Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It is that simple. You either have the day off or you do not due to your form of employment.

Stay out of retail, law enforcement, the medical field, sports, sports medicine, don't drive a taxi or run a train or fly a plane or be an air "host" or work in an airport, a hotel, a resort (Vegas and AC don't shut down on turkey day...don't hear them whining about it), don't ever work for a car rental company or a nursing home or a prison.

Especially if you (not you specifically, you in general) can't handle it. And the list could go on and on and on.....

So let's stop pretending people don't work on Thanksgiving and this is something "new".
I'm not saying it's new, I'm saying it's often unnecessary. In this specific instance, and in every instance I can think of regarding restaurants and retail, it isn't necessary for someone to be made to work on Thanksgiving. These are both forms of employment that can easily hire temps if nothing else. Big Lots did it when I was working there. They hired me temporarily specifically so they could give more of their workers the option of staying home for Christmas Eve. And that's Christmas Eve, not even a day I'm fighting for with this argument. Did they have to spend more to do this? Absolutely. But that particular store had lower employee turnover than any other retail store in the area, and it's obvious why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It appears that most stores opened in the evening or later. There's plenty of time to have the traditional Thanksgiving meal and still make it to work.
Well, this is getting at the heart of why people want it off. It isn't all about the meal. You could have that anywhere, including on your 15 minute break at work. People want to be able to take their time relaxing and visiting with family (sometimes family they haven't seen in a long while). Having to watch the clock during Thanksgiving dinner or while a loved one is trying to talk to you is no way to spend it either. Indeed, you might as well be at work because your brain is already there. It's just not the same.

And I'd be pretty confused if a family member had to rush off to work after Thanksgiving dinner... to go sell vacuums or something, lol.

I realize the predominant argument is, "It won't kill you to have to work on Thanksgiving". Well, more often than not, it won't kill anyone or put a company out of business to close that one day of the year either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
It is that simple. You either have the day off or you do not due to your form of employment.

Stay out of retail, law enforcement, the medical field, sports, sports medicine, don't drive a taxi or run a train or fly a plane or be an air "host" or work in an airport, a hotel, a resort (Vegas and AC don't shut down on turkey day...don't hear them whining about it), don't ever work for a car rental company or a nursing home or a prison.

Especially if you (not you specifically, you in general) can't handle it. And the list could go on and on and on.....

So let's stop pretending people don't work on Thanksgiving and this is something "new".
You can't always have the luxury of not working those jobs.

My brother and our cousins, our aunt and uncle all work in various chain steakhouse restaurant locations. All are off for Thanksgiving and Christmas, that is their ONLY guaranteed off-day for holidays. New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Columbus Day are all not off. Now throw-in having other family, maybe it isn't as flexible to be able to move Thanksgiving a day or two off. So I wouldn't say it is "simple" like you do. Maybe it is for you, but you are not everyone and your situation may be different and (maybe) you don't want to deal with your extended family vs me, who enjoys the company of my cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It appears that most stores opened in the evening or later. There's plenty of time to have the traditional Thanksgiving meal and still make it to work.
I wouldn't say so. My ex works Walmart and her mom does so. Her mom would need to be in at say 4 PM if she had to work the Black Thursday night/Friday morning sales. It took my family the entire Thanksgiving morning to prep for the turkey, get side dishes cooked, a desert put together and well into the afternoon to do the turkey (two hours plus getting oil to temperature and injections.) We were just getting to eat at 5 PM. To do this, my ex's family would need to be cooking at about 6/7 AM in the morning to be at work for the 4PM start. That or hope that they have the luxury of moving it a day or two later.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 AM

513 posts, read 541,105 times
Quote:
Stop being so jelly. Enjoy the fact you have (had) the day off and most likely the day after as well as the weekend and stop talking about what you have no clue about.

You can go look up all of my posts from any other thread dating back since I joined CD, and I will still own a business. Two, actually. One is retail and that is the one I'm talking about.

Sure it is. One can celebrate the "feast" any day of the year if job obligations don't allow for the calendar day to do so. Why is this so hard for you to understand? It's not about the "calendar day" it's about the celebration and the reason for doing so.

You really celebrate Thanksgiving the day the gov't tells you to and think it doesn't count if it's not on that day the government tells you to?

I'm sure you think you need to celebrate your b-day/anniversary on the day of, too. Or else it "doesn't count", right?

What's Thanksgiving supposed to be about? "The day" you're forced to get together and eat turkey because the fed gov't says so, or the reason?

Today was my Thanksgiving celebration. Turkey tasted just as good as it would have on Thursday, and friends and family had a blast.

So what's the difference, and why do YOU care about other people's personal business when it comes to how they chose to/what day the choose to celebrate a "holiday"?
Don't worry - all the situational "outraged with values" crowd will magically forget their cause on about Dec. 26th.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Don't worry - all the situational "outraged with values" crowd will magically forget their cause on about Dec. 26th.
???

Yes, we will not be as focused on the issue of getting Thanksgiving and Christmas Day off, once the relevant days are a year away.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM

513 posts, read 541,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
???

Yes, we will not be as focused on the issue of getting Thanksgiving and Christmas Day off, once the relevant days are a year away.

Too adult, huh? Sorry about that.

Why no outrage over all the other holidays during the year that people have to work? Why only those two?

Seems to coincide with the sudden awareness of giving to those "in need" this time of year - like need takes the other 11 months of the year off....

I find it funny that many think you simply cannot celebrate Thanksgiving on a non-Thursday or Christmas on days around the 25th.

I've lost count how many holidays we celebrated on other days due to my Dad's Army Career and my Mom working in a hospital - and somehow we survived with only a minimal amount of therapy.

We obviously have NO values, right??

Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Why no outrage over all the other holidays during the year that people have to work? Why only those two?

Seems to coincide with the sudden awareness of giving to those "in need" this time of year - like need takes the other 11 months of the year off....

I find it funny that many think you simply cannot celebrate Thanksgiving on a non-Thursday or Christmas on days around the 25th.

I've lost count how many holidays we celebrated on other days due to my Dad's Army Career and my Mom working in a hospital - and somehow we survived with only a minimal amount of therapy.

We obviously have NO values, right??
I love how posters use personal anecdotes to support their claims. The fact is not everyone has the ability to be adaptable, particularly if they have family visiting from elsewhere or you are coming from different places and have a child or two in college.

I think to reply to the outrage of Christmas and Thanksgiving is for the most part these are family holidays rather than say Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day or Columbus Day.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
No, too vague. Seeing as our specific values are only speaking out in defense of Thanksgiving, and a few of us have mentioned that we feel we should have Christmas off, one could assume that's what you mean by taking aim at our specific values. And so, we won't be too concerned about promoting these values until next November or December.

Quote:
Ah. That's more like it. You may have a good point. What other holidays are you seeing a comparable need to have off?

Quote:
Need... to have a holiday off generally set aside to spend with extended family? Where in those 11 months are you finding another such holiday?

Quote:
This has been explained in earlier posts. Indeed, the one right before yours explains it. The dependence on making various members of extended family available to celebrate the holiday together requires that it occur on the same day, nationwide.

Quote:
What's to be said, you celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas with only members of your household. A lot of people don't.

And as I said earlier, true enough families don't fall apart over stuff like this. But then again, neither do businesses.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Stop being so jelly. Enjoy the fact you have (had) the day off and most likely the day after as well as the weekend and stop talking about what you have no clue about.

You can go look up all of my posts from any other thread dating back since I joined CD, and I will still own a business. Two, actually. One is retail and that is the one I'm talking about.

Sure it is. One can celebrate the "feast" any day of the year if job obligations don't allow for the calendar day to do so. Why is this so hard for you to understand? It's not about the "calendar day" it's about the celebration and the reason for doing so.

You really celebrate Thanksgiving the day the gov't tells you to and think it doesn't count if it's not on that day the government tells you to?

I'm sure you think you need to celebrate your b-day/anniversary on the day of, too. Or else it "doesn't count", right?

What's Thanksgiving supposed to be about? "The day" you're forced to get together and eat turkey because the fed gov't says so, or the reason?

Today was my Thanksgiving celebration. Turkey tasted just as good as it would have on Thursday, and friends and family had a blast.

So what's the difference, and why do YOU care about other people's personal business when it comes to how they chose to/what day the choose to celebrate a "holiday"?
Whatever you say Rockefeller.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
I like how the way everyone seem to think businesses should be held to a certain moral standard by not forcing anyone to work on holidays and spend time with the family and all this other crap. But no one seem to want to mention the hyper-consumerism that drives many of these businesses to stay open on these holidays.

Again, watching people harp on about pizza being non essential and who wants pizza on Thanksgiving anyway?. The same can be said about movies, who the hell wants to catch a flick during this so called family time?. And yet Thanksgiving and many other holidays, especially Christmas sees the most traffic for these places.

Again, when I worked holidays, I actually had customers say "you poor thing, sorry you had to work today", yeah because you and a millions others wanted to come here during this so called "family time". And yet they being there somehow never dawns on them that is the reason I am there.

I am willing to bet half these posters in here who are squealing on about "family time" and "businesses should be closed on holidays" and "greed" probably did all kinds of shopping in malls, spent all kinds of money at restaurants and maybe even watched a movie or two on said holidays perpetuating these businesses staying open during these so called "family time". Then harp on about how cruel and greedy these businesses are for being opened on these holidays. But who needs integrity and consistency when you can get on your pedestal made out of cognitive dissonance and faux outrage?

You think businesses should be closed on holidays or whatever?. Simple, stay at home and they will too. Otherwise, you are just talking out of your ass and need to come off it.
I can safely say, I only went to three different stores since Thanksgiving. Two Walmarts, a Sam's Club and a Target. All on SATURDAY. I made a(n online) purchase Thanksgiving day though. So I guess I can actually say it is nuts to have companies have employees start openning on Black Thursday because I wasn't part of the problem.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Doesn't Thanksgiving food compete with fast food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies