Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 10:20 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

I'll take Bach or Beethoven.

Or this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRsnMGA5H1k

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz6vuNq7s

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
Oh yes poppy with rapping totally doesn't describe Drake right?

Hip hop will inevitably change and take different forms, not all of these forms will be good but it's a good thing this happens, keeps things fresher, adds more influences, greater diversity, etc.
What the HipHop community accepts and respects as hiphop has not changed. What has changed is the acceptance of more a main stream, commercial, politically correct, and friendly version that is more marketable and acceptable by Whites who do not like real & traditional hiphop. Because of this, you belive that his "version" is better and you want to reclassify it into what it is not... Drake is respected and being played, but Macklemore is not being listened to by the hiphop community.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO@ you trying to separate Metal from Rock.

That's impossible. Metal is rock and roll. Hell, most people can't even define the difference between what Metal is and what Rock is.

For good reason...there is no difference. There are bands I can describe as metal that others can easily say don't fit the definition of the genre.

Metal is a nebulous term....doesn't mean anything.
I think you can say a band like Black Sabbath is metal and one of the first if not the first, if you can't hear the difference beween tehm and the Beatles you need your hearing checked. AC/DC often classified as metal in my eyes is better defined as Hard Rock and Led Zeppelin also often associated with metal falls into the Metal, Hard Rock, Soft Rock and blues category depending on what song you are listening too. I'll just put them into one of the best bands of all time, you really need to listen unadulterated liver versions form the very early 70's to understand just how god they were.

There isn't whole lot of pure metal bands around many fall into subsets like the "Hair Metal" bands of the 80's. Then you have a band like Rush, they fit into the Rush category.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM

733 posts, read 940,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
What the HipHop community accepts and respects as hiphop has not changed. What has changed is the acceptance of more a main stream, commercial, politically correct, and friendly version that is more marketable and acceptable by Whites who do not like real & traditional hiphop. Because of this, you belive that his "version" is better and you want to reclassify it into what it is not... Drake is respected and being played, but Macklemore is not being listened to by the hiphop community.
This mainstreamm commercial version has been along long before Macklemore, I mean are you really rallying against commercialized hip hop while endorsing Drake, Kanye West and Jay Z? And FYI I don't listen to Macklemore I listen to Psycho Realm, HGS Savage Family, Immortal Technique, etc. I may not like Macklemore's aesthetic but that don't mean it ain't hip hop, maybe it's not liked by the people you **** with that don't mean Seattle or wherever he's from ain't accepting it.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Since when music became a color?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Since when music became a color?
It's America... Everything is about color apparently.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No it's not music. We're all just imagining things.

Look, there's obviously a sonic difference in Bob Seger and Metallica, but that's to be expected.

Funny you would compare then to Seger, they covered him:

Metallica - Turn The Page - YouTube

Here's another cover of Lynrd Skynrd that does not deviated from the original:

Metallica - Tuesdays Gone - YouTube

Quote:
For example, Van Halen's debut album is one of the hardest and toughest sounding rock and roll albums of all time. It's a smorgasbord of guitar riffs and mesmerizing solos ever heard up until that time. You can put it on right now all these years later, and it still shakes your soul to the core.

Back then, everyone considered to be "heavy metal." To me it was just rock.
Agree Van Halen is hard Rock and Roll like AC/DC.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
This mainstreamm commercial version has been along long before Macklemore, I mean are you really rallying against commercialized hip hop while endorsing Drake and Jay Z? And FYI I don't listen to Macklemore I listen to Psycho Realm, HGS Savage Family, Immortal Technique, etc. I may not like Macklemore's aesthetic but that don't mean it ain't hip hop, maybe it's not liked by the people you **** with that don't mean Seattle or wherever he's from ain't accepting it.
Yes, they make commercial releases, but they still have street records and songs on their albums. They still have noncommercial origins. They still have non commercial mixtapes...

Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 PM

733 posts, read 940,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Yes, they make commercial releases, but they still have street records and songs on their albums. They still have noncommercial origins. They still have non commercial mixtapes...
Hold up I've been looking at this Macklemore dude's wiki, he ain't commercial or mainstream he just reached some mainstream success, he ain't signed to a label or nothing. He made a song called thrift shop where he trying to get discounts at a thrift shop. He's like a hipster, like white Kanye XD.

Wait what are Kanye's noncommercial origins I wanna know, he was producing with Jay Z then released his first album with Jay's label, that don't sound noncommercial to me.

And street records? This **** about street authenticity? Jay Z is from Biggie's hood but Kanye and Drake? Kanye was middle class, Drake was on Degrassi XD

Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Hold up I've been looking at this Macklemore dude's wiki, he ain't commercial or mainstream he just reached some mainstream success, he ain't signed to a label or nothing. He made a song called thrift shop where he trying to get discounts at a thrift shop. He's like a hipster, like white Kanye XD.

Wait what are Kanye's noncommercial origins I wanna know, he was producing with Jay Z then released his first album with Jay's label, that don't sound noncommercial to me.

And street records? This **** about street authenticity? Jay Z is from Biggie's hood but Kanye and Drake? Kanye was middle class, Drake was on Degrassi XD
Macklemore's music is commercial and not what is considered real hiphop.

JayZ grew up around and knew Biggie and Nas before even starting his rap career. JayZ is from the streets. JayZ lived the HipHop life style. JayZ has had songs with Nas, Biggie, Tupuc, and other HipHop artist that are revered as being the best of all time BEFORE he was a commercially known as he is today. Kanye also was in the background and was in the business selling beats and what not long before his commercial appeal. Kanye was selling beats to some of the most respected people in hiphop long before he was signed. Kanye and JayZ's first records were not commercial in anyway. They all were know and had established themselves in the HipHop community long before kids in the suburbs knew who they were. Kanye was touring with Talib Kweli (and others) and battling with Mos Def (unsuccessfully) before he was a house hold name. Both still put out underground and also had a lot of noncommercial content out and about even while releasing commercial tracks to boost their album sales.

Drake is half and half. He aligned himself with from the ground up big name artist. Yes he puts out commercial music, but he also does street mixtapes, features with other respected hiphop artist, and puts out a lot of hip hop music on top of the r&p, rap, pop mixture that he puts out. You might not see it or do not want to see it, but there is a clear line between Macklemore's music and whats regarded as HipHop in the HipHop community....

With all that said, many argue that much of the music that Kanye and Drake are putting out now isn't HipHop as well. Many down drake for all the singing and others what the old rapping Kanye back..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies