Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Duck Dynasty Star for his statements about Gays?
He should be fired! 2 9.09%
He should be suspended 0 0%
He should be allowed to go back after an apology 1 4.55%
He should be able to state his opinion without fear losing his TV job 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:19 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
The rest of the family has said they will not continue without Phil, so A&E is subject to lose the show and a ton of money.
I honestly think I'm going to have to watch this show because of all the liberals who have made a big deal about these comments.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
A&E is run by people who didn't think this through and will be regretting this when the money goes to another network.
A&E is not a one show network.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:21 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Actually, I'm wondering if this was a publicity stunt by A&E. This could have been the conversation after the Duck Dynasty cast member's comment:

Executive A: Dang it! Why did he have to say that! We need to ignore this and downplay it, and it will go away.

Executive B: Oh no. We need to make sure as many people know about this as possible, and we need to focus attention on this, and suspend the actor, and give the impression of considering firing the actor.

Executive A: We can't fire the actor. That would kill the show. It's a reality show. It won't seem as believable if we just remove an actor, or worse, replace the actor.

Executive B: I didn't say we'd fire the actor. I said we'd suspend the actor and pretend like we're considering firing the actor. We'll never really consider firing the actor. His suspension will placate the people who were ticked off by his comment, and his suspension will make him seem like a martyr to all the people ideologically opposed to censorship of any kind, and all the people who view homosexuality as sinful. This will give the show free publicity, while making the show appear more realistic. He did, after all, get suspended for a comment it would not be surprising for southern deeply religious Christians to make.

Executive A: Yay! More money!

Executive B: Yay! More money indeed.
Winner winner Chick-Fil-A dinner!

A&E gets to look like they are "doing something" while laughing all the way to the bank with the money of bigots with persecution complexes who are supporting free speech by buying Duck Dynasty bedroom slippers and chia pets.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:21 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
A&E is not a one show network.
It's an important money maker for the network. Before you type stuff, do your research. Duck Dynasty has set viewership records. There is also the merchandise that is based off of the show.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:22 PM

723 posts, read 633,960 times
Quote:
It's an important money maker for the network. Before you type stuff, do your research. Duck Dynasty has set viewership records. There is also the merchandise that is based off of the show.
Many, many networks have survived the cancellation of popular shows.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Take the sins listed in the bible up with the people who wrote the bible. I'm sure the adulterers and drunks are upset that their activities are viewed as a sin in the bible too.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

So he's telling me his view of morality is that he thinks this is WRONG and SINFUL? How DARE he judge me!

But wait a minute...it's OK for someone, entire networks, even, to classify me as a bigot, a redneck, etc if I believe that marriage is between one man and one woman? They can impose their moral beliefs on others but they won't put up with someone else doing the same? I am not allowed to be offended by this? I mean, if I am, then that proves that I'm a bigot, right?

Hmmm....

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-20-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dissenting opinions will not be tolerated in America any more.

Censor and punish those that voice opposing opinions.
The road to Utopia will be paved with many bodies.
So the government needs to do something about it by forcing A&E to rehire Robertson, and if it refuses fine A&E $1,000,000 every day until it complies?

Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
They are getting a lot of free advertisement with this. I never heard of the show before, and now I don't hear about anything else. Rush Limbaugh and few others use the same approach. They say something outrageous every now and then to get their faces on the news.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM

542 posts, read 691,675 times
Quote:
A&E is run by people who didn't think this through and will be regretting this when the money goes to another network.
I hope this is the day when a network takes the high ground over bigotry and money.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We need to clear something up here. Nobody's rights were under assault. I definitely don't agree with A&E's decision, but it is within their rights to do what they did. Robertson did not have his 1st Amendment violated, and A&E is exercising their 1st Amendment rights. A&E is not a government contractor, nor owned or operated by the government. The situation between Robertson and A&E was between two private parties. The 1st Amendment does not protect free speech between private parties, much like C-D has the freedom to censor our opinions. This is a private forum, 1st Amendment does not apply here. The same thing happened with Robertson. So, no, you can put the scary big government claims away, because this is not a case of the FCC censoring Robertson, it is his private employer.
I agree, Robertsons situation is not about free speech necesssarily. I am of the believe that any company should be able to fire anyone for any reason. I have been slapped down here on this very forum for expreesing the same things Robertson did. The bigger issue is the double standard and reverse intolerance by our governments media and the left on behalf of a very minute percentage of the population. Especially when what was said was the obvious truth and a no brainer. This is not a free speech issue......however if it ever comes to a point where a person can be charged with a crime for calling some one a qu**r or f*ggot, then it will be and my belief is that is where we are headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies