Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 AM

5,830 posts, read 7,764,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is why I think it's time for the government to get out of the marriage business. It's not their place to say who can marry who.

There was a time when women and children needed protecting under the law and it made sense to legally recognize marriage. That time has passed.
Government's involvement in marriage goes far beyond the initial contract. How many tax returns do polygamous groups file? Who gets custody in the event of a divorce? Who collects Social Security survivor benefits? Who inherits the estate if there is no will?

That said, there is no longer any argument against multiple party marriage in states that have approved homosexual marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,512,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Polygamy is already legal. You can live with as many adults as you want, you just can't sign a marriage license with more than one. Since almost no one gets married anymore anyway, who cares about signing a marriage license?

Utah court ruling eases fear among polygamists - CBS News

The fact that the rate of marriage is approaching zero is driving divorce lawyers crazy. No marriage, no divorce. No alimony to fight over. Hard to keep up the Porsche payments with no customers.
Only in Utah is it "legal." In most states it is still illegal to purport to be married to multiple people.

I don't believe it's the state's business who lives with whom. That being said, polygamy shouldn't be encouraged and extending the actual benefits of marriage to groups of three or more would be a logistical nightmare.

And where did you ever get the idea that people aren't getting married anymore?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Government's involvement in marriage goes far beyond the initial contract. How many tax returns do polygamous groups file? Who gets custody in the event of a divorce? Who collects Social Security survivor benefits? Who inherits the estate if there is no will?

That said, there is no longer any argument against multiple party marriage in states that have approved homosexual marriage.
Another question - How do you handle a situation where only one of many wants a divorce?

And, yes, there are arguments against marriage of more than two even in states where gay marriage is legal. That really doesn't have anything to do with group marriages.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM

5,830 posts, read 7,764,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Another question - How do you handle a situation where only one of many wants a divorce?

And, yes, there are arguments against marriage of more than two even in states where gay marriage is legal. That really doesn't have anything to do with group marriages.
Sure it does. Both are about expanding criteria for parties eligible to be married.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Only in Utah is it "legal." In most states it is still illegal to purport to be married to multiple people.

I don't believe it's the state's business who lives with whom. That being said, polygamy shouldn't be encouraged and extending the actual benefits of marriage to groups of three or more would be a logistical nightmare.

And where did you ever get the idea that people aren't getting married anymore?
Polygamy is not legal in Utah. It's all "under the radar" there.

Utah's anti-polygamy law: When a man loves 4 women - latimes.com

Legal status of polygamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
** Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states.[17]

Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Polygamy is not legal in Utah. It's all "under the radar" there.

Utah's anti-polygamy law: When a man loves 4 women - latimes.com

Legal status of polygamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
** Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states.[17]
The recent court decision did legalize cohabitation with multiple sexual partners. That's what I was referring to (and part of why I put "legal" in quotes).

Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,180,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'm tired of a very small groups dragging this country around telling us what our social mores ought to be.
Oh the persecution! Are you being told that you MUST marry multiple people or you MUST marry someone of the same sex? I don't believe you are. Why are cons such a bunch of Henny Penny's?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:48 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,998,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I'm talking everyone who works pays it. Right now half of all workers pay no taxes and something like 60% of those get money back they didn't pay in so they pay negative taxes. 15% might prove to be enough. You need to keep in mind that you get to pretty much abolish the IRS with a flat tax no write offs. No write offs means that someone living in a $400K house doesn't get the write off for their huge mortgage. Someone with 12 kids wouldn't get that deduction per child. I think 15% could be enough to run the federal government anyway.

However, I actually would rather see a value added tax or a sales tax instead of an income tax because then you pick up under the table income and illegal aliens and you can decide to not tax things like groceries and medical care. Right now, I buy my groceries with after tax income. While it's nice that I don't pay sales tax on them, I'm really just avoiding double taxation here.

If you don't like a flat tax, go to a sales tax. 20% on all non food/medical sales. You just picked up the drug dealer buying his new Mercedes. Those who spend more pay more. Just slap a 20% tax on all goods and services that are not medical related or food. This would mean everyone would have the right to buy medical insurance with pre tax income instead of just those lucky enough to have medical offered through their employer.

Our current system is a welfare system that takes from the rich to give to the poor and encourages the poor to stay poor.
This isn't a tax thread. But the IRS still is needed, regardless. When you claim to earn $100,000 and pay $15,000, someone has to verify you actually one earned $100,000 and not $500,000.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:55 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,583,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAdragon View Post
The issue is only about what governments want to acknowledge about their civilians. Gay marriage is a matter of gender, monogamy and polygamy are a matter of how many. Monogamy and polygamy should be treated just as technicalities regarding the benefits that married people have from their governments and what they give back to the government and society. And just because state doesn't want to recognise polygamy into the laws, it doesn't mean that more than 2 people cannot live together and share expenses, bedroom and caring of the children.
Didn't gays tell us forever that it was all about love and consenting adults? That there is no standard??

Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM

31,298 posts, read 20,820,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post

There are simple solutions to all of those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies