Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

I knew Bob Gates was going to release a book early this year - there are a few early copies out there, so we can expect to hear more coming out in the next couple of days and weeks.

Quote:
In a new memoir, former defense secretary Robert Gates unleashes harsh judgments about President Obama’s leadership and his commitment to the Afghanistan war, writing that by early 2010 he had concluded the president “doesn’t believe in his own strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his. For him, it’s all about getting out.”

It is rare for a former Cabinet member, let alone a defense secretary occupying a central position in the chain of command, to publish such an antagonistic portrait of a sitting president.
I can't say this surprises me at all - you didn't have to be a Washington insider to understand that there are some serious problems with Obama's Foreign Policy and Defense Policy. Obama was very effusive about Gates when he insisted on leaving - heaped tons of praise on him, gave him medals and BEGGED him to stay. It says a lot about former Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates that he never showed what he really thought of Obama's lack of leadership - he accepted the Job and he followed orders. It's always amazed me that Obama and his Team are so totally Tone Deaf to the American People and even to his own advisors. Obama thinks he always knows best and at the end of the day - he remains both incompetent and clueless.

Robert Gates, former defense secretary, offers harsh critique of Obama’s leadership in ‘Duty’- Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
He actually has high praise for Hillary Clinton, and praises the president as a rigorous thinker who frequently made decisions “opposed by his political advisers or that would be unpopular with his fellow Democrats.”
link for qoute:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/wo...=politics&_r=0
He does go after Biden and almost all of the presidents advisers.

So make up your mind, is the president a "rigorous thinker" or not?

Is this book about the truth, or making money?

Keep in mind...he is a holdover from the prior Republican administration.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
It will be interesting to watch how the Obama administration reacts. I expect Gates to be trashed, Chicago-style, at a minimum, even though Obama said a lot of nice things about him in public.

Charles Lipson quips:
By the time Jay Carney finishes whitewashing this, he'll have a beard longer than a Hasidic rabbi.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:20 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Keep in mind...he is a holdover from the prior Republican administration.

^Basically that..

Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
or
Maybe Gates knows what he is talking about?
Almost 3 times the number of soldiers killed under Obama in 2 less years? Either our soldiers became really bad soldiers right after Obama took the helm or his policy and leadership changes had a negative impact.
All the Blatant lies? The lame excuses?
I would say that perhaps Gates might have some valid points.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
In a new memoir, former defense secretary Robert Gates unleashes harsh judgments about President Obama’s leadership and his commitment to the Afghanistan war, writing that by early 2010 he had concluded the president “doesn’t believe in his own strategy, and doesn’t consider the war to be his. For him, it’s all about getting out.
Getting out of Afghanistan is exactly what we should have been doing. This just makes me like Obama more.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM

781 posts, read 737,012 times
Bad news? Meh, not much sticks to the teflon president. Especially when it comes to the believers that make up his cult of personality. Their belief is religious in nature. They'll make up excuses or refuse to believe anything or something of that nature.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I knew Bob Gates was going to release a book early this year - there are a few early copies out there, so we can expect to hear more coming out in the next couple of days and weeks.

I can't say this surprises me at all - you didn't have to be a Washington insider to understand that there are some serious problems with Obama's Foreign Policy and Defense Policy. Obama was very effusive about Gates when he insisted on leaving - heaped tons of praise on him, gave him medals and BEGGED him to stay. It says a lot about former Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates that he never showed what he really thought of Obama's lack of leadership - he accepted the Job and he followed orders. It's always amazed me that Obama and his Team are so totally Tone Deaf to the American People and even to his own advisors. Obama thinks he always knows best and at the end of the day - he remains both incompetent and clueless.

Robert Gates, former defense secretary, offers harsh critique of Obama’s leadership in ‘Duty’- Washington Post
He trashed the Congress even worse, but this is how they sell their books after leaving office. Gotta say something to make them sell.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He trashed the Congress even worse, but this is how they sell their books after leaving office. Gotta say something to make them sell.
One of my many arguments here is that congress should have FAR more blame for most everything rather then a president.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Getting out of Afghanistan is exactly what we should have been doing. This just makes me like Obama more.
And what about the loss of 3 times more soldiers than the previous admin? Does that make him a good commander and chief? Understand that Generals on down to front line soldiers operate under the parameters defined by their civilian leadership.

Last edited by tinman01; 01-07-2014 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies