Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

This might actually get something accomplished. Tired of watching politicians being basically voted in for life. Imagine, if they actually had to pay attention and do a job. With repercussions.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
I disagree, we'll just get a new crook every two years to take care of their pal$ , same as the one that preceded them.
Better to deny them of as much power as possible, that way, no favors to sell.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,870 times
I disagree with the OP. Term limits are good but making even more elections is not efficient. Not only is there much more money wasted on campaigning, elections, and lobbying - but our government will be even more short-sighted than it already is. So often they don't care about what happens 10 years from now, they just want that instant satisfaction or the headline.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I disagree with the OP. Term limits are good but making even more elections is not efficient. Not only is there much more money wasted on campaigning, elections, and lobbying - but our government will be even more short-sighted than it already is. So often they don't care about what happens 10 years from now, they just want that instant satisfaction or the headline.
I second this. Great post.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:05 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
It takes most of them 2 years to find the restrooms. I don't like career politicians and think they have no place in government, but I don't think a single 2 year term is long enough. I think perhaps a maximum of 2 four year terms, much the same as the POTUS would suffice. They would be there long enough to understand the system and possibly do some good, and not long enough to get their tentacles imbedded too deeply.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,323 times
I too think 2 years is too short. Other hand, I think it's A BIT arrogant of anyONE to think they are THE BEST candidate from their state for over 30 years, etc. (Pa-lease!) So, I do think we've come to a place of needing term limits. I don't think service in congress was meant to be/come a 'career'. And, if one wants to 'serve' longer - let them do that elsewhere.

I like the proposal in 'The Liberty Amendments' -

AN AMENDMENT TO ESTABLISH TERM LIMITS FOR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS
SECTION 1: No person may serve more than twelve years as a member of Congress, whether such service is exclusively in the House or the Senate or combined in both Houses.

SECTION 2: Upon ratification of this Article, any incumbent member of Congress whose term exceeds the twelve-year limit shall complete the current term, but thereafter shall be ineligible for further service as a member of Congress.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:02 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I too think 2 years is too short. Other hand, I think it's A BIT arrogant of anyONE to think they are THE BEST candidate from their state for over 30 years, etc. (Pa-lease!) So, I do think we've come to a place of needing term limits. I don't think service in congress was meant to be/come a 'career'. And, if one wants to 'serve' longer - let them do that elsewhere.

I like the proposal in 'The Liberty Amendments' -

AN AMENDMENT TO ESTABLISH TERM LIMITS FOR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS
SECTION 1: No person may serve more than twelve years as a member of Congress, whether such service is exclusively in the House or the Senate or combined in both Houses.

SECTION 2: Upon ratification of this Article, any incumbent member of Congress whose term exceeds the twelve-year limit shall complete the current term, but thereafter shall be ineligible for further service as a member of Congress.

I like the idea of term limits too, but I also realize that the rewards these sleaze bags collect for screwing the public largely comes after they have left office.

Better to limit what they may do in the first place.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:42 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Default 2 year terms for all politicians.

Prison terms, right?

Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I like the idea of term limits too, but I also realize that the rewards these sleaze bags collect for screwing the public largely comes after they have left office.

Better to limit what they may do in the first place.
The rewards come after they have left office because they've been in office for a long period of time and they have close ties to people who are still in office. They sell their influence. But if they were all serving strictly limited terms then they would never get the influence to sell. Also, if they were all serving strictly limited terms then they would not have ongoing political careers to protect so they wouldn't be making decisions based on what was likely to get them re-elected rather than what was best for the nation.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:42 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
This might actually get something accomplished. Tired of watching politicians being basically voted in for life. Imagine, if they actually had to pay attention and do a job. With repercussions.
Here's a better idea.

1. Term Limits.
2. IF you get elected, you must turn over ALL real property and money with exception of clothes to the government, who will provide you with a place to live and 2 vehicles to drive, 1 for you, 1 for family, along with food and necessities. IF upon the end of your term, we have run a deficit, you forfeit an amount equal to your percentage of the deficit based on number of elected officials, divided into deficit amount. IF the government has more than spent, then you earn by that same percentage. This is ALL based on no additional taxes or fees during your term of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies