Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
75% of gay people are Democrats. I like my chances that I've figured you out accordingly, even through the computer screen. You have my support to marry whom you want, and for the things you deny me in the ballot box, I guess I'm just going to have to fight for them another day.
So if gays don't vote Republican, they automatically don't support your right to own guns?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM

524 posts, read 400,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You seem to forget there are many independents. I actually voted Johnson.
So did I. I voted my conscience, not consensus.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No one denies you a right to marriage.
So you would advise a gay male who wants to get married to marry a straight woman? Or kill two birds with a stone by trying to marry a lesbian who wants to get married? If so, what two fools would want that kind of marriage?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you would advise a gay male who wants to get married to marry a straight woman? Or kill two birds with a stone by trying to marry a lesbian who wants to get married?
Or go to a state where such arrangements are legal.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Where have I given any indication that I don't support your right to enter into such a contract with another human being of the same gender? All I've done is call out the hypocrisy of the gay rights movement with regard to the word "rights."

You support your "right" to marry, but you don't support my right to not have health insurance without any form of government force (i.e. a "penalty" "tax" whatever you want to call it). You don't support my right to only pay in taxes what is proportional to the value of government services I consume.

You don't support my right to bear arms, because you vote for people who don't. You don't support my right to have whatever toilet I want, or whatever light bulb I want, despite the fact that the impact of non-environmentally sound toilets and lightbulbs is totally negligible, AND I PERSONALLY pay more for the use of such objects that consume more through utility buildings.

So while I find the treatment of gay people in this country for being gay pretty deplorable, don't you tell me about how terrible you have it because you have your rights denied to you. Your little marriage is nothing compared to the crap you've voted and forced on me. So gay people should go ahead and quit acting like they're some civil libertarians who "care" about rights. The fact is, you don't care about rights or civil liberties at all, just one of them.
Oh, how misguided this entire post was.

Because liberals generally favor civil rights, it means anyone who favors civil rights 100% agrees with everything liberal do? Seriously?

I support gay marriage. Why? Because every reason against it is simply stupid. Does this make me a liberal? Socially liberal, perhaps. But I don't agree with everything Democrats do. I didn't even vote democrat in the last election.

I think you should own a gun (well, if you know what you're doing of course). I don't think anyone should be forced to have health insurance.

This is my biggest problem with politics. People are so black and white. Your either a democrat or a republican. That's how people think, and I find that insane. Nothing should even be that simple. If you are a Republican, and the GOP officially makes a statement you don't agree with, guess what... You don't have to agree!

Just because someone supports gay rights doesn't mean they love the ACA or gun control. Don't just assume things.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Oh, how misguided this entire post was.

Because liberals generally favor civil rights, it means anyone who favors civil rights 100% agrees with everything liberal do? Seriously?

I support gay marriage. Why? Because every reason against it is simply stupid. Does this make me a liberal? Socially liberal, perhaps. But I don't agree with everything Democrats do. I didn't even vote democrat in the last election.

I think you should own a gun (well, if you know what you're doing of course). I don't think anyone should be forced to have health insurance.

This is my biggest problem with politics. People are so black and white. Your either a democrat or a republican. That's how people think, and I find that insane. Nothing should even be that simple. If you are a Republican, and the GOP officially makes a statement you don't agree with, guess what... You don't have to agree!

Just because someone supports gay rights doesn't mean they love the ACA or gun control. Don't just assume things.
No, but it does mean they probably voted for it.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
No, but it does mean they probably voted for it.
Did I miss the national referendum in which we all voted on the ACA?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Did I miss the national referendum in which we all voted on the ACA?
What does that have to do with the fact that many gay people are OK denying other constitutional rights to other individuals via the ballot box, the same way they complain others deny them theirs?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Default This is the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A federal court denied a motion from the Staunton Circuit Court Clerk today seeking dismissal of a lawsuit challenging Virginia’s ban on marriage for same-sex couples.
- See more at: Federal Court Denies Motion To Dismiss Lawsuit Against Virginia's Marriage Equality Ban! | Instinct
Please try to address it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No one denies you a right to marriage.
Wrong Harrier, Jrose and other gays and lesbians are not allowed to marry the person they love, that in itself is denying one the same right that straight people enjoy and take for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies