Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well as long as the other person isn't forcing them to sign, that is considered free will. How do you prove one person in a man/woman marriage isn't being forced into a marriage?
Given polygamy's l-o-o-o-o-o-ng history of coercive plural marriages, I think you'd need a pretty strict standard. So the guy or her father, or other male relative, beats the woman; or holds a gun to her head, literally or figuratively; or her church leader tells her it's the only way for her to get to heaven; all in private, and then she "willingly" signs the marriage license? GMAB!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,955,756 times
I want to know:

Where in the world - among the many countries or the more than a dozen US states where same-sex marriage is legal - has polygamous or incestuous marriages been legalized?

Where?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Polygamy?

None of my concern because, to quote Thomas Jefferson,: "It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg".

Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Arrow Victory for marriage in Utah!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/us...ened.html?_r=0

<3

Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,005,982 times
The law that was struck down forbade certain types of cohabitation, not marriage. I was under the impression that the civilized world widely accepted the principle that adults' cohabitation arrangements are no business of the state, as opposed to a legal marriage. At any rate, it provides more support for the argument that marriage should be considered a personal, contractual matter between citizens, rather than controlled by the government, i.e. separation of marriage and state. Enacting this would require rewriting tons of laws, but the reward of such a separation would be comparable to what separation of church and state has yielded both to the political debate and to religion itself. Each thrives better when they are free to grow, adapt, and travel on their own paths rather than being tied together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Given polygamy's l-o-o-o-o-o-ng history of coercive plural marriages, I think you'd need a pretty strict standard. So the guy or her father, or other male relative, beats the woman; or holds a gun to her head, literally or figuratively; or her church leader tells her it's the only way for her to get to heaven; all in private, and then she "willingly" signs the marriage license? GMAB!
Some places had a long history of coercive two-person marriages as well; that history presented no impediment to enforcing laws against coercive marriages once they were enacted. I see no reason why polygamy would be different in this aspect.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,231,801 times
Quote:
How are you going to determine #3? Please elaborate.
How are you going to determine the opposite of #3? Please elaborate.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:23 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,231,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I want to know:

Where in the world - among the many countries or the more than a dozen US states where same-sex marriage is legal - has polygamous or incestuous marriages been legalized?

Where?
As far as I know, nowhere really. Then again I haven't done much research into the topic since it's of little interest to me.

I've stated my requirements before and as long as the party members meet said requirements, then I couldn't careless who gets married, what their relation is to one another, or how many people are involved.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Intriguing. Cohabitation is illegal in Utah? When are they going to go after all those single people who are living together? Well, victory for Kody Brown, who pushed this to the Court system.

Still uncomfortable with the language of "religious freedom" as the justification for plural marriage, and the separation of church and state in religious practices, as that same argument was used for decades to alow the child rapes to occur with no government intervention or protection for the girls who were often coerced into polygamous marriages at the ages of 13 and 14 years old, with men, often over age 50.

While this practice has been vigorously pursued in recent years, it was only because of anti polygamy groups like Tapestry against Polygamy who made it an issue, and forced government agencies to protect these children. Organizations and Websites – Polygamy Is Abuse

Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Then they wouldn't be consenting adults. Are you saying there hasn't been coercive man/woman marriages?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Where are all the liberals screaming for joy? I guess there aren't many voters in that block so they don't really care so never mind. Typical liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies