wooded, and small towns. Also, food stamps don't have an association to progressive or conservative seeing the highest percentage of food stamps are in conservative parts of the state..
If you don't think there is a large amount of food stamp, welfare, and underemployment in Portland than you aren't paying attention. Additionally, there are plenty of rural blue counties in this state like Clatsop that aren't very well off.

Finally, the largest percentage of food stamp use in Oregon is in Portland and Eugene, why?, because that's where most of the people live.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If you don't think there is a large amount of food stamp, welfare, and underemployment in Portland than you aren't paying attention. Additionally, there are plenty of rural blue counties in this state like Clatsop that aren't very well off.

Finally, the largest percentage of food stamp use in Oregon is in Portland and Eugene, why?, because that's where most of the people live.
In you attempt to blame the high usage on the blue part of Oregon, you ignore the high usage in the rest of the red state part. I would appreciate it if you didn't try and make this a red verse blue garbage when there are plenty of poor Oregonians in need.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
In you attempt to blame the high usage on the blue part of Oregon, you ignore the high usage in the rest of the red state part. I would appreciate it if you didn't try and make this a red verse blue garbage when there are plenty of poor Oregonians in need.
I'm not caving to emotional appeals. You were the first to reference the political nature. I just said I found it shocking that it was so pervasive in a progressive state.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
I'm not caving to emotional appeals. You were the first to reference the political nature. I just said I found it shocking that it was so pervasive in a progressive state.
And I corrected you that Oregon is a very balanced state when you look at a state as a whole, and that it is the small towns and rural areas that are most in need, so I have no problem with them getting the assistance they need regardless of how they vote. If you think only people in the blue parts use food stamps, then you would be wrong.

So if you could, keep your stupid partisan point of view out of it. We all know how much you have a distaste for the Port landers you live around.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
And I corrected you that Oregon is a very balanced state when you look at a state as a whole, and that it is the small towns and rural areas that are most in need, so I have no problem with them getting the assistance they need regardless of how they vote.
It's not balanced at all. 54.5-42.7 in 2012 presidential elections for Obama. Democratic governor and democratic majorities in both houses. It's not balanced, but whatever.

Quote:
If you think only people in the blue parts use food stamps, then you would be wrong.
I don't think that. I didn't even insinuate that.

Quote:
So if you could, keep your stupid partisan point of view out of it.
Going forward, I will be sure to keep my partisan point of view out of the politics forum.

Quote:
We all know how much you have a distaste for the Port landers you live around.
If you want to consider the expression of my valid criticisms and observations as "hating Portland," than that's all on you.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Merkley is fine, he wasn't my top choice when he ran, but I haven't had any issues with him since and will probably vote for him again.

LOL!!!!!

Like I said.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
Not surprising. One of the biggest surprises for me when I moved here was how much poverty is pervasive in Oregon. I think 20% of the state is on food stamps. You don't usually associate these issues with "progressive" Pacific NW states.
Oregon embraces the down on your luck groups. It is very easy (and "profitable" in a sense) to be homeless here. The amount of services available (food stamps, shelters, assistance organizations) is amazing to me. Which is also why (aside from mild temps) Portland is the #1 destination spot for homeless folks. In Eugene there is almost a subculture in the street families. They have their dogs, their instruments, their tents, their backpacks, etc. etc. I mean, if they dont have to work and they get this stuff provided to them for free..why not?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
About 1 out of every 5 Oregon ins are on food stamps due to the high demand of rural and small town poor Oregonians. If you ever make it outside of Portland, you will notice the rest of the state is rural, wooded, and small towns. Also, food stamps don't have an association to progressive or conservative seeing the highest percentage of food stamps are in conservative parts of the state..
No thanks to the libs who destroyed almost the entire rural economy of Oregon and have since begun desperately to ruin the rest of the state.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:36 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
And I corrected you that Oregon is a very balanced state when you look at a state as a whole, and that it is the small towns and rural areas that are most in need, so I have no problem with them getting the assistance they need regardless of how they vote. If you think only people in the blue parts use food stamps, then you would be wrong.

So if you could, keep your stupid partisan point of view out of it. We all know how much you have a distaste for the Port landers you live around.
Lol....what are you talking about? Where in Portland do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies