Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,103,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I completely agree. I would like to see one single standard for everyone. If they cannot meet that standard, be they male or female, then they should not qualify to be Marines.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone attempting to become a ground pounder (MOS 0311), providing they are required to pass that one standard. If I knew someone had to go through the exact same training I had to endure and meet the same requirements, then I would feel much more confident with them watching my back. There would be mutual respect because they will have earned it.

Good news! First female Marines attend infantry course > Headquarters Marine Corps > News Article Display It might be sooner then you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,604,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
"Women in the Marine Corps will be allowed into ground combat in 2016"--You know what that will mean there's going to be many unnecessary american deaths in time of war.

Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News
Why the sudden concern?

There were over 4000 unnecessary deaths in Iraq and we'll never be told the real reason for that sacrifice. And the taxpayers will be on the hook for decades paying for the tens of thousands of senselessly wounded. Add another 2000 for Afghanistan. At least we mostly know what that one was for, even though it was allowed to devolve into an unwinnable quagmire.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,493,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Old news, and it is not happening by any stretch of the imagination. This is just another example of Congress playing politically correct with people's lives.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,446,655 times
Quote:
As I previously pointed out, there is a lot more to being a rifleman in the Marine Corps than just being able to shoot accurately. Male riflemen also are required to pass urban combat training, close quarters combat training, and the combat obstacle course, while in basic training.

In male Marine Corps boot camp there are three distinct phases where the recruits are tested both physically and mentally. Should anyone fail one of those tests they are required to repeat that training phase until they get it right. Therefore, they do not graduate with their training platoon, but that does not mean they will not eventually graduate.

There were actually very few who never graduated boot camp at all. Most of those were the result of injury. Depending upon the nature of the injury, recruits may be given a medical discharge.
I don't know if the Marines are doing it, but the Army began using female soldiers as part of urban combat teams in Afghanistan a while back. The commanders found that a woman in a team was much better at calming residents trapped in the middle of a firefight than men, and were better able to extract local intel.

The native women, at least in Afghanistan, are the ones most often still at home when a fight breaks out. A female soldier can get them to open up like no male can in their society. Muslim women are taught to never talk to a strange man, ever. They don't even talk to the males in their families when out in public.

I have no problem with any service woman who can't cut the physical demands of boot camp. If they are washed out, so be it. Those who can should be considered just as fit for the job as any man in every way.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't know if the Marines are doing it, but the Army began using female soldiers as part of urban combat teams in Afghanistan a while back. The commanders found that a woman in a team was much better at calming residents trapped in the middle of a firefight than men, and were better able to extract local intel.

The native women, at least in Afghanistan, are the ones most often still at home when a fight breaks out. A female soldier can get them to open up like no male can in their society. Muslim women are taught to never talk to a strange man, ever. They don't even talk to the males in their families when out in public.

I have no problem with any service woman who can't cut the physical demands of boot camp. If they are washed out, so be it. Those who can should be considered just as fit for the job as any man in every way.
The issue is not whether women can be useful on the front lines, I am absolutely certain they can be. The issue is the double-standard in training requirements. To pretend women are somehow "equal" to men when they do not have to meet the same requirements as men, is the worst kind of politically correct joke that ends up getting people killed.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,279,475 times
Quote:
I completely agree. I would like to see one single standard for everyone. If they cannot meet that standard, be they male or female, then they should not qualify to be Marines.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone attempting to become a ground pounder (MOS 0311), providing they are required to pass that one standard. If I knew someone had to go through the exact same training I had to endure and meet the same requirements, then I would feel much more confident with them watching my back. There would be mutual respect because they will have earned it.
LOL...complete nonsense.

Women and men CAN'T have the same PT test...you have to have two different standards based on physiology alone.

There have always been two standards in the military, and it's worked just fine.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,870,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
"Women in the Marine Corps will be allowed into ground combat in 2016"--You know what that will mean there's going to be many unnecessary american deaths in time of war.

Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News

We all knew this was going to happen. We have the pu---fication of our first responders, too. Consider the NYC fire department's refusat to fire a female probationer even though she'd failed the running test six times. They had to wait for her to quit (under pressure).

BTW, it starts in the schoolyard, with the pu---fication of our boys.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,103,004 times
Quote:
Old news, and it is not happening by any stretch of the imagination. This is just another example of Congress playing politically correct with people's lives.
Utterly false.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,352,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They might......I'd say most men don't know what they are getting themselves into. But then that would be an equal argument. I see this as sadly a way to accomplish my goal. Unfortunately some will have to pay a very high price for that.

As for me if I was king women would not fight on the front line. Call me whatever you want I do not feel bad for holding that position. That said, not being king I would allow women make their own choices here. What is going to happen though is there will be a woman or a number of women captured and what is going to happen to them will most likely turn us away from the idea of war as a way to prop up the economy.
What else would you forbid women to do if you were king?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...complete nonsense.

Women and men CAN'T have the same PT test...you have to have two different standards based on physiology alone.

There have always been two standards in the military, and it's worked just fine.
Says someone who has never served in the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies