Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times

Advertisements

American culture is to blame for our shortened longevity. I'm not suggesting we begin a tough love regimen, but if we actually were more in touch with the effort made to bring food to the table, and if we understood just how far technology has removed us from the natural act of living, we'd appreciate and embrace its splendor and participate in healthier activities.

Americans have their ideal/dream world fed to them and while they might live longer than Aborigines, the quality of their lives is suspect. Longer ain't always better.

I agree with others who've posted that overeating plays a large part in limiting our lifespans, but let's not forget the toxins we put into our bodies in the form of pharmaceuticals--what is it, 51% of the US is taking drugs DAILY! Our modern society is poisonous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I agree with others who've posted that overeating plays a large part in limiting our lifespans, but let's not forget the toxins we put into our bodies in the form of pharmaceuticals--what is it, 51% of the US is taking drugs DAILY! Our modern society is poisonous.
If I am not mistaken, Aspartame was considered for use as a bio-chemical weapon at one point, of course we have MSG, various food colorings, preservatives, and a variety of other substances including hormones, steroids and who knows what else entering our bodies each day. Then to over eat this stuff that passes for food over long periods of time.

Of course, fresh foods require more attention due to their shorter shelf lives and usually take more time to prepare so that should answer your question. People usually don't wish to put much effort or time into the meals they eat. They will however spend much more time researching a new car than they will about the food they place in their own bodies. odd.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:07 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
The US has higher infant mortality, that should be more troubling.

Also, if present trends continue, this country will be a nation of sick people in the future with lots of chronic illnesses related to the hyperinsulinemia syndrome (diabetes, heart disease, cancer). There really is an epidemic of obesity here. Every country has an increase in weight, but the US has alot of people that are flat-out obese and never exercise. The only reason our life expectancy isn't lower is becaues of all the expensive wonder drugs the average person can buy (if they have insurance).

You can place the blame squarely on the lack of urban planning and the auto dependence the government and corporations have created. The average American in a suburb (where the majority of our population lives) walks less than 1 1/2 miles a day. Some walk less than 1/2 a mile. The average person in New York City? Over 5 miles.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:25 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It seems some are very concerned that Japan's life expectancy is 82.6 years and it is only at 78.2 in the USA. This is somehow an indictment of the overall health of Americans and could perhaps be linked to the lack of affordable health care...That would be if American women didn't live over five years longer than men....
Not enough information. You'd have to have relative life expectancy data at perhaps decade intervals in age. Might turn out to be the difference in our gun laws and hence our murder and accidental death from bullets rates. Same thing shows up in the difference in life expectancy between white and black males in this country. A very decent portion of that disappears by the time black and white men reach the age of 60, in significant part because so many black males end up dying from gunfire by the age of 35...

Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 AM

323 posts, read 741,858 times
My dad will be 87 on December 28th. He's in pretty good health. He has ALWAYS ate a lot of veggies. In particular salads. He hates chicken and eats very little meat. He does LOVE his sweets tho. Hot cake with no frosting.

I weighed almost 300 lbs approx 10 years ago. Now I'm at a steady 140 at 5'6". I eat very little meat. I fix a plate and take 1 bite every so often. I NEVER sit down to a plate full of food. But there goes the life expectancy out the window....I smoke.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Not enough information. You'd have to have relative life expectancy data at perhaps decade intervals in age. Might turn out to be the difference in our gun laws and hence our murder and accidental death from bullets rates. Same thing shows up in the difference in life expectancy between white and black males in this country. A very decent portion of that disappears by the time black and white men reach the age of 60, in significant part because so many black males end up dying from gunfire by the age of 35...
True,if that one segment of our population is removed, most crime stats are drastically reduced and as you pointed out,life expectancy would increase.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If I am not mistaken, Aspartame was considered for use as a bio-chemical weapon at one point, of course we have MSG, various food colorings, preservatives, and a variety of other substances including hormones, steroids and who knows what else entering our bodies each day. Then to over eat this stuff that passes for food over long periods of time.

Of course, fresh foods require more attention due to their shorter shelf lives and usually take more time to prepare so that should answer your question. People usually don't wish to put much effort or time into the meals they eat. They will however spend much more time researching a new car than they will about the food they place in their own bodies. odd.
This is happening in other developed nations,food is less wholesome and fresh although I will say fresh produce seemed easy to get in the UK,we went to the outdoor market at the end of the street and bought it when we stayed there.

The grocery foods were still the same only different,in other words still packed with chemicals, colorings and preservatives but just different sorts of foods.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
My dad will be 87 on December 28th. He's in pretty good health. He has ALWAYS ate a lot of veggies. In particular salads. He hates chicken and eats very little meat. He does LOVE his sweets tho. Hot cake with no frosting.

I weighed almost 300 lbs approx 10 years ago. Now I'm at a steady 140 at 5'6". I eat very little meat. I fix a plate and take 1 bite every so often. I NEVER sit down to a plate full of food. But there goes the life expectancy out the window....I smoke.
Good for him and wish him a Happy Birthday.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM

323 posts, read 741,858 times
Thank you. I watch him like a hawk for anything that looks out of the ordinary. I hope to plan his 100th birthday.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post

Big congrats on the weight loss. That's wonderful.

About the smoking. . . please stop now. If you can loose all that weight you can quit. It's not just about a long life it's quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies