Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

I think it's a great thing that government is looking to help veterans find employment. Many of them left jobs to join the military. Taking care of vets should have been done many, many years ago.

BUT, I was under the impression that the main purpose of a jobs bill would be to CREATE jobs for millions of Americans. Not where the government rewards businesses for giving a vet a job that already exists.

How about giving Americans who have suffered at the hands of government's mismanagement the opportunity to go to community college or a technical school? I can see taking care of vets as they have always been discarded by the government after they served their country, but that doesn't mean you forget about everyone else.

[LEFT]
Quote:
One bill would give up to $5,600 to businesses that hire a veteran who has been unemployed for six months or more. Companies would get $9,600 for hiring an injured vet who has been out of work that long. Businesses would receive a $2,400 tax credit for hiring a veteran who has been out of work for a month.

The measure also would give one year's worth of GI benefits to unemployed veterans for education or training at community colleges or technical schools.
Read more: Senate to vote on payment for hiring veterans - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/04/4030627/senate-to-vote-on-payment-for.html#ixzz1cvkebqbO - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Reads to me that the company gets $5,600 or $9,600 (disabled) for each vet hired, on top of which they get a tax credit for each vet who was out of work for a month. I wonder: how many of these companies that would look to use this program to their benefit, outsourced jobs for cheap labor without the tax. I can see the recruitment ad: Now Hiring: Disabled vets who have been out of work less than one month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It's part of the redistribution of wealth. Our money goes to business.
Too bad that most people just read headlines "Jobs bill" and don't bother with details.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
I would hope it would be a full-time job with a living wage and benefits, not some part-time retail gig some big-box store could use to scam tax breaks from the government.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
As a veteren I resent this administration using us as a tool to enhance it's appearance to the voters of this country. This is window dressing and nothing more......

Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Plainly spoken freightshaker. Deadly accurate.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

Reads to me that the company gets $5,600 or $9,600 (disabled) for each vet hired, on top of which they get a tax credit for each vet who was out of work for a month........ .

And then people complain when corporations pay no income taxes..............Duh!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I would hope it would be a full-time job with a living wage and benefits, not some part-time retail gig some big-box store could use to scam tax breaks from the government.
So are you going to research the details or just conclude that they are "full time jobs with a living wage and benefits" ?

Don't assume this bill is to help the Vets more than flow money to business owners.
Could turn out that WallyMart reaps much benefits from this bill while those Vets stand there for 4 hours and say "Welcome to WallyMart"

Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
As a veteren I resent this administration using us as a tool to enhance it's appearance to the voters of this country. This is window dressing and nothing more......

Actually it's worse than window dressing.

It makes Obama look good while at the same time reducing taxes on corporations.... that he denigrates for not paying their fair share.

Obama is more duplicitous than any leader in our history.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You guys have to band together and start up a group like the TEA party. Maybe you can hook up with them and make it all work.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

Now Hiring: Disabled vets who have been out of work less than one month.
My father was a disabled vet and that is seriously depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies