Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 06:37 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Arguing with a global warming denier is like fighting the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Man made global warming believers are as Mark twain would put it...

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

Old 12-25-2013, 06:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
and this man is perhaps one of the most vocal in either branch of Congress in disputing what 97% of actual climate researchers agree on.
There's that number again . Cite a specific study for that number that directly polled individual scientists. I don't want links to articele, I don't want links to Wikipedia, specific references only.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Even if that were true, how would calling for an expansion of the size and scope of government negate the accuracy of scientific research? You are arguing that this is mutually exclusive (unable to exist at the same time), that an expansion of government would somehow make science flawed, which, of course, is absurd.

And, of course, you are incorrect in that science somehow is dependent on government in the first place, which is a bizarre connection to make, and ties your fear of science to your hatred of government. (See #4: Claiming the Scientists Misrepresent Data for Increased Funding)

Again with this bizarre connection of government to science, where one cannot exist with the other. You live in your own world, that is for sure. And to think the U.S. government is "anti capitalistic" is the howler of the day.
One reason Theodore Roosevelt looked to have unbiased experts added as federal employees was to take the bias out of the science that was being manipulated by wealthy capitalists to advance their own interests. There are many parallels of the beginning of the last century with the beginning of this one. Large corporations and self-interested capitalists are using their wealth to control legislation and diminish the power of labor in markets. We have have dismantled some of the protections that TR and others implemented for future generations. Oil drilling, coal extraction, and massive deforestation were ruining our young country and if not for TR and others we most likely wouldn't have seen the development of a large middle class in the latter half of the last century.

Regardless of one's political affiliation or personal opinion of Al Gore his new book does contain important information that should be honestly evaluated and discussed. To think that 7 billion people's' behavior and use of manufactured goods and chemicals does not have an adverse affect on our environment for future generations is lunacy.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,251 times
‘On the inquest it was shown that Buck Fanshaw, in the delirium of a wasting typhoid fever, had taken arsenic, shot himself through the body, cut his throat, and jumped out of a four-story window and broken his neck--and after due deliberation, the jury, sad and tearful, but with intelligence unblinded by its sorrow, brought in a verdict of death "by the visitation of God."’
- Mark Twain, Roughing It, Ch. XLVII (1872)
. . .

Some people refuse to admit to the truth.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Regardless of one's political affiliation or personal opinion of Al Gore his new book does contain important information....
I may consider a book by Al Gore when he sells his two mansions and moves into a modest home that doesn't have more bathroom space than my entire home(and I don't live in small home). I may even actually pay attention when he divests himself of any interest in companies that will reap enormous profits from the global warming legislation that he advocates for. Perhaps he can send that money to the poor countries around the world instead of expecting me too while he profits.

In other words until he puts his money where his mouth is he has no credibility.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:06 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,829 times
Quote:
Some people refuse to admit to the truth.
Al Gore must love suckers "ooops" I mean people like you while he sits in his lavish ocean front villa. BTW...I guess he's really concerned about the oceans rising...

Old 12-25-2013, 11:07 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Al Gore must love suckers "ooops" I mean people like you while he sits in his lavish ocean front villa. BTW...I guess he's really concerned about the oceans rising...
Al Gore merely used the old "Lex Luthor Gambit" from the original Superman movie. First you scare the crap out of everyone with doomsday predictions about coastal flooding. When prices plummet as people panic, Al Gore gets one hell of a deal on coastal property.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:13 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Man made global warming believers are as Mark twain would put it...

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

Here is one especially for you:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"
- Mark Twain

Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
One reason Theodore Roosevelt looked to have unbiased experts added as federal employees was to take the bias out of the science that was being manipulated by wealthy capitalists to advance their own interests. There are many parallels of the beginning of the last century with the beginning of this one. Large corporations and self-interested capitalists are using their wealth to control legislation and diminish the power of labor in markets. We have have dismantled some of the protections that TR and others implemented for future generations. Oil drilling, coal extraction, and massive deforestation were ruining our young country and if not for TR and others we most likely wouldn't have seen the development of a large middle class in the latter half of the last century.

Regardless of one's political affiliation or personal opinion of Al Gore his new book does contain important information that should be honestly evaluated and discussed. To think that 7 billion people's' behavior and use of manufactured goods and chemicals does not have an adverse affect on our environment for future generations is lunacy.
*clap**clap**clap**clap*

There are a couple of people on this thread that understand what you wrote, but the majority will no more understand such historical review than they could understand basic science.

Of course, the industrialists are winning, and always have been. How else does one explain trailer park conservatives shrieking out for tax breaks for billionaires? It has been very easy for the industrialists to shift the argument away from science (something denialists cannot grasp) to an argument about increasing taxes or government control or some other red meat argument to get the base riled up, as well as presenting it in a format they think they can understand.

The Dumbing Down of America is deliberate, targeted, and highly effective. This particular forum provides copious amounts of evidence.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:29 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,560 times
The latest articles out now pretty much claim everything was grossly exaggerated.

You kind of have to exaggerate in order to get funding for your environmental programs so it wasn't news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies