Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Geez, ten years working at Pizza hut? Get a life. College?
My family ran a ski resort, working Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, was a way of life for us.
I do think the boss should set an example and work holidays if employees are expected to work.
He was in management.

And people in hospitality go into the business with the intent to work on holidays. How else can they make money?

That's not the same as hawking pizza on a day when all but cretins eat turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 06:46 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was the local owner that did this, not the corporation.
And corporate HQ said the vast majority of Pizza Huts in the US are closed on Thanksgiving.
If he indeed owned the store, then how was he fired? How can you be fired from a business that you own?

If it was the manager that refused to open the store under the direction of the owner, he should justly be fired for insubordination. That's what would happen to anyone else who refused to work, walked off the job or refused to perform the duty they are paid to perform.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If he indeed owned the store, then how was he fired? How can you be fired from a business that you own?

If it was the manager that refused to open the store under the direction of the owner, he should justly be fired for insubordination. That's what would happen to anyone else who refused to work, walked off the job or refused to perform the duty they are paid to perform.
I agree.

He refused to resign and instead demanded to be fired.

And obviously, his bet paid off because it resulted in complete embarrassment for his bosses and bad publicity for the establishment.

He was willing to live with the consequences of his actions. So he deserves no criticism.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
He has since been re-hired. Of course, they will most likely quietly let him go in a few months for some unrelated reason.

I think it is really sad that people order Pizza Hut on Thanksgiving anyway I am thankful for the terrific meal and wonderful company I had today.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:51 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Geez, ten years working at Pizza hut? Get a life. College?
So you think folks who work in the food service industry have no life?

Old 11-29-2013, 01:05 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasper12

Geez, ten years working at Pizza hut? Get a
life.

What's wrong with an honest day's work? Not everyone can be a CEO or a surgeon.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:34 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
And I told you what an employee of ours could've done had they been so inclined to want to serve the public.

I had the feeling you had another point to make, but if not, have a lovely Thanksgiving.
I had no other point to make. It's O.K. for you as a business owner to remain open to serve the public but not for others it seems.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There should be enough DECENCY in this country that no one should need to even imply that being off on Thanksgiving is a "right."
Somebody had to work on the first Thanksgiving or nobody would have ate.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:01 AM

545 posts, read 400,355 times
I like how everyone here is barking about how everything should be closed but emergency and essential services on holidays. In theory, that would make sense. But you wanna know why that isn't the case alot of the time?. Because many businesses see an increase in revenue on those days.

That's right, an increase. Take movie theaters for instance, don't you find it odd more and more major Hollywood blockbusters such as Django Unchained are being released on Christmas? You wanna know why Hollywood is doing this more and more often?. Because many, if not all theaters see one of the most heavy if not the most heavy traffic all year round. That's right, Christmas, not some weekend during the summer, is the one of the most busiest times of the year for movies.

So while many people like to harp on about how cruel businesses are to their workers for forcing them to work on holidays fell to see that the market, i.e., people are driving these businesses to make these decisions. So while you can say "pizza isn't essential so no need to be opened on a holiday", the same thing can be said about movie theaters, and yet they are opened, and often times with the most foot traffic of the year. As far as we can tell, this Pizza Hut may very well saw an increase in business on that day.

So while it might be easy to whine about the greed of businesses and such, no one wants to say anything about the greed and consumerism of the common Joe. People started lining up for Black Friday days ago, is it Best Buy fault that people are showing up earlier and earlier and they are responding by opening up earlier and earlier? But of course people only want to talk about how Best Buy is having their workers show up like 2 a.m. or something, not the long ass line that's wrapped around their building.

When I worked holidays years ago, I would literally have customers tell me "you poor thing, sorry you had to come to work today". No s***, you and a million others who are here are the reason I had to come in, hell, they had to call some people in early because it was so busy. I mention that because people like to remove or disconnect themselves from perceived hardships and problems of society, even when they are the root cause of it. Even now, while some posters here are squealing on about how businesses should be close on these holidays probably spent all kinds of money and done all kinds of shopping on these holidays perpetuating these businesses staying open on said holidays. Then come home, get on city-data and try to act above it all. Typical.

I applaud what this guy did, I really do and willing to deal with the repercussions too. But pizza hut probably had reasons to be open on that day, and their bottom line shouldn't have to suffer for insubordination and probably had grounds to fire him. All in all, everyone probably did what they thought was best for them. Now they might have taking him back because of the bad PR but come on, if that was all the reason they took him back, to do damage control, then it would stand to reason that once this story goes away, they would be looking to can him again, for any reason. I've seen it, once you get on the upper management target list, any reason would do to get rid of you. And if he gets fired, good luck trying to get another job when it's known you only want to work when it's convenient to you.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonetoo View Post
But to some people, enjoying their work isn't really work to them, it's pure enjoyment doing what they love to do. I've worked Thanksgiving and Christmas along with other holidays, and the leftovers were saved in the refrigerator for me, It never bugged me to work a holiday, but some people feel entitled to getting certain holidays off.
This feeling of entitlement is a large part of the problems we are facing today.

Quote:
If people work the service, hospitality or restaurant business, working holidays is somewhat expected. Hay, you make a good point! Who would have fed all them pilgrims?
I doubt they were even paid minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies