Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Then you should vote accordingly, because it is Congress that ultimately decides the training standards for the military, and the military must comply whether they agree with Congress or not.
No, they don't. Congress may ultimately decide for political reasons that the military must place women in all combat occupations. Congress may also decide that the training standards set by the military are not achieving the political goals they intended and tell the military to change their standards (which the military would lobby against as much as possible). Congress can also appropriate more or less in the budget for training.

But Congress does not decide what the training standards must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,475,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Congress says how many push ups a Marine has to do? Please provide a source. A lot of other stuff, sure.
"[Congress shall have the power] To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;" --- Article I, Section 8, Clause 16, of the US Constitution.

You should give it a read sometime.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:52 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,099,919 times
Quote:
"[Congress shall have the power] To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;" --- Article I, Section 8, Clause 16, of the US Constitution.

You should give it a read sometime.
Yeah, that doesn't make your point. Shocking. Show me in the NDAA where training requirements are set.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, they don't. Congress may ultimately decide for political reasons that the military must place women in all combat occupations. Congress may also decide that the training standards set by the military are not achieving the political goals they intended and tell the military to change their standards (which the military would lobby against as much as possible). Congress can also appropriate more or less in the budget for training.

But Congress does not decide what the training standards must be.
Actually, they do. See Article I, Section 8, Clause 16, of the US Constitution.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Show me a bill that has set standards. You cant. Again you are creating your own facts to provoke outrage.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:

I know what the Constitution says.

But I'm going to say this again: Congress does not decide what the training standards must be.

Now, if you think they ever have, please provide a link to a document created by Congress that specifies the training standard of the military forces.

Maybe they will someday, but they don't do it now and they never have.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Then you should vote accordingly, because it is Congress that ultimately decides the training standards for the military, and the military must comply whether they agree with Congress or not.
And would you vote against a Republican who forced the military to buy equipment they don't want?

Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 PM

39,253 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Please read the following,

"As a combat-experienced Marine officer, and a female, I am here to tell you that we are not all created equal, and attempting to place females in the infantry will not improve the Marine Corps as the Nation’s force-in-readiness or improve our national security…

I can say from firsthand experience in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not just emotion, that we haven’t even begun to analyze and comprehend the gender-specific medical issues and overall physical toll continuous combat operations will have on females…

I am confident that should the Marine Corps attempt to fully integrate women into the infantry, we as an institution are going to experience a colossal increase in crippling and career-ending medical conditions for females…

…this potential change will rock the foundation of our Corps for the worse and will weaken what has been since 1775 the world’s most lethal fighting force.

Read more: Women in Combat? Not So Fast, This Female Officer Says | TIME.com Women in Combat? Not So Fast, This Female Officer Says | TIME.com

Women in Combat? Not So Fast, This Female Officer Says | TIME.com

Old 01-06-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I know what the Constitution says.

But I'm going to say this again: Congress does not decide what the training standards must be.

Now, if you think they ever have, please provide a link to a document created by Congress that specifies the training standard of the military forces.

Maybe they will someday, but they don't do it now and they never have.
Right, and Congress does not enact laws, even though the US Constitution says they do.

I can only point out the facts in black and white. If you choose to completely disregard those facts and remain ignorant, that is your problem, not mine. Whether you like it or not, Congress establishes the training requirements of the military, and the US Constitution gives them that authority. Your denial of that fact does not change that reality.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Please read the following,

"As a combat-experienced Marine officer, and a female, I am here to tell you that we are not all created equal, and attempting to place females in the infantry will not improve the Marine Corps as the Nation’s force-in-readiness or improve our national security…

I can say from firsthand experience in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not just emotion, that we haven’t even begun to analyze and comprehend the gender-specific medical issues and overall physical toll continuous combat operations will have on females…

I am confident that should the Marine Corps attempt to fully integrate women into the infantry, we as an institution are going to experience a colossal increase in crippling and career-ending medical conditions for females…

…this potential change will rock the foundation of our Corps for the worse and will weaken what has been since 1775 the world’s most lethal fighting force.

Read more: Women in Combat? Not So Fast, This Female Officer Says | TIME.com Women in Combat? Not So Fast, This Female Officer Says | TIME.com

Women in Combat? Not So Fast, This Female Officer Says | TIME.com
I would be interesting to note the number and type of injures sustained during training, broken down by gender, so we could see if there is a statistical difference. It should be actual physical factors that determine whether women should be allowed to serve in combat related MOS'. If there is a significant percentage of women who are getting injured during training, when compared to the men performing the same training, then it does not seem like a good idea to incorporate women into a combat related MOS.

The number of women who pass or fail training is of less concern. The tougher the training, the more people are going to fail, and that includes men as well as women. In the Navy, for example, two out of every three men fail to complete the BUD/S Phase 1 training for the SEALs. BUD/S Phase 1 training is the physical conditioning phase, and is seven weeks long. The first two weeks prepare candidates for the third week, also known as "Hell Week." During Hell Week, candidates participate in five and a half days of continuous training, each candidate sleeps at most four hours during the entire week and runs more than 200 miles and does physical training for more than 20 hours per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies