Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

The GOP Is Terrified Obamacare Could Be a Success - The Daily Beast

Remember this meme from a few months back. The gist was that Tea Partiers and the GOP in general were scared to death that Pres. Obama's signature achievement would be a rip-roaring success. They could read the GOP's mind. The above particular retelling comes courtesy of one Jon Favreau, a speechwriter whom Pres. Obama has ironically referred to as his "mind reader."

Anyway just keep this meme in mind the next time a liberal claims to have a psychic power of some kind.

The Leonard Lopate Show: Are Republicans Afraid that Obamacare Will Work? - WNYC

Letter: Tea party is afraid Obamacare will work - Opinion - The Buffalo News

What Republicans Fear Most about Obamacare? That It Will Work - Long Island populist | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
They are absoutly correct, that is why the teabaggers have been kicking the propaganda into overdrive with the ACA. Their biggest nightmare will be that it is a success.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Ok....so what about it? We're supposed to remember why? Your OP doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:37 PM

I think it pretty clearly demonstrates 3 things:

1) the left believed Obamacare would be a rip-roaring success by now and were wrong;
2) the left believed it could read the minds of their political opponents and were wrong;
3) the left is a meme-driven crowd, and they struggle to think for themselves.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
It is pretty much the SOLE weapon liberals have, is to tell you "the other guys intend to hurt you".

No liberal here argues policy. They argue that the people on the other side WANT TO HURT OTHERS. In other words, liberals all claim to have psychic powers, so they can read the minds of all their political opponents. They then use those powers to tell the world that deep down in the farthest reaches of the minds of non-leftists, lurks evil so hideous that if let loose, mass death and destruction and inhuman suffering would be unleashed upon the world in a tidal wave.

The ONLY response they have is "he's a very bad person", to EVERY criticism of policy.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think it pretty clearly demonstrates 3 things:

1) the left believed Obamacare would be a rip-roaring success by now and were wrong;
2) the left believed it could read the minds of their political opponents and were wrong;
3) the left is a meme-driven crowd, and they struggle to think for themselves.

You missed:

4) "Meme" is a nonsensical term meaning nothing and should be banned from intelligent discourse.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
It is pretty much the SOLE weapon liberals have, is to tell you "the other guys intend to hurt you".

No liberal here argues policy. They argue that the people on the other side WANT TO HURT OTHERS. In other words, liberals all claim to have psychic powers, so they can read the minds of all their political opponents. They then use those powers to tell the world that deep down in the farthest reaches of the minds of non-leftists, lurks evil so hideous that if let loose, mass death and destruction and inhuman suffering would be unleashed upon the world in a tidal wave.

The ONLY response they have is "he's a very bad person", to EVERY criticism of policy.
Lol. From the guy whose only response to every post about policy, ideas or facts is "I'm always right and you're wrong, the end."

Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I think there is a better chance of flying pigs crapping on my head than Obamacare being a success.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
You missed:

4) "Meme" is a nonsensical term meaning nothing and should be banned from intelligent discourse.
I find 'meme' a very useful concept in understanding the formation of public opinion. To me it connotes an idea that is spread by sheer contagion/imitation, as opposed to analysis/persuasion.

How else do you explain 4 links from people all saying the same thing, and that thing was something that none of them could have possibly known short of psychic mind-reading ability? It was a classic meme. And of course if you google, you come up with many more than four who repeated the same thing several months ago.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Personally, I get extremely tired of statements from either side (lib or con) claiming to speak for or as an authority of those whose views they claim to represent.

They present no method of verification of their "facts" in support of their statements except for cherry picked comments from highly partisan sources.

It appears that these folk are afraid to see what happens when people use their own logic and come to independent conclusions.

For these reasons (among others) I tend to promptly become skeptical claims of this nature, especially when made in association with a particular point of view of the individual making the claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies