Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Losing my license versus standing back and watching an innocent human life, never to be replaced or replicated in the entire history of the universe, fade away right before my very eyes?

I know what I would have done, and the rules be damned.
its more than just losing their license as a pharmacist, its also the distinct possibility of losing EVERYTHING you have worked for all your life. lets say the pharmacist went ahead and gave the epi pen to the girls mother, and lets say the girl was allergic to that particular brand or rather one of the ingredients in that brand, and died anyway. now the mother can sue the pharmacist for everything and will likely win in court. and the governing body will take the pharmacists license away as well. so one wrong move has now ruined the life of the pharmacist as well as the mother, and the pharmacist pays in the end.

its sad when anyone loses their life without reason, but you cant force anyone to do what you think is right without understanding ALL the consequences of their actions. you might step up and do what you think is right, but the first time you got sued because your actions had unforeseen consequences, you tend to get a little gun shy.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Everyone is too afraid of lawsuits and can't just dispense medication.
Tell that to the pro-vaccine force.

Fascism has zero tolerance.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Allergies are caused by vaccines.

Crime of the century.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
The pharmacist should of given the epipen.... saving a life is more important than DECIDING to follow the rules... whether the parent had a prescription or not is moot when SAVING a life...

Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 AM

There is very little risk in the use for that particular medication, for anyone.

But, I guess you could poke your eye out with one.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The pharmacist should of given the epipen.... saving a life is more important than DECIDING to follow the rules... whether the parent had a prescription or not is moot when SAVING a life...
We don't have enough details yet to judge. We don't know if just the mother or both mother and daughter went in the store. We don't know what was said or if there were others present. We don't know if she spoke to a pharmacist or an inexperienced teenaged clerk. CCTV cameras may shed some light on the timeline and events.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Nothing in common, except processing and packaging facilities. Cross contamination can cause anaphylactic attacks as well, so most people with peanut allergies would be very unlikely to consider foods with tree nuts in them to be safe.

Furthermore, how many people really know the difference? Would you place your life and death trust on someone else's understanding?

The mere fact that something labeled with nuts was on the buffet means that the whole buffet would be considered unsafe by most with peanut allergies because of cross contamination concerns.
This. This is why I don't go to certain restaurants due to my food allergy: cross-contamination concerns.

I myself do not currently carry an EpiPen as I manage my allergy through careful label-reading in supermarkets and careful restaurant selections. However if I did fall victim to my own allergy it would be my fault for not carrying an EpiPen. I realize and accept that.

If I was allergic to peanuts or tree nuts I would always carry an EpiPen, no doubt about it. Those allergies are usually more severe and the risk of cross-contamination is much higher.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
There is very little risk in the use for that particular medication, for anyone.
Yet another example of why NO ONE should rely on random posters on the internet for medical advice.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:41 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,528,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It was a buffet - and the dish was clearly marked "Contains Nuts."

All that aside, it's not the pharmacist's fault, but he certainly didn't act correctly. He should have given them an EpiPen.
I don't know how the Irish medical system works, but if you give a medication that requires a prescription without a prescription in the United States, you will be facing serious consequences.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:45 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
And if the girl died or was severely injured because the pharmacist gave an epi pen the pharmacist would be in jail.

It's a no win situation all around. Pharmacists are not physicians. Hind sight is always 20/20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies