Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Judging from the teacher's reaction, I think there is something more to this than what is being told.

NEW Video Landing Page - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

[]
That is almost always the case with these articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's a case of "he said, she said" …… I saw the video, it wasn't a simple 'hug' - he wrapped his arms around her and she was struggling and pushed him away. These guys need to understand what "No" means. He hasn't lost a scholarship - his Mother said the "chance" at a scholarship. Big Difference.
You bet there is a big difference. And just how many full ride scholarships are there out there anyway? I hear a lot of people talking about someone getting a scholarship, but I have never actually known anyone who has received same, except for football/male basketball players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have worked in the public school system, and have read the rule book for employment. There is a strict policy about touching students. Hugging can get you fired. THAT is the reality.
I guess you don't understand the entire argument. If hugging gets you fired every coach would be fired. That is the problem with you liberals. Giving a kid a hug does not go straight to some sort of harassment nor does a kid kissing a little girls hand by a six yo. You folks have become lost in your "policy" and "rule books" and have given up on how to take care of children. Some of em need a hug once in a while. Why is that so bad? I guess in liberal lala land where all you care about are children you don't really care. Somehow that doesn't shock me. All for the children nonsense my arse..........you folks hate kids is the problem.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is almost always the case with these articles.

You bet there is a big difference. And just how many full ride scholarships are there out there anyway? I hear a lot of people talking about someone getting a scholarship, but I have never actually known anyone who has received same, except for football/male basketball players.
I was in hi skool with a kid who got a full ride to Nebraska but like you say most are partial............you get books paid or what have you especially with the soccer and vollyball types or if your not a huge recruit. Hell every little bit helps nowdays. In ten years nobody will be able to afford college. I think that is what they want though. A society of idiots.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Guilty as charged based on what I saw. He has been suspended several times before. That wasn't an innocent hug. His sad face at the end of the segment appeared faked. That kid has problems respecting personal space.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I was in hi skool with a kid who got a full ride to Nebraska but like you say most are partial............you get books paid or what have you especially with the soccer and vollyball types or if your not a huge recruit. Hell every little bit helps nowdays. In ten years nobody will be able to afford college. I think that is what they want though. A society of idiots.
My kids both got academic scholarships which paid part of their tuition, period. I'm not knocking it, you take it where you get it. Just sayin', I doubt this kid was a candidate for any type of "full ride" scholarship.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Hey that is why I tell my kids to get straight A's. LOL. They don't get it at the time but do later. This kid who knows they will never tell us.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:13 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess you don't understand the entire argument. If hugging gets you fired every coach would be fired. That is the problem with you liberals. Giving a kid a hug does not go straight to some sort of harassment nor does a kid kissing a little girls hand by a six yo. You folks have become lost in your "policy" and "rule books" and have given up on how to take care of children. Some of em need a hug once in a while. Why is that so bad? I guess in liberal lala land where all you care about are children you don't really care. Somehow that doesn't shock me. All for the children nonsense my arse..........you folks hate kids is the problem.
I guess you missed the word CAN in my post. And yes, teachers CAN get fired for hugging students.
In this case it was the student, who had been warned before to not hug the teacher, that got into trouble. I thought you guys were all about personal responsibility? When the student was warned, he should have been responsible and not done it again. Same thing with the 6YO. He had been repeatedly warned, and did not stop. Why do you think that children should be allowed to repeatedly do something that is not allowed?
My son knows that he gets one warning, then he will be punished for failing to follow rules. Maybe it is you that that really doesn't care about children, and teaching them that actions have consequences.

http://www.nea-nm.org/misc/TeachDon'tTouchColor.pdf

A brochure that discusses teachers and hugging/touching.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Depends on the back story. If the teacher had previously told the student not to touch her......well, the punishment sounds justified.

And the 6 year old boy who got "charged" with sexual harassment. From what I have read, this kid had been continually harassing a little girl classmate and had been told to knock it off by various school personnel. I mean, what are they supposed to do, ignore a behavior that is very problematic for the little girl??
Agree. Some kids are 'biters' and some kids are 'kissers'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
That kid needs to be drugged!
Perhaps parenting and the school suspension might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds like it was not wanted attention and he either made a mistake or unwanted advances from what teacher said.
It appears inappropriate.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I guess you missed the word CAN in my post. And yes, teachers CAN get fired for hugging students.
In this case it was the student, who had been warned before to not hug the teacher, that got into trouble. I thought you guys were all about personal responsibility? When the student was warned, he should have been responsible and not done it again. Same thing with the 6YO. He had been repeatedly warned, and did not stop. Why do you think that children should be allowed to repeatedly do something that is not allowed?
My son knows that he gets one warning, then he will be punished for failing to follow rules. Maybe it is you that that really doesn't care about children, and teaching them that actions have consequences.

http://www.nea-nm.org/misc/TeachDon'tTouchColor.pdf

A brochure that discusses teachers and hugging/touching.
Exactly. My child has been taught boundaries, and she knows better than to hug, kiss, or otherwise touch another person unless that person is agreeable.

I expect her to face the consequences of her actions. Especially when a warning has been given.

I am not against hugs when others need them. I am against hugs when they are not welcomed. A person has the right to decide if he/she wants to be touched, and by whom. If that's "liberal" parenting, then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies