Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:13 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'm tired of a very small groups dragging this country around telling us what our social mores ought to be.
So in your opinion our country is about the collective, not the rights of the individual.

Sorry, but in my country, we aren't supposed to say one group is better or worse, we are all equal in the eyes of the law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Even in same sex marriage, marriage involves ONE spouse per person.

I'm no prude, but I think a lot of the libertarians on this forum who think polygamy is just an arrangement among consenting adults have no idea how polygamy tends to work IRL. It's not a guy and several women deciding to live together as spouses. In general, a MAN takes a wife, then a few years later, another, younger wife, then another, then another, and so forth. Polygamy tends to work out badly for women, also for other men in polygamous communities. Young men often have to leave town to find a partner.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Polygamy is multiple spouses, be those spouse male or female. Perhaps it will be.

The laws and mores about marriage are not the same today as they were one hundred years ago, much less five hundred or a thousand years ago. Ditto many other aspects of society.

You can expect the whole works to change from A to Z.
Polygamy is one man with multiple wives. Polyandry is one woman with multiple husbands. I don't know if there's an official "word" for group sex type marriages.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I'm no prude, but I think a lot of the libertarians on this forum who think polygamy is just an arrangement among consenting adults have no idea how polygamy tends to work IRL. It's not a guy and several women deciding to live together as spouses. In general, a MAN takes a wife, then a few years later, another, younger wife, then another, then another, and so forth. Polygamy tends to work out badly for women, also for other men in polygamous communities. Young men often have to leave town to find a partner.
Yes. Girls are married off at very young ages and teenage boys are often banished from the communities. Women and children in the communities often have little to no contact with the outside world.

Not to mention these people are often welfare kings/queens to the extreme.

Moreover, no one who favors legalizing polygamy has ever explained to me how state-sanctioned polygamous marriage would work logistically given that it's designed for two people.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
If gay marriage is now legal in many states , what valid arguments are there against polygamy ?

Before someone complains about women suffering how about women with multiple husbands ?

What valid argument could be made against people choosing to enter into a polygamous marriage as adults ?

Not that I'm an old school Mormon or support this, I was wondering if this will be the next "civil rights" issue?
Government should not tell me how many I can marry. It really is that simple.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Moreover, no one who favors legalizing polygamy has ever explained to me how state-sanctioned polygamous marriage would work logistically given that it's designed for two people.
It would work just like marriage does today with a few changes. Why do you say it's designed for two people?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:

If that's the criteria we should ban all marriages. Many, if not most, marriages tend to work out badly.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM

599 posts, read 953,875 times
Polygamy is already legal. You can live with as many adults as you want, you just can't sign a marriage license with more than one. Since almost no one gets married anymore anyway, who cares about signing a marriage license?

Utah court ruling eases fear among polygamists - CBS News

The fact that the rate of marriage is approaching zero is driving divorce lawyers crazy. No marriage, no divorce. No alimony to fight over. Hard to keep up the Porsche payments with no customers.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
State recognized marriage should be abolished. Ends all of these arguments. If you want to be married at a southern Baptist Church to one person of the opposite sex, that's your business. It should mean nothing as far as taxation, or mean anything legally
Then where should non religious people get married? Also marriage is just a legal contract binding two people. The government giving benefits to married couples isn't the same as issuing legal binding contracts.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Polygamy is one man with multiple wives. Polyandry is one woman with multiple husbands. I don't know if there's an official "word" for group sex type marriages.
I think the word is orgy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies