Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'll take it that the pro-child labor position is mainly a "Georgia thing."

Oh lord please spare us the hysterics. Sweeping a few floors and cleaning off a few tables is NOT child labor. Only in these pathetic and weakling times is that considered child labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Yeah, and I used to walk twenty miles to school with my little sister on my back. In the snow.

What's wrong with you? Setting up kids to be mocked because they are poor doesn't build character, it makes the kid an object of ridicule.
Oh no! Kids might mock them? Oh golly I didn't realize that...that changes EVERYTHING.
I really hate to have to be the one who breaks this to you but kids are going to get made fun of all the time growing. That is what kids do. They're going to pick on other kids, make jokes, etc. Then they all grow up and move on with their life.

If it makes you feel better we should put all the kids to work at different parts of the grounds.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
...Oh holy crap.

Rep. Jack Kingston Proposes That Poor Students Sweep Floors In Exchange For Lunch

"But one of the things I’ve talked to the secretary of agriculture about: Why don’t you have the kids pay a dime, pay a nickel to instill in them that there is, in fact, no such thing as a free lunch? Or maybe sweep the floor of the cafeteria -- and yes, I understand that that would be an administrative problem, and I understand that it would probably lose you money. But think what we would gain as a society in getting people -- getting the myth out of their head that there is such a thing as a free lunch," he said.

and I included a link to WND for the right wing.

Congressman: Poor kids should sweep floors for ‘free’ lunch

I can feel the GOP cringe from here.
Why would I cringe?

Rights without responsibility is ruining America.

I started working when I was 10....shoveling sidewalks, weeding, cleaning the outside of businesses, washing cars for people, etc.

What is wrong with that?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I wouldn't mind the parents doing a bit of manual labor, but I wouldn't involve the kids in it. It's not their fault.
Nothing is anyone's fault anymore.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
^very funny

Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Yeah, and I used to walk twenty miles to school with my little sister on my back. In the snow.

What's wrong with you? Setting up kids to be mocked because they are poor doesn't build character, it makes the kid an object of ridicule.
Setting kids up? I told you reality sir.........something you folks just can't seem to understand. Do you think a 16yo kid sweeping the floor is child labor? Or a 14yo.....or an 8yo? If that is the case then all parents are gulag administrators. You folks don't even know what your talking about anymore all you do is wail away.

To put it frankly you are full of something that doesn't smell good. You seem to come around here trying to get things started for some reason. Why is that. You get a nickel a post or something?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
this will make as many people angry as obamacare. actually asking people to pay something towards their upkeep is highly offensive to many. our mind set is everything should be free and first class. it took us 50 years to get in this state of dreamland.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
In my jr HS and later HS a number of male students were regularly selected to clean up the lunch room after each sitting. Nothing unusual. We were a private school so non-teaching staffing was rather limited.

In fact, I recall the football team was put to use pushing a manual grass cutter (normally hitched to a vehicle) to trim the playing fields and commons. It was large and heavy enough to require several persons to push or tow it. Pushing was preferred.

I do not see an issue with students doing something to appreciate the value of what they are being provided with. I do believe something given as free is never appreciated.
This is like you say catholic or "private" school. Children and parents there are expected to chip in all the time and do their part. In the public system they just send their kids off and expect them to be fed for free and taught for free and books for free etc. In a private setting when kids have to do some extra work they aren't mocked. These folks think sweeping the floor is child labor. I mean do they make their own kids clean their rooms or do they do it for em? Insanity has taken over this country.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM

In the liberal mind, they would rather have the middle class and rich kids clean up to pay for the poor kids.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Exactly!!!

You can definitely tell who all the takers vs the producers are in this thread by the responses.
I just want to know how cleaning up is child labor. These folks make absolutely no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies