Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You have to convince yourself to become a "team player", make no mistake, management knows who is, and who isn't, and with your attitude, they know you are not (unless you are really good at masking your true feelings, and you might be. Or you might just think you are and they still know)

Most people cannot stay under the radar forever, somewhere, sometime, you will be asked to step up, and you should get yourself mentally ready for that time. I've convinced myself to be a "team player" with people I have no interest in being on a team with, but oh well, the world is an imperfect place.

You gotta do what ya gotta do.
I am a very good team player I just do not strive to make the all star team. I take great pride in my attendance and strive every year for it to be perfect. Lets compare that to one of my co workers who has missed more days calling off in 3 months then I have in 7 years. Now who is the real team player?

I have been offered a supposedly supervisor position I guess they were asking me to step up. I declined because I did not want to be the fall guy for their lousy employees for a whole whopping 25 cents more an hour. Management was not happy but I stayed employed at the company for several years after and they never asked me again. I guess they I knew I told the truth, why would I want more responsibility for a extra 10 bucks a week, only a real idiot would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I am a very good team player I just do not strive to make the all star team. I take great pride in my attendance and strive every year for it to be perfect. Lets compare that to one of my co workers who has missed more days calling off in 3 months then I have in 7 years. Now who is the real team player?

I have been offered a supposedly supervisor position I guess they were asking me to step up. I declined because I did not want to be the fall guy for their lousy employees for a whole whopping 25 cents more an hour. Management was not happy but I stayed employed at the company for several years after and they never asked me again. I guess they I knew I told the truth, why would I want more responsibility for a extra 10 bucks a week, only a real idiot would do that.
You have to take the long view. The experience you gain in such a position will lead to a better job with another company, you are digging in your heels with an employer you don't respect, you should be looking to make more money elsewhere with an employer you can respect. Or maybe just make more money if the other option is not available.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
There is something else in that story: the fact that employers or supervisors don't discipline poor employees because of all the hassle and possible court problems they now have to go through. Is that an excuse for letting poor employees get away with what they do? How do they deal with these new PC judgments?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
One editorial that I saw says "the work ethic is dead". But is it? Or do we just have a new and different work ethic. "I spent eight hours on your property. I deserve my pay check even if I didn't measure up.

The mistake is any assumption or belief that the work-ethic is any different. Human beings are smart and intelligent creatures who will always maximize the reward while doing the minimum amount of work.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Cynical as hell, but not an unreasonable position I guess.

I've been promoted twice in the last year, and I'd like to think it wasn't because of butt kissing. Still though, I've noticed that some of my underlings felt the same way you do and I wanted to change that.

This company is good for awarding people at the management and executive level, but a fund exists that allows management to give cash awards and big box store gift cards to deserving employees on a monthly basis. I decided last year to put it to good use.

Attitudes seem to be better although some folks are peeved that previous managers knew about the awards and rarely ever gave them out to anyone.
Ahh the cynicism that brings to mind. A prior company had one of those funds. They used in in place of a raise while we were making great profits. Well let me rephrase that...the C level folks still got raises....since they couldn't get nominated for the cash awards.

I remember getting a 5K bonus, realizing..hey thats not so bad I did the same as if I had gotten a raise....then realized...yeah that 5K was a one time payment, with little guarantee I'd get it ever again (the average bonus was 1/10th of that). And id worked HARD for that bonus.

Then I watched the people around me realise...work ethic didnt matter. it was all politics for promotion. No one actually got ahead by working hard, it was all about "me". If the company folded no one cared-the C levels had golden parachutes (amazing ones in fact!), while everyone else knew they were disposable. And that how hard they worked didnt matter-it was the perception that mattered.

The work ethic has been killed by the "Greed is good" ethic. and that ethic really is all about internal politics.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
There is something else in that story: the fact that employers or supervisors don't discipline poor employees because of all the hassle and possible court problems they now have to go through. Is that an excuse for letting poor employees get away with what they do? How do they deal with these new PC judgments?

Okay. . people are fired all the time. Some are decent enough employees. United States has one of the most employer friendly laws regarding firing/hiring as any country in Europe.

The only fact here, is that your misinformed about how easy it is to fire people. . .

Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahh the cynicism that brings to mind. A prior company had one of those funds. They used in in place of a raise while we were making great profits. Well let me rephrase that...the C level folks still got raises....since they couldn't get nominated for the cash awards.

I remember getting a 5K bonus, realizing..hey thats not so bad I did the same as if I had gotten a raise....then realized...yeah that 5K was a one time payment, with little guarantee I'd get it ever again (the average bonus was 1/10th of that). And id worked HARD for that bonus.

Then I watched the people around me realise...work ethic didnt matter. it was all politics for promotion. No one actually got ahead by working hard, it was all about "me". If the company folded no one cared-the C levels had golden parachutes (amazing ones in fact!), while everyone else knew they were disposable. And that how hard they worked didnt matter-it was the perception that mattered.

The work ethic has been killed by the "Greed is good" ethic. and that ethic really is all about internal politics.
Good point. I am seeing something. You worked hard for reward. Maybe you got it; maybe you didn't. But you did still have your job. "Way back when" you worked hard to keep from being laid off. Sometimes you could be laid off simply because they found someone with more experience than you had. You turned out to be a temporary until they found someone else. Sometimes it was even worse where women were concerned. You were made head of your office and you did well. Suddenly you were out because they found a man to do the job. Sorry, men, but that is fact.

So, maybe today the work ethic is to simply hold onto your job backed by the PC-ness that says prove you had good reason to lay the person off. Prove he/she was doing a bad job. Sounds good until you realize it also protects those who weren't doing such a good job - who were doing just enough to get by.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay. . people are fired all the time. Some are decent enough employees. United States has one of the most employer friendly laws regarding firing/hiring as any country in Europe.

The only fact here, is that your misinformed about how easy it is to fire people. . .
I am not too sure it is all that easy any more. It is for those who do not know the ropes and have no union (or other kind of) protection. I am thinking of groups who have tenure with specific reasons to get fired and those may not include shirking on the job. I am sure everyone knows of such cases.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
This past week, I experienced a mail carrier who decided not to finish her route and posted false information to make it look as though she did
As somebody who once delivered mail for the USPS, this doesn't make any sense to me. How do you know the mail carrier did not finish her route, what did she post, where did she pot it, and how was the posting false?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As somebody who once delivered mail for the USPS, this doesn't make any sense to me. How do you know the mail carrier did not finish her route, what did she post, where did she pot it, and how was the posting false?
On the Track Package site, she posted twice that she had tried to deliver a package and could not. She had never been here and, as everyone in this area will attest, she never did come around to us. No one got any mail that day. When I talked with the supervisor, he said she had to put something there and that was the only choice she had. If that was her only choice, someone has done a poor job of programming possibilities.

Did she have a good reason for not finishing her route? We do not know. No one volunteered any explanation. So, we are left to our own conclusions there. What troubles me is those postings that she had tried to deliver a package twice. If she had, she'd have found me home. So, those postings were false.

I hope that explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies