Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 10:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Eh? I was referring to the argument that working on Thanksgiving won't kill the employee. Well, closing on Thanksgiving won't kill anyone either.
I noted that I worked a Christmas at a pizza shop. Locally owned place, they have around 5 stores. Generally most of their business was delivery but there wasn't any delivery available. They opened one store for pick up only. It was their way of thanking the community for their success. We were quite busy and many were indeed happy to not have to cook that day.

Nobody is going to die if all the Pizza Shops decide to close on Super Bowl Sunday either. I don't understand the thinking of others that they know what is best for a business and not the business themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I noted that I worked a Christmas at a pizza shop. Locally owned place, they have around 5 stores. Generally most of their business was delivery but there wasn't any delivery available. They opened one store for pick up only. It was their way of thanking the community for their success. We were quite busy and many were indeed happy to not have to cook that day.

Nobody is going to die if all the Pizza Shops decide to close on Super Bowl Sunday either. I don't understand the thinking of others that they know what is best for a business and not the business themselves.
Naturally, employees have somewhat of an investment in their home lives too. I don't think the concern was "Our working on Thanksgiving is bad for business!" Although in this case, the manager might've decided it would be better for employee morale, meaning somewhat of a benefit for the company in addition to just being the "decent" thing to do for the employees' sake. And apparently the company itself agrees with him.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Naturally, employees have somewhat of an investment in their home lives too. I don't think the concern was "Our working on Thanksgiving is bad for business!" Although in this case, the manager might've decided it would be better for employee morale, meaning somewhat of a benefit for the company in addition to just being the "decent" thing to do for the employees' sake. And apparently the company itself agrees with him.
Which is fine. If you want to close, close. If you want to open, open.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one and I am certainly a capitalist, but this is a little different. Service workers, yes, they do have to work and know they are on call, a pizza place does not have any real reason to stay open. Again, had it been the company policy I would feel differently. I will add, I too have worked on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I didn't die from it, we worked around my shift. I have also worked New Years and NY eve. When you are employed at a call center you know the day you accept the job, you might have to work holidays.

As to how much money the franchise owner would have made? That is a good question. My guess is, staying open would not have made him rich.

Should the manager have taken this to the news like it appeared he did? No, that is where I have a problem with his actions.
Everybody seems to have their own idea about what is a necessary service.
And restaurant workers are called 'service' workers...food service
Anybody want to chime in on who might be working to keep CD and other social sites functioning?
Pretty hard to call them vital

Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
The fact is low wage workers ain't got much to be thankful for. They might as well go to work.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
How did this country ever survive when almost all stores and non emergency services were closed every Sunday never mind 2 holidays during the year ?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How did this country ever survive when almost all stores and non emergency services were closed every Sunday never mind 2 holidays during the year ?

You're probably addressing people that can't go 5 minutes without connecting with somebody on their cell phone or I Pod. How do you expect them to last through an entire day deprived of anything?

Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People planned better.

If you knew the gas stations were closed you got gas the day before.
If you knew restaurants weren't open, and you were traveling, you packed a lunch.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've had to work holidays many times. Many people do. What if air traffic controllers simply decided they were going to shut down on a holiday?

It sure would suck for you if you had a heart attack and called for an ambulance only to hear a recording to call back tomorrow as they took the holiday's off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Unlike air traffic controllers and ambulance personnel, nobody`s life depends on pizza. See the difference?
ok imagine if all the hotels closed on thanksgiving, or how about if all the airports closed on thanksgiving. gas stations?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:41 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
Seems a lot of replies aren't getting the main gist of the article - that the manager freely decided to not work on Thanksgiving yet was not fired immediately. Instead, he was asked for a letter of resignation in order for the franchisee to avoid unemployment compensation and/or a potential lawsuit. The manager offered a defense instead.

Had the employee been fired outright without the request for a resignation letter, maybe the folks here who are supporting the franchisee would have a leg to stand on.

And people are comparing Pizza Hut to critical service jobs where employees get double time or more for working holidays? C'mon.

I owned a coffeehouse for seven years. We were open every holiday except Christmas for a half day (and our final year we opened for Christmas as we didn't have travel plans). However, on most holidays my wife and I were the only people working. We did that out of support to the community. We made money. Morning business was brisk and on holidays tips were insane - the customers who came out were truly delighted to have a local place open. But we would never force an employee to work that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies