Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Coming from Canadistan that means absolutely nothing. Any one of our Girl Scout troops is vastly superior to the Canadian military.
Another ignorant, sophomoric post from someone who is clueless. Canadian Forces are some of the best-trained in the world. Ask anyone who has served side-by-side with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have been in combat and can't remember a time a pull up was required in combat.
What I do know is that if you are in the field humping 80 plus pounds of gear in your pack you better be in shape and no not all women or even most that I trained with can do it. At least not for the distance that is required of their male counterparts. I have met women who made it through ranger training running the same course as their male counterparts...
The Marines official stated purpose for requiring 3 pull ups as part of their fitness test is that in combat situations soldiers may need upper body strength for pulling themselves out of a hole, up on to a roof, or under an impediment. Of course, they may be in a situation where they would need to help pull someone else up.

It does seem logical to require upper body strength. If it is in fact not logical - than reduce it for everyone. Either it is important for front line soldiers or it isn't. Either soldiers pass the test or they don't - regardless of their gender.

What is next, eliminating pull ups for obese males too, as it is unfair for them to be excluded? Allowing diminutive people to be firemen even though they can't carry a body out of a burning building.

Lowering reasonable job standards for the sake of equality doesn't make people equal - in fact it says the opposite.

P.S. Thank you for your service.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Marines official stated purpose for requiring 3 pull ups as part of their fitness test is that in combat situations soldiers may need upper body strength for pulling themselves out of a hole, up on to a roof, or under an impediment. Of course, they may be in a situation where they would need to help pull someone else up.

It does seem logical to require upper body strength. If it is in fact not logical - than reduce it for everyone. Either it is important for front line soldiers or it isn't. Either soldiers pass the test or they don't - regardless of their gender.

What is next, eliminating pull ups for obese males too, as it is unfair for them to be excluded? Allowing diminutive people to be firemen even though they can't carry a body out of a burning building.

Lowering reasonable job standards for the sake of equality doesn't make people equal - in fact it says the opposite.

P.S. Thank you for your service.
Upper body strength is vital, for all the reasons you mentioned, and more. Such as quickly getting a wounded comrade out of the line of fire.

Men have to perform a minimum of 3 pull-ups, and a maximum of 20 pull-ups (some can do more, but the score maxes out at 20), for their PFT. Women have to perform a flexed-arm hang for a minimum of 15 seconds for their PFT. There is no requirement for women to perform any pull-ups in the Marine Corps.

Both men and women have the same requirement of a minimum of 44 sit-ups (a.k.a. crunches), and a maximum of 80, in 2 minutes.

Men must also be able to run 3 miles in a minimum of 28 minutes, and a maximum of 18 minutes. For some strange reason, women can take 3 minutes longer to run the same distance. I am not sure why that would be the case. Are men really that much faster than women that women need an extra minute per mile to keep up?

Source: Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test - Military Fitness - Military.com

Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
Upper body strength is vital, for all the reasons you mentioned, and more. Such as quickly getting a wounded comrade out of the line of fire.

Men have to perform a minimum of 3 pull-ups, and a maximum of 20 pull-ups (some can do more, but the score maxes out at 20), for their PFT. Women have to perform a flexed-arm hang for a minimum of 15 seconds for their PFT. There is no requirement for women to perform any pull-ups in the Marine Corps.

Both men and women have the same requirement of a minimum of 44 sit-ups (a.k.a. crunches), and a maximum of 80, in 2 minutes.

Men must also be able to run 3 miles in a minimum of 28 minutes, and a maximum of 18 minutes. For some strange reason, women can take 3 minutes longer to run the same distance. I am not sure why that would be the case. Are men really that much faster than women that women need an extra minute per mile to keep up?

Source: Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test - Military Fitness - Military.com
Yes, women are just not as fast. It has nothing to do with motivation, just reality. Take the world record mile run - the women's record is 30 seconds slower. Having lower standards for women isn't about PC, it just recognizes the physical differences between the genders.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Yes, women are just not as fast. It has nothing to do with motivation, just reality. Take the world record mile run - the women's record is 30 seconds slower. Having lower standards for women isn't about PC, it just recognizes the physical differences between the genders.
That's the point of the thread.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
We are not talking about Olympic athletes, we talking about your typical 18 year-old American. If women can carry the same weight and march the same distance as men, then they certainly should be able to run the same distance in the same minimum time. Hell, I can walk 3 miles in under 31 minutes, which is the minimum time for women to complete the 3 mile run.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,096,480 times
Quote:
We are not talking about Olympic athletes, we talking about your typical 18 year-old American. If women can carry the same weight and march the same distance as men, then they certainly should be able to run the same distance in the same minimum time. Hell, I can walk 3 miles in under 31 minutes, which is the minimum time for women to complete the 3 mile run.
You could probably also do it in the 28 minutes given to men, so what's your point?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You could probably also do it in the 28 minutes given to men, so what's your point?
That would shift the peak of the bell curve to the left.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
The point is that combat will not take into consideration a woman's lack of strength and cut them slack for it. That is exactly why everyone should be held to the exact same standards. Having lower standards based on gender might make one group feel good because they can pass, but can also get people killed. It's easy to say that there will be enough of the physically stronger on the team to take up the slack. Those who believe that do so because they have never been in and never will be in combat. I had to carry my spotter for miles on my shoulder. I'm sorry but a 5'2 110 pound woman wouldn't be able to do that. She wouldn't be able to drag a 180 pound man 100 feet let alone carry him. Standards need to be the same and not by lowering them.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The point is that combat will not take into consideration a woman's lack of strength and cut them slack for it. That is exactly why everyone should be held to the exact same standards. Having lower standards based on gender might make one group feel good because they can pass, but can also get people killed. It's easy to say that there will be enough of the physically stronger on the team to take up the slack. Those who believe that do so because they have never been in and never will be in combat. I had to carry my spotter for miles on my shoulder. I'm sorry but a 5'2 110 pound woman wouldn't be able to do that. She wouldn't be able to drag a 180 pound man 100 feet let alone carry him. Standards need to be the same and not by lowering them.
Noting the sentence I bolded in the quote, when I mentioned in the post above "shifting the bell curve to the left," I was referring to a hidden problem of accepting a much greater percentage of people who only barely pass the current standards. There would be even less cushion for having "the physically stronger on the team to take up the slack" because the proportion of "physically stronger" will be smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies