Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
All good. Just trying to keep it honest. Personally, I think true healthcare reform would be a good thing. Unfortunately, nothing about Obamacare even addresses the main problem with healthcare, which is the exorbitant prices that are charged for it. Under Obamacare, many if not most in the middle class will see their out of pocket expenses go up rather than down. I can't agree with anyone who considers that result to be a good thing.
It might help point out the major problems with our healthcare system and finally take it out of the for profit private industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So because one person thinks Obamacare doesn't go far enough in helping people who weren't covered by insurance...it proves conservatives were right in blocking Obamacare and preventing any type of health care for people who weren't covered?

Honestly, this is a great example to show that conservatives have officially cracked.
And expecting the population to sit back and take it up the butt because your hero lied since he floated this abortion, you have another think coming.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually it has had major improvements on healthcare reform, just ask anyone that has pre-existing conditions.
Thank goodness for people with pre-existing conditions. Ocare needed them to get the bill support and to show its success. for something good from Ocare.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Thank goodness for people with pre-existing conditions. Ocare needed them to get the bill support and to show its success. for something good from Ocare.
My father in law and my wife have pre-existing conditions and thanks to ACA now have insurance instead of being denied in the past.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Now good luck paying for the subsidies.

See, healthy people like me who have had their plans cancelled because the jackass lied, we will go uninsured, pay out of pocket in cash to private practice doctors (and in the process getting a discount) and use the ER for regular care and claiming to be an illegal alien to get out of paying.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
It might help point out the major problems with our healthcare system and finally take it out of the for profit private industry.
There's no reason to take healthcare out of the for profit private industry. The profit is what drives research and innovation. What I would rather see happen is for the insurance companies to be taken out of the healthcare equation other than for catastrophic plans and for us, the consumers, to have a say on market prices. Medical costs would drop drastically if people realized that a) they are the ones footing the bill - not the insurance company, and b) it is perfectly acceptable to negotiate with medical professionals.

Anecdotally, to prove my above point, we are currently between insurance policies (I'd love to blame that fact on Obama, but integrity makes me admit that it is just a juxtaposition of circumstances ). My 9 year old daughter was running a fever last night along with some congestion and a sore throat, so I took her to the doctor today. The doctor's visit normally costs $80 when covered by insurance. When I explained to the doctor what our situation is and that I would be paying cash, the bill was dropped to $60. My daughter was diagnosed with strep throat and prescribed a fairly strong antibiotic since this is the second round of strep in a month. The pharmacy where I went to have the prescription filled originally wanted $130 for her prescriptions. Once again, I explained our situation and that I would be paying in cash (as well as letting it be known that I had no problem taking my business elsewhere to find a better price). After a bit of discussion, the price for her prescriptions was dropped to less than $60 by swapping the name brand to a generic and giving me a 10% discount for paying cash (if you've never had the joy of talking to someone who files insurance claims for a living - which incidentally is what my wife does - you'd be amazed at the amount of manhours that goes into the endeavour). To make a long story short, I saved almost $100 by taking the time to negotiate with medical care providers rather than just signing on a dotted line to authorize a faceless corporation to pay the requested price.

If everyone took the time to negotiate their medical care bills rather than handing that responsibility off to a company whose name they may or may not remember without looking at their insurance card, medical bills would not be nearly as high as they are now.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:03 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
Quote:
I agree, though not necessarily for the same reason. My reasoning is that Obama wanted healthcare reform to be his legacy, and he put massive amounts of effort into getting Obamacare passed. The fact that it does absolutely nothing to reform healthcare should not have any bearing on whether or not he takes both the credit and the blame for the law. His legacy needs to sink or swim alongside his signature legislation.
Quite true.

Obama was fixated on his legacy early on --- largely in part due to the dysfunctional media, who thought they needed to discuss his legacy in the first 100 days.

And you're right, he DID want healthcare reform to be his legacy, which is why he chose to stick with the lie about the circumstances surrounding his mother's death. He basically lied to get Obamacare passed, because god knows if he had been truthful about things back in 2009-10, he NEVER would have been re-elected.

He was the one stupid enough to be caught saying "Obamacare......I like the name, because I DO care" on video. This legislation is his legacy (largely because he hasn't accomplished a damn thing since he's been president), and the blame when it goes south gets hung around his neck as well as the necks of EVERY Democrat who thought it was such a great idea. This is THEIR albatross.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
There's no reason to take healthcare out of the for profit private industry. The profit is what drives research and innovation. What I would rather see happen is for the insurance companies to be taken out of the healthcare equation other than for catastrophic plans and for us, the consumers, to have a say on market prices. Medical costs would drop drastically if people realized that a) they are the ones footing the bill - not the insurance company, and b) it is perfectly acceptable to negotiate with medical professionals.

Anecdotally, to prove my above point, we are currently between insurance policies (I'd love to blame that fact on Obama, but integrity makes me admit that it is just a juxtaposition of circumstances ). My 9 year old daughter was running a fever last night along with some congestion and a sore throat, so I took her to the doctor today. The doctor's visit normally costs $80 when covered by insurance. When I explained to the doctor what our situation is and that I would be paying cash, the bill was dropped to $60. My daughter was diagnosed with strep throat and prescribed a fairly strong antibiotic since is the second round of strep in a month. The pharmacy where I went to have the prescription filled originally wanted $130 for her prescriptions. Once again, I explained our situation and that I would be paying in cash (as well as letting it be known that I had no problem taking my business elsewhere to find a better price). After a bit of discussion, the price for her prescriptions was dropped to less than $60 by swapping the name brand to a generic and giving me a 10% discount for paying cash (if you've never had the joy of talking to someone who files insurance claims for a living - which incidentally is what my wife does - you'd be amazed at the amount of manhours that goes into the endeavour). To make a long story short, I saved almost $100 by taking the time to negotiate with medical care providers rather than just signing on a dotted line to authorize a faceless corporation to pay the requested price.

If everyone took the time to negotiate their medical care bills rather than handing that responsibility off to a company whose name they may or may not remember without looking at their insurance card, medical bills would not be nearly as high as they are now.
I would rather see healthcare be preformed by non profit private and public care, and the money saved have some of it to be used for expanding research. I think too much money goes to the wrong people instead of research.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
I would rather see healthcare be preformed by non profit private and public care, and the money saved have some of it to be used for expanding research. I think too much money goes to the wrong people instead of research.
I agree, but the wrong people are the ones that have absolutely nothing to do with providing healthcare - the insurance companies.

ETA: And thanks to Obamacare, we all get to contribute to them.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
There has always been a number of liberals and Democrats that have always wanted this to be a single payer rather than what ACA is because it doesn't go far enough, which it doesn't.

Is this your admission of Obamacare being bad Law as that is what is?

You can make a thread about your other take on the subject if you aren't interested in addressing this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies