Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 02:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,053,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

Jon Connor - Don't Wanna Be ft Lia Mack - YouTube

This is what happens before a Hip Hop artist crosses over to main stream. It becomes BS after that.
Before he crosses over? Sorry but when you base your entire "hit" on someone else's work which is mainstream and on every radio station in the country you've crossed over a long time ago.

Gavin DeGraw - I Don't Want To Be [Lyrics On Screen] - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM

12,967 posts, read 13,698,800 times
The direction of an art form is not as significant as the inception of the same art form. “A God can create and a man can only evolve" It’s the same with Blues, Eric Clapton will always make more money and determine the direction of Blues. He is only evolving it not creating it. Music appreciation courses an wiki are not going to make mention of very many white hip hop artist beyond the contribution of the Beasties.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,841,316 times
What an ignoramus. Music is universal.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,552,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Which find their origins in Ireland and Scotland. Blacks stole the music from their white slave masters.

You obviously don't know music.

Blues did NOT originate in Scotland. Which is not to deny that there might be some Celtic influences, just as the Scots Irish in the South incorporated more syncopation in the music and added the banjo. In the early days the black slaves/indentures lived with the Scots-Irish slaves/indentures.

People in contact with each other will hear something that they like and incorporate it. Indeed most white Americans outside of the South dance (or attempt to dance) more like Africans than Europeans. They aren't even aware of it, but their notion of dancing has come from watching black Americans over the past 100 years. Black American dance is basically an evolution of African dance forms.

Do people from one culture have a right to copy some aspects of culture from another> Sure as we all do. Some because we had no choice (the descendants of slaves, and colonized groups). Some because we have to survive in a new society so must incorporate some basic rules of the game (all immigrant groups). And some because we just think that what another culture does is cool. I will cite the mutual appropriation of style by the black hip hop, and the "guido" Italian Americans. Both male dominated urban sub cultures.

It is wrong when;

1. it is used to ridicule (the Coon shows of 100 year ago, or some "ghetto" skits performed by todays frat boy gatherings).

2. when there has been copy right infringements, or just naked exploitation of artists from a particular group (frequent in the 50s and early 60s when white groups covered music by black acts without compensating them).

3. or if a white artist gets additional opportunities, purely because he is white, as Eminem admits, though no fault of his own. Maybe a novelty factor, or because the labels thought that he was more saleable to white kids. Even Pitbull has said the same thing.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hip Hop started as as a blend of Jamaican toasting and dub, and the sampling and manipulation of 70s German electronic music.

Only Jamaicans and Germans -residing in the Bronx- should have a say in the direction of Hip Hop.

Except that Jamaicans themselves incorporated black American style in the ska. Indeed ska developed when the "rougher" R&B styles of the late 50s was replaced by the smoother Motown. The DJs used to toast over the older R&B styles, but Motown didn't lend itself to that, so they had to do something different. Indeed if one hears the older versions of ska they would wonder whats "Jamaican" about it, except of course for the accent and the use of patwa.

Interestingly enough that older R&B music is still popular among older West Indians (the over 50 group) even though many of them are too young to say that they grew up with it.

Indeed when whites "took away" rock & roll, and made it rock black audiences drifted away. Cultures evolve and borrow. If specific songs are used the artist should be paid, but aside from that its just a fact of life.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:10 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,538,445 times
Not sure anyone would want to associate with that culture anyways.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Muzik_NJ View Post
I don't have much to add to the bulk of your post prior, but on this note.. Em might have just been being PC. IMO, he was. For anybody that knows hip-hop, knows that Em is one of the best lyricists of all time and he was an extremely credible artist off merit alone. Him and Pitbull do not belong in the same conversation. They are both white and that is strictly where the comparisons end.

Not to disagree with you, but Eminem was the first serious white rapper to gain popularity, so he became great white hope of the record industry. Indeed I suspect his quality is because he had to build his rep before he became visible, so had to be better than the black rappers to be allowed to perform. However when he was "discovered" then his white privilege became a factor.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,876,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's always black art forms that are subject to cultural appropriation. He raised a good point. Latin Americans, though they speak Spanish, can't go to Spain and dictate the direction of the country.

Lord Jamar White Rappers Are Guests In Hip Hop - YouTube
The guy is a racist. Who cares what he says?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Not sure anyone would want to associate with that culture anyways.

What culture are you griping about. If its the gangsta element of hip hop I can say the same about the violent element of heavy metal (preferred by young white supremacists groups globally) and grunge which some argue legitimized drug use, and some argue suicide.

Because a negative sub element becomes influential over an art form doesn't negate that art form for its fans. I hate heavy metal because to me its incoherent noise, and nothing to do with the young white disaffected bigots who like it.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,538,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
What culture are you griping about. If its the gangsta element of hip hop I can say the same about the violent element of heavy metal (preferred by young white supremacists groups globally) and grunge which some argue legitimized drug use, and some argue suicide.

Because a negative sub element becomes influential over an art form doesn't negate that art form for its fans. I hate heavy metal because to me its incoherent noise, and nothing to do with the young white disaffected bigots who like it.
I don't listen to heavy metal so I am not qualified to give an opinion on it. Yes the thug life culture is what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies