Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Another example is this story about the federal imposing a universal speech code on colleges.

The scary thing is that in today’s world, the little sheeple on campus will accept, and probably even applaud this.
In a letter sent yesterday to the University of Montanathat explicitly states that it is intended as “a blueprint for colleges and universities throughout the country,” the Departments of Justice and Education have mandated a breathtakingly broad definition of sexual harassment that makes virtually every student in the United States a harasser while ignoring the First Amendment. The mandate applies to every college receiving federal funding—virtually every American institution of higher education nationwide, public or private.

The letter states that “sexual harassment should be more broadly defined as ‘any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature’” including “verbal conduct” (that is, speech). It then explicitly states that allegedly harassing expression need not even be offensive to an “objectively reasonable person of the same gender in the same situation”—if the listener takes offense to sexually related speech for any reason, no matter how irrationally or unreasonably, the speaker may be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Another example is this story about the federal imposing a universal speech code on colleges.

The scary thing is that in today’s world, the little sheeple on campus will accept, and probably even applaud this.
In a letter sent yesterday to the University of Montanathat explicitly states that it is intended as “a blueprint for colleges and universities throughout the country,” the Departments of Justice and Education have mandated a breathtakingly broad definition of sexual harassment that makes virtually every student in the United States a harasser while ignoring the First Amendment. The mandate applies to every college receiving federal funding—virtually every American institution of higher education nationwide, public or private.

The letter states that “sexual harassment should be more broadly defined as ‘any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature’” including “verbal conduct” (that is, speech). It then explicitly states that allegedly harassing expression need not even be offensive to an “objectively reasonable person of the same gender in the same situation”—if the listener takes offense to sexually related speech for any reason, no matter how irrationally or unreasonably, the speaker may be punished.
Yup, the vise is tightening and many don't even know it.

Teachers in many schools are being told not to touch the kids under any conditions.
Call the office instead.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:28 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
free speech has been curtailed alot. silencing the opposition is much easier than fixng the problem.
its not what is said and done as so much who says and does it.
many a bright young worker has been stopped on the career ladder by an alleged off color remark, while those of another color use the same words all day long in race baiting attempts with not so much as a reprimand.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:37 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Does the Constitution say that A&E has to keep paying him to be on a TV show they broadcast?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
As much as Liberals complain about Conservatives trying to 'legislate morality,' they see no problem with doing it themselves under the guise of fairness and equality. What they mean is fairness and equality for who they think deserves it; opposing opinions not welcome.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
You might want to ask the Martin guy from MSNBC how he feels about it. Funny how people twist reality to meet and feed their political agenda. I just hold on to my popcorn and feel sorry for any sheeple who feel a single party has all the answers for our nation.
True--the same thing occurred to me. There was a huge amount of 'outrage' on the right about Martin Bashir's comment, for which he actually apologized. Why are people held to different standards of "free speech" by the right?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The biggest attacks on the 1st amendment come from the far right. Remember Bush's war on the music industry?
no. i have difficulty remembering things that never happened.

but that's just me..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think the attack on free speech is most seen in treatment of whistle blowers.
any whistle blower behavior is considered criminal. history will show us who was the real criminal.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
A person has the Right to say anything they damn well please from the barroom to the boardroom. They also have the responsibility for taking the responsibility for the reaction of the people they might offend. This reaction my range from agreement to, in the barroom, getting clobbered to, in the boardroom, to getting fired if people are offended by what was said.

I have written things that violated the rules of this forum and have been punished for those violations. I offended the moderators and they responded. I can still post whatever I please but this society, like any other, may punish me for doing so. That is OK. Without the discipline the result is chaos.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Does the Constitution say that A&E has to keep paying him to be on a TV show they broadcast?
It's odd to see conservatives -- of all people! -- arguing against an employer's right to terminate an employee at will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies