Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

"I worked my way through school, I spent nights and weekends studying while my friends were partying. I graduated with top honors and was hired at the bottom rung of the company that hired me. After a few years of working 12-14 hours a day, I was promoted. I lived frugally, paid my taxes and bought a small home. A few years later, after waking up at 5AM and working until 7 or 8 PM everyday, I was promoted again. We decided to have a family so we bought a bigger house in a better neighborhood. After a few more years, and after learning the business that I was in from top to bottom, I decided to take a risk and open my own business. I mortgaged my home and took on a lot of debt.....it was a "make or break" calculated risk, but the payoff was worth it. After a few more years, my business was profitable. I was on my way. I was still working 12-14 hours a day and paying myself last. After some more years of hard work, I was finally earning a comfortable living. Today, I have earned enough money to be considered "wealthy"."

This is the story of most successful "rich people". Remember this the next time you say "the rich aren't paying their fair share!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
More like "I was born into the right family name , with the right connections , or born into an affluent situation, where I had privilege and access to the best schools, best social and economic circles, which led to better college, which opened the doors to many more opportunities; yet instead of being grateful for my good fortune, I act as if I did it all on my own, with no outside help. Then when I "arrive" at the top, I will greedily and mercilessly treated my workers, and/or people I deem "unworthy", like disposable commodities, further increasing my profits and net worth, but hurting the very people who helped make my "success" even possible.
Your scenario, USED to be the case, and on RARE cases, still happens, but a lot of plain luck is required. I know many folks who DO work the 12-14 hr days either just to survive, or they are the first ones to be laid off. Do you really think the rich are so special that they did everything all on their own, and that the tens of millions struggling are suddenly lazy, and shiftless?? Why do people blindly worship the rich, as if they equate wealth with character and human worth????? He/she is rich, they MUST automatically be superior, harder working people who sacrificed all to make it. Please if that were the case dang near everyone I know would be "rich" and there would be a LOT more wealthy out there. Sorry, hard work never hurt anyone, BUT it's also no guarantee of future success anymore.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
I earn enough to be considered wealthy, and I think that the lower middle class and middle class are overtaxed compared to the rich. I think the ultra rich are far undertaxed.

The OP is a complete fail. It is tax rates that are being judged-- Not people. Where as in the inverse it is poor people and their actions which are judged.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"I worked my way through school, I spent nights and weekends studying while my friends were partying. I graduated with top honors and was hired at the bottom rung of the company that hired me. After a few years of working 12-14 hours a day, I was promoted. I lived frugally, paid my taxes and bought a small home. A few years later, after waking up at 5AM and working until 7 or 8 PM everyday, I was promoted again. We decided to have a family so we bought a bigger house in a better neighborhood. After a few more years, and after learning the business that I was in from top to bottom, I decided to take a risk and open my own business. I mortgaged my home and took on a lot of debt.....it was a "make or break" calculated risk, but the payoff was worth it. After a few more years, my business was profitable. I was on my way. I was still working 12-14 hours a day and paying myself last. After some more years of hard work, I was finally earning a comfortable living. Today, I have earned enough money to be considered "wealthy"."

This is the story of most successful "rich people". Remember this the next time you say "the rich aren't paying their fair share!".
Same story here. Yep while everyone was in a panic because they bought houses they couldn't afford and had way too much bad debt. When the economy was crashing I was "building my business". Mac and cheese and worrying about "what the hell did I do" when we took the debt and worked day and night while my friends told me I was just dreaming and wasting my time.

And then Obama and his class warfare comes out of nowhere. Now it's bad to be successful.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 AM

169 posts, read 195,439 times
You gotta love one of Obama's more famous quotes "You didn't build that"

Old 12-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Now it's bad to be successful.
What an absurd statement. Who really thinks this? Who isn't striving for success?

Get your head out of TeaPartyIzRushGlenIStan and smell the real world.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble View Post
You gotta love one of Obama's more famous quotes "You didn't build that"
I've very much built my business. But I am not so blind as not to realize that I was educated in public schools, my office uses public utilities... When it snowed last week the government cleared the roads so everyone could get to work.

But please, there are enough things that Obama has screwed up to not have to resort to taking out of context quotes to criticize him. That's where you lose creditability in my book.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
And then Obama and his class warfare comes out of nowhere. Now it's bad to be successful.
From health care to education to mass transit to Social Security, if a government program helps those in need, Republicans oppose it. They will support tax cuts targeted for the wealthy, while opposing tax cuts targeted for those that aren't wealthy. The Republicans clearly have an overall ideology, and it is reflected throughout their agenda. Which isn't class warfare.

But calling them on it is.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Same story here. Yep while everyone was in a panic because they bought houses they couldn't afford and had way too much bad debt. When the economy was crashing I was "building my business". Mac and cheese and worrying about "what the hell did I do" when we took the debt and worked day and night while my friends told me I was just dreaming and wasting my time.

Again it's NOT bad to be successful, but it DOES matter how you did it. If hard work and sacrifice was all it took, 9 out of 10 Americans would be rich.
Also being successful does not automatically equate with being a better person, same as being poor isn't necessarily a character flaw. I'll put my intelligence and work ethic up against anyones, yet I didn't "make it" until I got to Australia

Old 12-28-2013, 11:07 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What an absurd statement. Who really thinks this? Who isn't striving for success?

Get your head out of TeaPartyIzRushGlenIStan and smell the real world.
If you are successful government taxes the chit out of you. It's just to the point of taking it easy now, why bother if government keeps taking more and more. Kept my employees, pay them well. Won't take any more risk to grow the business which could have led to hiring. Then again, the money I have to pay to the government, paying more than my fair share could have went to hiring people. Many more businesses like this. Oh well, you got what you voted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies